[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Diablo 3, the thread
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Diablo 3, the thread

Everything related to games~

Re: Diablo 3, the thread

Postby RollCasket » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 am

It's Open Beta weekend for those that can't wait to try it out.

I've managed to go through the whole beta (which is lvl 13 max, though you beat Skeleton King at about 8-9) with all the classes and I'm having a lot of fun with it. If I had to list my favorites for the beginning content at least:

Barbarian
Witch Doctor
Monk
Wizard
Demon Hunter

To be honest though there's a big gap between Monk and Wizard as both Wiz and DH start off incredibly weak...even buffing them up with equip I found from my Barb it only made them...playable. I'm sure that every class by some point is fully capable of destroying the minions of hell just fine, but those two sure do start off slow...I wouldn't recommend either for solo =P Monk I actually liked way more than I thought I would and really all three of those top classes are very close on the fun scale and fully solo-capable right out of the gate.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby TheNesta » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 am

I wrote some stuff about the Diablo 3 beta on my blog, so I'll copy it and paste it here (with some slight alterations) for your convenience.

Over the weekend, I, like many people got a chance to check out the Diablo 3 beta. It’s the first time I’ve had any hands-on time with the game, and I came away from it pretty impressed. I’d like to take a few minutes to discuss a few things I thought were cool, and then follow that up with a quick and dirty analysis of the character classes.

The little things

12 years, and many games later, Diablo is finally making it’s return. Hard to believe it’s been so long, but next month we’ll finally get to play Diablo 3. With that in mind, what are some of the neat little additions Blizzard has made to the game? For starters, and perhaps the most important thing to me is that you no longer have to hold down the “Alt” key to see where loot is. This might not sound like much, but it’s a pretty big deal. Related to that, the fact that you can just run over gold to collect it is nice too.

As far as the UI goes, it’s a nice blend of Diablo 2, and World of Wacraft. Quest givers are marked with a gold “!” mark, the map shows you where to go for quests, it’s easy to compare loot, and the skill system looks nice and tidy. Again, small things, and nothing particularly revolutionary either, but they are all welcome.

As for crafting, it seems interesting. But, I’m not entirely sure that this is even the system that’s going to be in the final game, so I guess I won’t say much about it. It goes well with mixing and match loot that you find, with stuff that you craft, but it felt a bit off for some reason. I’m not sure.

Finally, the game looks good, and runs well on low end machines. Kind of a staple for Blizzard games at this point. Another tiny thing is the nice visual effect on elemental items. For instance, a fire sword will have a neat fire graphic swirling around the item description. I thought it was cool at least.

The Classes

Since the open beta only lasted for three days, I only had time to get most of the characters to level 8. My Wizard got to 10, and my Demon Hunter was only level 5. So keep all of that in mind.

Barbarian

Currently, The Barbarian is far and away the best class in the game. Right from the get go he’s plowing through stuff like a truck, and can take a beating. Also, right off the bat you’re getting some amazing skills that help you lay waste to everything. From my experience with the Beta, it seems like AoE was the way to go, and with skills like Cleave, Hammer of the Ancients, and Rend you’ve got that covered. I was basically facerolling my way through the beta with the Barb, as he’d just run up to large groups of enemies and annihilate them. Depending on how he shapes up in the full game, The Barbarian might very well be the easiest class to play, and one you might want to consider for those harder difficulties.

Wizard

The Wizard is a personal favorite of mine, despite the fact that I’ve seen a few people who are disappointed in her. Perhaps she relies heavily on the equipment she has, but since I was granted with an early boost from my friend I was really dominating with her. Again, AoE playing a big part here, her Arcane Orb ability was wrecking stuff. It almost rivaled the stopping power of the Barbarian, and I could do it from range. On top of that she has good defensive abilities in Diamond Skin and Wave of Force which was allowing me to control the battlefield. Magic Missile isn’t too shabby either after it’s first rune. Of course, it’s very possible your milage may vary with the class, I found that it lived up to my expectations.

Monk

The Monk was interesting, because when I first played her, my opinion of her was pretty low. When I tried playing her again, I gave her some better equipment and I was surprised to see she was tearing it up. The Monk is similar to The Barbarian, in that she is also a melee fighter with stupidly powerful moves, and some good AoE abilities. The only problem I could find was the she’s kind of paper thin in terms of defense. If you’re not careful, you can get easily overwhelmed by damage the Barb would easily shrug off. Luckily, she gets a healing ability in Breath of Heaven early on, so I bet this weighs out a bit better. The Monk definitely has some cool abilities, like a runed Fist of Thunder which allows her to teleport around the battlefield. And like I said, the heal is something unique to this class, so that probably adds an interesting spin on this classes’ strategies.

Witch Doctor

Man, I’m so ready to love the Witch Doctor, and declare it one of my favorite classes, but I hit a big snag with it. Firstly, I’ll say that the WD is probably the coolest class in the game. The moves he gets are just so awesome. Aside from Poison Dart, which you start out with, he starts getting some amazing stuff real quick. First up is Grasp of The Dead, which is an AoE snare that played heavily into my initial strategy. Following that, you get one of the coolest abilities ever, Corpse Spiders, which allows the WD to throw a fricking bottle of man eating spiders at enemies! It’s so badass. So for a while there I was just throwing down GoTD and the spiders and totally destroying everything. Shortly after that you get Summon Zombie Dogs which provides a useful pet, or rather, three of them. And after that you get the equally awesome Flaming Bats, which allows the WD to shoot flaming fricking bats out of his hands! Sadly, the bats seem to take up way too much mana, at least at the point where I was.

So, what’s the problem then? Well, shortly after saving Deckard Cain, I found that my initial winning strategy of Goop&Spiders wasn’t working very well, at all. Thus, I found myself struggling to kill stuff. Eventually I was forced to replace those amazing spiders with the rather dull, single target Poison Dart ability, and even then it still kind of sucked. So, I don’t know. I’m hoping that with better gear, and runes, abilities like the spiders and bats become better. And also hope the WD continues to get more sweet abilities as he progresses. As it stands those, I felt a little disappointed when all was said and done.

Demon Hunter

Now, as I mentioned above, I have very little experience with the Demon Hunter, and the main reason for that is… they’re fricking terrible. Right off the bat, the DH was doing way less damage than any of the other classes. And all of the abilities I got in those five levels were awful. The most powerful one, which is Impale, consumes a lot of Hatred, and it’s only a single target, single hit ability. And even then it still doesn’t do that much damage. Above I mentioned the part where you rescue Deckard Cain, well that part which proved disappointing for my Witch Doctor, proved impossible for my DH. She was overwhelmed by mobs of the weakest enemies. I had to constantly use Caltrops and Entangling Shot to keep them at bay, all the while running around and doing no damage. After spending 15 minutes trying to get to the next part of the beta, which is easily 3 times as long as it took on any other character (6 times as long as the Barb) I gave up.

The one thing DH have going for them is that they’re probably the coolest looking class in the game, but if Blizzard doesn’t seriously buff them before release, I can’t even imagine playing through the whole game as this pitiful class.

In Closing

Well, there’s my thoughts on the Beta. Again, your mileage may vary on whether you agree with me or not. Also, none of this may be relevant by the time the actual game comes out, so who knows. But, there you go!
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Bear » Wed May 16, 2012 1:50 am

Well well well. What do we have here? I have to say, this game series has completely fallen off my radar. I don't even remember the last time I played D1; it has been ages. I think I missed D2 because I was busy and possibly short on cash; either way I never played it.

The thing is, my memory is pretty terrible. Like, very sadly so. I have an excellent memory when it comes to visual stuff I see with my own eyes (even dreams); I can draw up a floor layout for the house I lived in until I was 3, but ask me about the stories and characters of most major games I played, and I can only give very general details. Pie, on the other hand, has an incredible memory for these things...like, it's scary that she can vividly remember skills, characters and gameplay elements from games she hasn't touched in over a decade.

So when I think about D1, I remember the gist of things - I remember loving the and I can tell you I liked the game, but I can't tell you why. This is usually the case for any game that I've only played through once.

I very briefly tried out the Path of Exile demo this last weekend on Maglor's recommendation. It was the first time in ages I had picked up a Diablo-style game since D1 was still fresh. I can't say I gave it enough of a shot, but I can say that I was turned off by how stiff it felt. I mentioned it to Maglor, asking if that's how the genre plays, and he confirmed it was typical. I don't remember how fluid D1 was, but picking up PoE I didn't feel compelled to continue, despite the awesome skill forest it has. The hold-down-alt-to-see-things thing was pretty annoying too, which I guess from Nesta's comment means it was also a terrible relic of the past. Sadly, not being slick and responsive in fluidity in any game with action in it is pretty much a deal-breaker for me, so I'm unlikely to go back.

So anyways, on a whim from seeing a news article that paid D3 players got guest passes into the game, I asked Pie to ask her brother for a guest pass. I figured, well, PoE was a small indie studio doing its best. They haven't had a chance to get as refined as Blizz has; so I want to see what Blizz can do. As soon as I got into it, the feeling came rushing back. Ahh. Diablo. An old lover that only existed on the edges of my memories. It has been a long time since our last randezvous. Shall we dance yet again?

Yeah. D3 has tight controls and is exactly what I expect from how it should play. The subtle music and the talk of Tristram really started to remind me how much time I sunk into D1 and how much I enjoyed it. I didn't have to play long into it to know I want a copy (or two, so Pie and I can play together). In fact, I'm debating whether or not I should play much into the demo, because I fear getting addicted on it without being able to grab a copy immediately. Oh well...one of these days I'll have to pick it up; just wish I could get a sale on it, but I don't think Blizzard will drop the price before Christmas.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Wed May 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Haha nice, more people to play with! Funny that you somehow skipped passed D2. Obviously there's no need to go back to it now with 3 out, but I can't tell you how many hours I sunk into that game total.

Which class did you play first/like best? I REALLY like the feel of barbarian in this game. Every class gets cool stuff though, some just start out slower than others. If/when you guys get it add my battletag: Superporing#1671 course that goes for anyone playin, feel free to add me.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Wed May 16, 2012 1:53 pm

The only class I've tried so far is the one I started with, a Monk. I wanted something that would be agile and melee range, so that seemed to fit the bill well. Like I said, I didn't get too far in the game (one hour? lol), but I had a lot of fun for what I played. I don't need to play that much into it to know I'll enjoy it. Not too sure if I'll play too much into the demo since it sucks being stuck at a cap, but we'll see.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Ninja_moofin » Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 am

Hey Bear, and you too Roll! I got the game and I have to say it is fantastic! I'm playing the Demon Hunter I liked the way they looked so I gave them a try. if anyone wants my battle tag it is SquirrelGod#1362.

I also feel like the controls are very tight, story isn't to bad either I like that you can change up your skill build on the fly to adjust for certain fights or areas. that has made it extremely fun.
Ninja_moofin
Swordman LV 52/40
Swordman  LV 52/40

Postby Soeroah » Fri May 18, 2012 12:03 am

I just had the ending to D3 spoiled for me on the WoW forums minutes before the thread was deleted.

God ****ing damn it, I'm sick of spoilers, especially in unrelated places.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby Farore » Fri May 18, 2012 12:54 am

I haven't really read any of the posts in this thread, but Jerry told me he taught Milo a little bit about it. Apparently standing in stuff is bad. =]

Sorry about the ending being spoiled Soeroah. That's always awful.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby TheNesta » Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 am

Well I guess this game is okay. If you like Diablos.

I like Diablos.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Previous

Return to Gamer's Paradise