[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - The Awesome Game Music Thread!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

The Awesome Game Music Thread!

Everything related to games~

Re: The Awesome Game Music Thread!

Postby Tehwilburforce » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 pm

DUUUUUDE!!!! I played a bit of the Recettear demo and thought it was awesome!!! Need to get it on le Steam sometime!!!!

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby RollCasket » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Speaking of shivers, to this day Pure Land still has that effect on me. It's simple yet so pretty at the same time. The Sorcerer I'm kinda up and down about honestly. While I have no problems with the song, esp 0:55-1:30, it somehow feels out of place in the overall OST...but maybe that's also what makes it stand out. Even the almost overly happy sounding I like a bit more cause it fits along with the rest of the music.

The SNES is still one of my fav consoles ever, obviously biggest reason for the RPGs, but there were plenty of other great games in every genre, so now I'm going to shotgun blast a slew of randoms =P Speaking of, you already linked Super Metroid - Brinstar, another game with amazing atmosphere. Joseph had some Megaman, but there needs to be some more of that too lol.

literally the first song that popped into my head when I thought of diff SNES songs
still one of my fav MMX tracks, the is also good.
I know this one is TheNesta's fav lol
the original! Now where is my new F-Zero Nintendo?!

Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby RollCasket » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:00 pm

lol, that was random Wilbur, but yes it's a pretty awesome game. Capitalism ho!
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Tehwilburforce » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:17 pm

lol. Thanks Roll. Anyway, I has a new song for posties!

Remember how I said I like sexy Spanish guitar music? I just found this from Paper Mario and I feel dumbzorz for not remembering it sooner since Paper Mario is kind of my second favorite game. XD

Enjoy. :)

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Alexx » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 am

"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby TheNesta » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 pm

I really like this thread, I keep coming back to it every week with new stuff to share, and of course it's always great to hear what other people like, and are sharing too. So, to celebrate the awesomeness of this thread I'm going to share even more music! Hooray! This time is a triple dose of Indie Game love, and a little something special on the side.

Skullgirls

Skullgirls is a new downloadable 2D fighting that that has been released on both XBLA and PSN. It's a wonderful little fighting game, with awesome mechanics, and an even better roster of all female characters that range from interesting to down right sexy. I'm totally in love with this super stylish game, and of course, as usual, the music is a treat. Composed by Michiru Yamane of Castlevania fame, with help from Revenge Labs, here's some of my favorites:

: As the name suggest, this is the character selection music. I always feel that the character select theme is important, as you hear it a lot. 'I wanna take you for a ride' Anyone?

: This is one of the stage themes. Can you hear the Castlevania influences? Also one of my favorite stages to fight on, as the background is decorated by fish people, including the adorable Minette.

: This is the final boss music, which includes parts of the game's main theme. It sounds pretty epic to me, and it's a good fight to boot.

: Finally, this is one of the game's character ending themes. This one's for Valentine, one of my favorite characters. It's so sad, but calming at the same time. It reminds me a bit of a song from Final Fantasy VII called The Nightmare's Beginning, which is a personal favorite from that game.

Lone Survivor

This is a neat little indie game I just found out about for PC. Lone Survivor feels very much like older Silent Hill games, right down to the music. The game itself is sprite based, and the music matches it quite well. But I think you'll hear some similarities to Silent Hill music all the same. I have to imagine the creator Jasper Byrne was channeling Akira Yamaoka when he composed these songs.

: The game's title theme is probably my favorite song on the soundtrack. It's really reminiscent of a Yamaoka opening to Silent Hill. It's the first thing I heard when I booted up the game, and I got pumped right off the bat.

: Again, this is another song that reminds me of something straight out of Silent Hill. It's kind of haunting, but pretty at the same time. Seeing as how the game is very intense usually, this must play during one of the brief moments of salvation.

: Another refrain from the madness. This is a beautiful piece that really shows the range of piano music. Of course, pianos are beautiful themselves, but this strikes me as eerie and mysterious.

: When you wake up at the beginning of the game you are... Home. Is it a safe place? Is any place safe in this crazy world? Who can say? But at least you get a brief calm before the storm with this surreal song.

Fez

I know you guys know what Fez is, so I'll just get to the point. It has a pretty amazing soundtrack, some very nice chiptune sounding work that Composer Disasterpeace clearly had a lot of passion for. The music matches the games whimsical setting, and provides a calming companion to you as you unravel the mysteries of Fez. Oh yeah, by the way, there's hidden messages in the music.

: Adventure is the first thing you hear in Fez, and it pretty much sets the tone for the whole game. Gomez is going on an adventure, and it's going to be one full of childish wonder, and whimsy.

: Gomez finds himself in a weird industrial complex as he searches about for cube bits. The song, as well as the environment full of mechanical platforms, and steam pipes gives off a very steampunk feel.

