Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Introductions Hi! I'm New Here!

Introduction Stage

Welcome! Come on over and tell us a bit about yourself~

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby ThePaul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Although, it is really hard for us folks not down there to tell the differences between the accents of ""you guys," though. Or is there not actually a difference between Austrian and the Polynesian accents? /swt2
I am not a reasonable man.
User avatar
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 am
Location: Florida

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby Alexx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Farore wrote:Oh man, I know how that is. If I can get something on a console rather than PC I do. I hate playing with a keyboard so much. It isn't so much the keyboard as the mouse though, and I think I finally figured out what it is. If any mouse movement that does not require a click moves the screen it makes me feel carsick. We played Dungeon Defenders this weekend and I tried a round using the keyboard; I didn't realize there was built in voice chat with open mic. Almost positive that some poor people heard my pitiful whimpering.

If you do end up playing anything that you want to use a controller for may I suggest you use a wired X360 controller. As I found out wireless ones cannot be plugged in with a play and charge cable but require a Wireless receiver. PS3 could be plugged in with the charge cable but needed drivers.

Interesting! I didn't know you could plug a 360 controller into the computer. MAN I feel old. When I was a kid I would plug any and all plugs wherever they could fit just to see if they worked and the results. Back in the day when I didn't have a CD player I would use some cords to plug my PS1 into my radio, memorize the CD player screen on the TV, and use the thing as a CD player in my room. The radio was up on a dresser, so I stretched the controller out to the side of my bed and used it from there.

Anyway, I may try that out, but I still have a junky little laptop and I don't think there are many games I could fully run on it.

Pie wrote:Welcome to the forums Alexx! XD

yes, Chrono Cross... Great music, but I think they really tried too hard to make it a sequel when all the blocks just weren't there. '_' A few things I want to say about the game:

Don't you love:
1) how they brought back Robo from Chrono Trigger?... Just so they can KILL HIM just a few seconds after Serge and party meet him for the first time! Robo's death 5:37 in
2) how much trouble it was to read Harle's dialogue since she had such a strong accent and her dialogue was all written phonetically?

aaaargh, and I can't stand how it seemed like they tried to add Chrono Trigger references JUST for the sake of doing it! >.< -and like you said, how some of the facts in Chrono Cross didn't correlate with Chrono Trigger facts. One being that Chrono Cross claims that human existence was the result of evolution that was triggered by Lavos falling to Earth, but in Chrono Trigger, Ayla and her tribe existed before Lavos fell. '_'

Yes, Robo was yet another building block that connects to your final comment there. The idea of adding Chrono Trigger just for the sake of doing it is pretty much how I feel. At first I figured it was just a new game - cools, whatever. But then they drop some REAL bombshells on you and you find out that CT is very much connected...but it doesn't really have much effect, you know? I didn't want them to just recreate CT, but I would have liked something that did more than just nod in CT's general direction and say "Oh yeah, this is sorta in the same world I guess." I mean, they spend SO MUCH time telling you the story of that world, then they throw it out all the window, toss in CT, force them to connect...it was all just too much. The games needs an editor. Someone needed to say: "Okay. I see where you are going, but this is too much. Cut some things out, connect others, and make this one cohesive story." You can of course connect everything together; there aren't holes, per say, but it's way too huge and awkward.

But...blah, I have to stop as well. As I said earlier in the thread: I could debate this endlessly! Thank you for the welcome!

Tehwilburforce wrote:An actual retro gamer? Who would rather die than play Halo (or even Mario 64)? I didn't even know those actually existed. lol. Anyway, welcome to our corner of the interwebs. As I have told many others before, I am the town pyro and Bear usually manages to keep me out of trouble (barely). I was still a wee youngling when such games as Chrono Trigger were all the rage, but I am still trying to discover games that I never had the chance to play (I have the PS re-release of CT as a matter of fact). I'm really glad to see that we now have a really unique gaming perspective amongst our group.

