[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - The Awesome Game Music Thread!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

The Awesome Game Music Thread!

Everything related to games~

Re: The Awesome Game Music Thread!

Postby Adol The Red » Fri May 11, 2012 8:44 am

Those race side missions tended to be frustrating for me, but that song was one of my favorites from the game.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Bear » Sat May 12, 2012 3:11 pm

I can't believe...how is it that this thread has been missing Actraiser?! That is some serious oversight.

Since I've been in a heavy Suikoden mood, here is this great song from Suikogaiden.

And because Celtic music is awesome, here are a couple of good tracks. Some music for you. needs more owl.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby TheNesta » Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi again, I've still been staying busy until Diablo 3 (an hour and a half to go!) so here's the fruits of my labor.

Firstly, much like the Toy article I've been doing on my blog, I just finished the second installment of another creative writing process I started a few months ago. This time, related to video game music. Basically I take a closer look at some of my favorite video game soundtracks, so far two that I was extremely familiar with, and break down the Top 5 Best/Worst songs on the soundtrack.

The first installment was for Yasunori Mitsuda's Chrono Cross soundtrack, and you can find both posts here:

And, just now I finished the second installment, which is for another Mitsuda classic, Chrono Trigger. Yeah, sorry, they both just have incredible soundtracks. You can find both of those here:

I'll provide a bit of commentary on them here. For the Chrono Cross one, I was playing through it at the time and remembering all the incredible music in it, but I think what really pushed me over the edge to write an article was some of the horrendous music in the game. As you can see, I get pretty fired up about some of them. While at the same time, when I wrote the Best ones, I kind of opened up a bit, because, damn... just some beautiful music.

For Chrono Trigger it was a bit different. I played Chrono Trigger again recently too (it's sort of a yearly tradition) and, well, I didn't really need to play it to know about the music, because I know the entire soundtrack by heart. Thing with Trigger is, there's not really that many songs I find to be bad, so it's kind of hard to say "Worst" songs, but, whatever.

Anyways, hope you guys like the lists. I will apologize again for linking to my blog so much. You know I love writing here just as much as anywhere else, but it's a lot easier to do that kind of stuff on my blog.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Alexx » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 am

OOOOOH Nesta you took on a monster! Hard to find bad songs in either of those. But hey, this is a forum so I gotta comment!

Chrono Cross: I can't completely disagree with your worst set, but MAN I disagree with Zelbess! I friggin' LOVE that song! Thing is, I bought the soundtrack for Chrono Cross before the game, so many of the songs stood out before I knew where they were from. Interesting tidbit: Back in high school I was watching some video about Greek culture and the Zelbess song was in it, so I believe that is a classic Greek song of some sort. Might be why it feels out of place.

As for the good songs: I think I might have picked the same ones, though I'd switch around the boss and battle music. I always thought the boss song was kinda boring and the battle music was a bit better. Otherwise: all masterpeices. Especially Time's Scar (which a friend friggin' ripped from an early trailer for me, so that was the first song I had from the game). Time's Scar would be on my list of Ultimate Adventure songs (and songs that sound way more exciting and important that life could ever hope to be). Also the #1 choice (Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World) was my absolute favorite when I first got the soundtrack all those years ago. Brought a tear to my eye (though violins kinda do that for me). Funny thing is that song had a skip in it that my brain still puts there, even though burning the track to my itunes has somehow fixed the skip.

Chrono Trigger: Ha! I can tell you were trying your best with the worst pics. I pretty much had a feeling about which ones you'd pick for most of them, because they are similar ones that I tend to skip when I'm listening to the ipod. Still, I find myself enjoying Primitive Mountain 'cause it's just got that BEAT. The others are on similar grounds of "not bad, but not ones I usually listen to." I mean, the music box theme I DO like, but it's still one I skip more often than others.

As for the likes: Well, what can I say? All good choices, though I'd replace "World" with Magus's battle theme. Can't get enough of that, and honestly the final battle song is probably one of my least favorites when it comes to final battle music. Certainly epic, but doesn't really put a fire in me. As for TOP favorite, the opening theme, the Undersea Palace, and Zeal are all big time favorites. Zeal especially, which always reminds me of when I first got there wondering what the hell was going on. That moment when you first get to Zeal is what makes me wish I could erase my memory of the game and play it all over again.

Anyway, thank you for your lists! Very interesting!
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby chrisb » Tue May 15, 2012 12:01 pm

I might have to disagree with you on some the Chrono Cross ones, but you were dead on with the worst Chrono Trigger songs. I hate the prehistoric era with a passion. I never even used Ayla in my party :/

Fez - Compass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5szNZehps
Sonic Heroes - Frog Forest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu9GuUc163Q
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Kerreth » Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 pm

So someone went ahead and reminded me of Perfect Dark.

Kerreth
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby th3squirr3l » Wed May 16, 2012 1:48 pm

^Best one from that game IMO is Maian Tears. It's so chill :)

I have that entire soundtrack on my ipod (or, I did until it broke/got lost /swt2 ). One of the most awesome soundtracks everrrr. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ZgFMuWBbM
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby Bear » Thu May 17, 2012 2:13 pm

I never got into LBP, but this song deserves some recognition.

Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Bear » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:05 pm

I've been in a Romancing Saga music mood lately. Here are two of my faves that are the most addicting for me to listen to.

Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Bear » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:21 pm

The fact that this thread isn't more active makes me a sad panda. So, here are some recent gems from Sword & Sworcery EP

The first track in the set, its the song you hear as you start your journey and it is amazing. I love this song SO much.

Heading into the world, you get greeted with this great track.

The set has some nice mellow tracks, and I like this one quite a bit.

Another mellow song with a lot of heart.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Paradise