: This is perhaps my favorite song in the bunch I'm sharing with you guys today. It plays in a small section of the game that depicts a rainy night, at a small hotel. Complete with neon lines and an urban setting. I don't know what it is about this area, and this song, but it is easily my favorite part of the game. I wonder if this some sort of dream version of my hometown. All the beauty of a lit up Las Vegas strip, but with a rainy forecast, and peacefulness. Maybe I'm just thinking too much, eh?

: Again... the game begins and ends at Home. Gomez starts out here, before revealing the truth of the universe, and he returns here once he has completed his objective. It's a peaceful melody that really soothes the heart.

Homestuck

Forgive me for derailing things a bit here, but I wanted to share some music from a different medium for a moment. I realize this is for Game Music, and lord knows I've shared more of that than I probably should at this point. But I'd like to take a moment to share some of my favorite tracks from the webcomic Homestuck, which is somewhat of an obsession of mine. The only reason I'm putting this here, is because I feel that the music is very similar to something you would find in a game, and I think it meshes with the contents of this thread.

Before I get into that, a quick run-down. is massive webcomic that tells one continuous story, and has been over the course of three years. It's a combination of long text logs, accompanied by single panel images, animate gifs, and of course the infamously epic flash updates. As you might imagine, it's a pretty massive undertaking to get into, but once you do, you'll probably be hooked.

One of the things that is so special about Homestuck, is the massive amount of music that is composed for it. Obviously some of it is used in the flash updates, but a lot of it is just there to evoke emotions for you in regards to the characters you know and love (or hate) from the comic. I currently have 22 hours worth of Homestuck music on my iTunes playlist, and most of it is absolutely fantastic. There's a Homestuck sound team that does a lot of this stuff, but the community gets really involved with it too. But, I digress. The following are some of my favorite tracks from the various albums:

: Like many of the songs I'll be highlighting here, MeGaLoVania was used in a particularly awesome flash that depicted some pretty amazing stuff happening in the story. I just love it, because it rocks out so hard and really gets me pumped up.

: Crystamanthequins is probably my favorite song in all of that 22 hours of music, and for good reason. It's frickin' epic. Like MeGLoVania it also plays during an important flash, which is probably my second favorite flash in the whole comic. I've gotten chills, and misty eyed while listening to this song because it just gives me so many feelings.

: This one is a recent favorite of mine. Like the rest it plays during an awesome flash, etc. This one is really funky (like, real funk, not bad funky) and it's a pretty accurate representation of the character. As an added bonus, I feel like I can include a link to the flash so that you can get a taste of the comic in it's prime. You won't really know what's going on, like, at all, but it's pretty radical all the same. Yeah, I dunno. Hyperlinking doesn't work for that, so just click on the ugly link to see the flash. It's called Prince of Heart: Rise Up.

: This one is a classic, it's more or less the theme to Homestuck at this point, or at the very least the theme for one of the main characters John. It's been rearranged, remixed, and re-sampled so many times, most of them fantastic, but this is the original. It also have sort of a whimsical vibe to it and provides a brief refrain from all of the insanity.

: And finally, we have Cascade. Which is, fair warning, 13 minutes long. This song accompanied a monstrous flash of the same name and length which not only brought the MSPA site down, but Newgrounds, and several other sites as well. If you ever get into the comic, and you make it to Cascade... oh man, it's just so damn epic. As you can hear in the song, should you bother to listen to all 13 minutes of it, it's broken down into different segments which compliments what's going on in the flash. Even though this song is 13 minutes long, I've listened to it like 70 times, and it still hits me hard. I can't even point out my favorite part in the song. There are so many. Ahhh... it's just incredible.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Alexx » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Ah, never thought to post Homestuck music! I'll have to post my favorites when I have time. As for the ones you posted: ALL good! Doctor is a particular favorite, though it makes me a little sad for some reason. And hell, with MeGaLoVania....anything involving Vriska is GOOD.

Anyway, thanks for posting some Fez music! Since you've been talkin' about it (what with the comic) I've been curious to hear some of the music, and it's nice to have it narrowed down to someone's favorites.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby TheNesta » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Oh, awesome! Wasn't expecting anyone to be into Homestuck, but I'm certainly glad to be proven wrong on that count. Yes, Vriska is one of my favorite characters in the comic, even though so many people hate her.

There's so many favorite characters, and my friend and I have talked at great length about just about every facet of the comic, including many conversations about character rankings. I won't go into it too much, but I'm a big supporter of the entire Doc Scratch/Lord English/Handmaid posse. My blog is made up to look like a combination of Doc Scratch and Lord English, and the blog is called "Lord English's Opium Den" /omg

I'm such a nerd.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby TheNesta » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:26 am

A few other things that I wanted to address.