Ha! Well I wouldn't say I would rather "die" than play Halo. I've played Halo...it was all shooty 'n stuff. I'm just a terrible shot with those types of games and they don't interest me much. And I do like Mario 64! It's just...I dunno. The thing people seem to say is that one is better than the other - but that's not true. They're different. 2D and 3D games, I mean. Classic Mario isn't better or worse than 3D Mario...it's just a different style of game. I'm a BIG fan of 2D side-scrolling action, so there's that. It's not that I prefer the nostalgia, it's just what I grew up with so it's what I'm good at. I played Mario 64 and I certainly liked it, but as a completely new game and not as a Mario game (heck, I liked Mario Sunshine WAAAAY more anyway).

So I'm not completely behind the times, but I will say that the games from the XboxLive and Playstation Network are probably interesting me more than a lot of the big-name stuff nowadays. The stuff with the online stores seem to be where my interests are moving to. The 3D relm of 3rd person views is moving along in the spotlight, and the styles of gameplay that were with me through childhood and up are evolving in the downloadable games area. As I said: at some point someone said "3D is the way to go! It is better!" and everyone followed suit. They thought there wasn't anything else to do with the side-scrolling realm, but thankfully a lot of independent creators knew that wasn't true, and now they're finally able to show us that.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
User avatar
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 am
Location: The big 'ol Mitten

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby RollCasket » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Well Wilbur I'd say a few of us here are already pretty retro, though I know for myself I didn't say a whole lot of anything in my intro thread lol.

My first gaming machines were the Commodore 64 and Atari, though I forget which model Atari...but that's not really important since I played the C64 WAY more.

As far as 2D vs 3D I think it really just depends on the game. As Alexx said, they're just different experiences. Though I DO know that when I heard Metroid Prime was going to be 3D, I was sure they didn't know what they were doing and were ruining the series because I loved Super Metroid so much and wouldn't dream of it any other way. Amazingly, Prime is awesome, I definitely wouldn't say I like it better, but it's not because it's 3D, just because Super has so many things that makes it great.
ImageIcon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
User avatar
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby Pie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:24 pm

oh Wilbur... about Chrono Trigger on the PS, I recommend you either play on a snes emulator or play off an actual snes cartridge because Squaresoft's PS rereleases all suffer from bad loading times compared to the snes originals. From what I remember, for Chrono Trigger, I think there are slight load times between battles and music takes a few seconds to boot up in some places. ^^; - but If you have no other choice, I suppose being able to play the game is better than not. XD
Image
User avatar
Pie
High Archer LV 63/45
High Archer  LV 63/45
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:44 pm
Location: Cookie Crunch!

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby Farore » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 pm

2D and 3D are definitely very different. I've heard a lot of people say "Oh, 2D games are so much easier than 3D, you don't have to deal with depth". I call cow poo. Each type of game is challenging in its own way. It's very much like trying to compare bananas to pomegranates. I feel bad for people that automatically exclude a game simply because they find out it's 2D rather than 3D. It seems so strange that in the realm of video games anything considered "old" is brushed off and considered useless. Where else do we do that? Is a recipe considered useless because someone came up with it years ago? For that matter why do we still have hand-held saws and non power tools? Pretty sure Craftsman still makes a regular old screw driver.

I know that rehashing the same things over and over will get very old, but I also don't think game developers need to try to completely reinvent the wheel. I still can't get over the fact that someone said text boxes were old and outdated. As they say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
User avatar
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby ThePaul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:04 pm

Scrubs write off old books and movies and other stuff all the time. /swt2

That's why they're scrubs, though. /no1
I am not a reasonable man.
User avatar
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 am
Location: Florida

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby Alexx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:01 am

RollCasket wrote:My first gaming machines were the Commodore 64 and Atari, though I forget which model Atari...but that's not really important since I played the C64 WAY more.

