[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Olde time vidja games
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Olde time vidja games

Everything related to games~

Olde time vidja games

Postby RollCasket » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 am

I dunno who else does this, but every now and then I go back to play older games. I'm not talking backlog games that I SHOULD go back to finish, but games that I'll always love and have beaten several times over. Maybe I'm just weird? I dunno, but every now and then I just feel like playing specific games, though I don't always play all the way through.

Games I most often go back to? Chrono Trigger is pretty much a once a year game, but others like Final Fantasy Tactics, Megaman X series, and Final Fantasy of a random number though usually 4. Currently going through FFT and FF3 and Megaman X Command Mission (which I hadn't beaten originally) though there are a few others I'm feeling the itch to play again.

Anyone else do this? If so which ones do you go back to?
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Re: Olde time vidja games

Postby Bear » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:07 pm

I will pop in older games from time to time, but usually only for short periods of time. There are so many newer games that I've not even touched that usually get my attention first, so I rarely don't have time to play stuff I've already beaten, no matter how good it is. When I was working in tech I was able to amass a decent collection of games that never got played for more than 15 minutes, so I have a LOT of catching up to do... if only I could find the time to play them T-T

Though, I have played quite a bit into games that Pie never got to play so that I could show them to her. For some reason, she missed Super Castlevania 4 which I got to play almost all the way through for her and more recently I was showing her Blaster Master. Just the other night we were chatting about Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and maybe I'll show that to her too. She's shown me a few too, such as Bangai-O, Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure and Graffiti Kingdom among others.

It's nice because we have a solid foundation of games that we both played and a good number of titles only one of us has played. I guess I tend to have more experience with western and computer games and she had more experience with imports and rare titles.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I have quite a backlog of games I need to finish...but that still doesn't stop me from going back and playing older games. In fact, we have 2 tvs and the one big one has the newer systems and the other has older systems. The older ones get swapped out every now and then also, like I just put the Dreamcast in and put the Saturn away, but I also have a Super Nintendo, Sega CDX with a 32X stuck on it (which looks funny if you've seen how small a CDX is), and then oddly enough a 360 (mine, and roommate's is on the big tv).

In any case...it helps that there are remakes and such, it gives a way to replay older ones I liked while still being somewhat new-ish. Like I literally can't tell you have many times I've played each version of Chrono Trigger (ugh...ps1 load times...) so yeah, if they made a new version with , it'd just give me an excuse to play it again =P I think I'm exactly the person remakes were made for lol.

But oooooh man...Graffiti Kingdom, that game was cool, and just seeing all the crazy stuff people made in it was even more awesome =P I also liked the Legacy of Kain series, though I like the Soul Reaver ones with Raziel best. It's cool that you and Pie were able to clash your game experiences together, cause that's always fun. Seeing someone else experience it for the first time and being able to talk with them about it.
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Tehwilburforce » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:50 pm

Since the newest console I have is a Wii, there aren't many new games that I see as worth buying. I missed a lot in my childhood and now classic games are kind of a godsend for me. I have even gone so far as to use Google to map out where the good stores are for finding such games. I've also amassed a huge collection of games that I've barely even gotten through yet, so that's why I want to Let's Play them. It'd keep me from my habit of just going through the first couple hours of a game before letting it sit on a shelf for months.

@Bear: I've heard awesome things about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's only on Dreamcast, right?

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Kerreth » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm not that much of a "replayer." Usually, when I've finished a game once, I've finished it, and this even goes for games like Mass Effect where you can get different story outcomes. I've tried playing through that again to play Renegade but I never got around to finishing it.

I do hate having a backlog of unfinished games though, and I try to clear them out. For example, Persona 4, I played pretty diligently from when it came out to a few months later, and then I reached *that* scene at the hospital, and I wasn't clicking the right dialogues to go past it (and I didn't want to look it up). And it's a long scene too, so I kinda just left it on the backburner and started playing other things. Fast forward about TWO YEARS or so to just this past summer/fall, and I went ahead and finished it all the way to the True Ending (and the fact that the game handles multiple endings so terribly is probably the only gripe I had about it). Woot.

The sucky part about playing something after you haven't been playing it for a while is that you tend to forget a lot of things. Like being able to reverse during Endoscopy in Trauma Team or having Static Thrusters in Infamous, both of which I've headdesked about forgetting.
Kerreth
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby RollCasket » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:57 pm

@Tehwilburforce: Pretty sure JoJo is also avail on PS1 as well, prolly easier to get that one...well...actually if you have a Dreamcast and a boot disk it's prolly even EASIER to download and burn it for DC =P

@Kerreth: That makes me kinda sad =( Though I can see wanting to finish the games you have already, esp since I have many I still need to finish, but I dunno, there are certain ones that to me stand the test of time and I can still have lots of fun with.

To that point, I'm playing Chrono Trigger for the 17946th time...on iphone, lol. Yeah, for whatever reason I got this game for the...uhh let's see...5th time? It's got the additions of the DS remake except for some reason the anime cutscenes that are in the PS1 and DS version are not there. Oh, also, the controls are terrible, lol, but I'm getting used to it and hope that they'll patch in some other control method =P To it's credit though they opted for lossless audio and with headphones it sounds oh so good.

Randomly, I stuck Dead Space (first one) in since I hadn't finished it and with that awesome lil line of light you can generate it's easy to pick up and play right when you left off. Also, a few minutes in I remembered it was a scary game =P
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Thrishmal » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:08 am

The one that I go back to from time to time is Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. I am convinced it is one of the best games ever made, but that may be because it was pretty much my first foray into RPGs. You can design a character in that game to be pretty much whatever you want, an aspect of gaming that I really miss from the past.
Thrishmal
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby RollCasket » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 am

There are a lot of games where you create your own characters, some more involved than others. Like the aforementioned Graffiti Kingdom you are only limited by how well you can make whatever it is you want to make lol (someone totally made Roll from Megaman). 3D Dot Game Heroes or whatever it was for PS3 you can also make whatever but you're more limited to 3D block styled sprites.

There are tons more but that's just off the top of my head right now. Can't say I ever played Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny so I can't speak much on that one. Oddly enough, even though I grew up kinda when gaming was really getting started, the first rpg that got me into the genre was...well...kinda Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy VI. I had seen IV being played at a friend's house and thought it looked cool, then later saw my cousins playing VI and asked to borrow it, thinking it was the same one (didn't pay attention to the names of the games), liked it, and played every rpg I could get my hands on. Of course pretty quickly finding out it was IV I had originally seen, that one became my favorite.

While the "true rpgers" like to knock FFVII, I still enjoyed it and have some fond memories when it was coming, and came out. I got super hyped up with the commercials, which was really cool to see video game commercials in general already. Sadly though, I didn't have a PS1...so when it came out, I rented a PS1 and FFVII, got home, started playing till I passed out, controller in hand, then woke up and kept playing, lol.
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:33 am

I don't replay very often. I always look forward to playing new and exciting games. I sometimes replay my very favorite PS2 stuff like Ace Combat 5 or Sly Cooper. Once in a while, I'll pop in Paper Mario and give that a go. Is it sad that I love that game to death, but have never beaten it? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't care. Paper Mario is the nuts and it always will be. /no1

I really wish I could replay both of the main series Kingdom Hearts, but I don't actually own them. I borrowed both of them and then had to give them back to friends who I don't think play them that often anyway. That made it kinda depressing to return them. :(

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Return to Gamer's Paradise