Recettear is indeed awesome. It's so awesome that when I first started playing it, and got really mad at it because I was sucking, I hulk-smashed by $3000 gaming laptop like a total tool*. It never worked quite properly after that. And yet, I still continued to play the game, and loved it. Since then I've bought everything Carpe Fulgur has brought out here, sadly none of it has been even close to as good.

Note *:Please don't think of me as some sort of raging asshole. I used to have a lot of problems with stuff like that, but I've mellowed out considerably as the years have gone by. It flares up every once in a while, but as a rule I hardly muster more than a whispered "fuck" when playing games.

On a lighter note, Lufia, yeah I guess I do have some stories about that, but I'm not entirely sure which one Roll is referring to, haha. I've talked with him for hundreds of hours about games, so forgive me if some of it gets misplaced.

I, like Alexx, started with Lufia 2, and, as it turns out, also have never played Lufia 1. So, at the time I was ignorant to the connections between 1 and 2, but I'll get back to that later. The game was pretty awesome, as it looked pretty cool, and had some great music, as has been discussed. But there were a few things about the game that I remember specifically.

Firstly, and this might actually be the story Roll was talking about, lol. My Grandma used to take me to Target/Wal-Mart/Toys R' Us to buy a game every month. Sometimes more than that. I won't lie, I was a spoiled child. Anyways, so she took me to Target one day and I bought Lufia 2. Alright, nothing that important so far, right? Well, when we got out to the car, I just had to rip open the game and browse through the manual as I was wont to do. So, I open it up and.... "Oh man, this is weird. The game is like a block of wood." Yes, that's right. Instead of a copy of Lufia 2, there was a block of wood in the box. It was baffling to say the least, but it didn't take long to figure out we'd been duped! So, we took it back inside, and I really wanted Lufia 2, but this was the last copy. So instead I got Super Empire Strikes Back. It was not a fair trade. Sure, SESB is a pretty game, with some awesome music, but it's also stupidily hard and not that much fun. So!

I think a few weeks later I got a copy of Lufia 2, so no biggie. Anyways... The things I remember about the actual game were such...

- As has been said, The Sinistrals are awesome villains. I don't know what it was about them. The fact that they were established as these over-powered Demi-Gods, or the fact that they were just so impressive looking. Amazing character design, and sprite work there. If there's one thing I miss from back in the day, it's seeing your little dudes up against this MASSIVE enemy that it feels like it's just impossible to compete with them. And, yeah, of course that music!

- The story, like, I don't remember a ton of it, but, it was kind of...mature for me at the time. Hm, how best to explain this. Long ago, before I was forever corrupted by the internet, as a child with a somewhat pure mind... I found the relationships between Maxim, Tia, and Selan to be interesting. At first it looks like Maxim and Tia are going to be "together", but then, something strange happens and Maxim falls in love with Selan. Thus leaving Tia heartbroken and alone. It was a little too complicated for me at the time. And then... then Maxim and Selan have a baby, and well, I said somewhat pure mind, so I knew what that meant at least. I dunno man! Complex adult relationships in a 16-Bit JRPG. Was pretty cool, but it kind of blew my mind.

- The puzzles are INSANE! Man, it doesn't get much more crazy than Lufia 2's puzzles. I would have killed for a Player's Guide for Lufia 2 back then. Probably complete with awful renditions of the main characters by some artist who was probably verbally told what the main characters vaguely look like, and then set to work on it. But, I digress. Anyways, man. I'd always be calling up 1-900-420-6100 to talk to a certified Nintendo Game Counselor* on how to solve these damn puzzles. I had notes, and graphs on graph paper, all kinds of shit. I can't even imagine what it would have been like if I played Phantasy Star 1 or 2 back then.

*Note: As a random aside, I once called up a NGC and started chatting with him about Final Fantasy VI. Like, I was sitting there flipping through Nintendo Power magazine looking at pictures and asking this poor underpaid teenager "So when do I fight THIS guy?". And, as I'm sure you are aware, these phone calls costed more than a dirty sex hotline back in the day. So, either out of the kindness of this man's heart, or his desperate want to get off the phone with a 9 year old kid, he told me that I should probably hang up the call before I racked up an even bigger phone bill.

That's about it for Lufia 2. But, one last thing. Like I said, I never realized back in the day that Lufia 2 was a prequel to Lufia 1. So, when Roll was living with me, he busted it out sometime and was like "Yeah, no, totally Lufia 2 takes place before Lufia 1" and I was probably like "Holy shit, Really?" and then he booted up Lufia 1 and showed me the Prologe in that game where Maxim and crew fight the Sinistrals, and I was like and then when the game started proper and it was Maxim and Selan's kid I was like

I hope you all enjoy that post as much as I did writing it.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby RollCasket » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:48 am

That's pretty much how it happened lol. I had a lot of fun showing him random games and such, like the create-a-character mode in the Japanese version of Project Justice (Rival Schools 2 on Dreamcast) and other random older games.
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Paradise