As far as 2D vs 3D I think it really just depends on the game. As Alexx said, they're just different experiences. Though I DO know that when I heard Metroid Prime was going to be 3D, I was sure they didn't know what they were doing and were ruining the series because I loved Super Metroid so much and wouldn't dream of it any other way. Amazingly, Prime is awesome, I definitely wouldn't say I like it better, but it's not because it's 3D, just because Super has so many things that makes it great.

Yay, Atari! I don't feel as old now! My first was the Atari 400; something that was supposed to be like a home computer. My parents had bought it for themselves actually, but naturally my brother and I played it the most. I dug it out of my Dad's basement a few years back...but the thing only makes a light "eeeeeeee" noise and nothing else when you plug it in. Rest in peace old buddy.

Anyway the Prime series never caught on for me; I just can't stand first person views. I DO wana give it another shot, though. The Wii collection is actually supposed to have a good control scheme, so we'll see. Like you I have such an intense love for Super Metroid that I find it hard to really enjoy a 3D Metroid game. I did enjoy Other M (even if Samus was annoying as heck) but there are still a lot of things I would have changed. A good example of me taking to the 3D realm with success would be where your name comes from: Mega Man Legends. I TOTALLY got into those! Which, of course, makes me a part of the many whose hopes were dashed upon the rocks by Capcom. Oh well...

Farore wrote:2D and 3D are definitely very different. I've heard a lot of people say "Oh, 2D games are so much easier than 3D, you don't have to deal with depth". I call cow poo. Each type of game is challenging in its own way. It's very much like trying to compare bananas to pomegranates. I feel bad for people that automatically exclude a game simply because they find out it's 2D rather than 3D. It seems so strange that in the realm of video games anything considered "old" is brushed off and considered useless. Where else do we do that? Is a recipe considered useless because someone came up with it years ago? For that matter why do we still have hand-held saws and non power tools? Pretty sure Craftsman still makes a regular old screw driver.

I know that rehashing the same things over and over will get very old, but I also don't think game developers need to try to completely reinvent the wheel. I still can't get over the fact that someone said text boxes were old and outdated. As they say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Lol, yeah if "3D is easier than 2D" were true, then my little nephew wouldn't have so many problems playing the classic stuff that I grew up with. It's the same with me having trouble with some 3D games; it's just all in what you grew up with. He's used to 3D so he can pick up just about anything recent and play no problem, while I can pick up 2D and know what I'm doing. Neither is easier than the other; we just have different stuff that we're used to.

'Course a lot of what is tough about older games is that the goal was often to get as far as you could, so they were as punishing as possible to get you to remember what you've done and eventually do it right. The goals change a lot over time; kinda like how the goals in the Atari days were high scores. That bored me pretty quick, but I'm sure the arcade jockeys working to get the highest score thought the stuff I was playing was kidna dumb; the only challenge was how far you could get! Now I'm not sure how the goals have changed...perhaps it's more based on tactics nowadays. When you're in the 3D realm the focus has to be based more on how you move, more so than ever. I dunno; all speculation! I could go on forever.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
User avatar
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 am
Location: The big 'ol Mitten

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby Alexx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 am

Um...hm. Screwed something up there. Where's the edit button?
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
User avatar
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 am
Location: The big 'ol Mitten

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby ThePaul » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:16 am

Bear hasn't been able to figure out how to get it to work with this layout, but if you go to 'User Control Panel -> Board Preferences' and change Board Style, you can find one that does have the edit button.
I am not a reasonable man.
User avatar
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 am
Location: Florida

Re: Introduction Stage

Postby Bear » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah, so many things to do, so little time. I fixed the post for you though, so no worries there. As ThePaul said, you can change your skin (I use Forum in Aggro), you can find the edit and quote buttons. I would only do it if its really necessary though because the skin is really ugly (I've grown to hate the old site layout).

Anyways, I'll probably work on it in a couple weeks once the shirts and hoodies are sent out; we just went through the last changes this morning with the printers to verify Pantone colors and they should be on the press in a couple days. I think they are burning the screens today! Very exciting~
User avatar
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120
 
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hi! I'm New Here!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron