[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Sonic Generations
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Sonic Generations

Everything related to games~

Sonic Generations

Postby RollCasket » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:56 pm

I thought I made a "starter" thread on this but I guess that just shows how busy I've been lately, not that I have a ton of time now either, but I figured I should talk about Sonic Generations a lil since it's amazingly really good, and not just for a Sonic game, just good in general.

The basic story is Sonic Adventure and beyond styled "Modern Sonic" gets pulled through time to meet up with "Classic Sonic" and...well that's pretty much it. There's very little story or anything, just enough to hold it together basically, which is great and how how it should be. Though there are a few lil jokes here and there with newer characters meeting old Sonic and such.

The Good: Playing as both classic (2D) and modern Sonic (3D with some 2D also) through each stage. Even though you're playing through the same stage twice, it's obviously very different in play style and design. Though I thought I'd like the classic stages more, I think I enjoyed the modern style ones more, even though I like Sonic 1-3/Knuckles more than Adventure 1 and 2.

The Bad: Chellenge stages...these are unlocked after playing through the stages in an area before you go to do the boss battle. You're required to do at least 4 of them (3 to get keys to unlock the boss door and 1 for the chaos emerald of that area) but there are a ton of these damn things. Some are quicker/easier than others, some are annoying and unwelcome. Overall, they're really not all THAT bad...but in an otherwise great game these take away from all the other good stuff in the game. Not to mention, the time needed to make all these could've been spent making more of those well designed stages or more boss fights =P

The Awesome: I'll preface this by saying the last boss fight is super dumb and annoying. It's one of those modern Sonic stye gimmicks where you got the chaos emeralds just for this fight, oh well. This annoyance was taken away though by one of the best credit rolls ever as it showed each of the stages from their respective games with their original music, then the music transitions into the new remixes, super awesome. Then to top it all off, afterwards I'm informed that Super Sonic has been unlocked and you can then go back into each stage as EITHER Sonic and transform into Super Sonic once you hit 50+ rings and blow through stuff, crazy awesome. As a note, classic Super Sonic loses rings at normal speed while modern blows through them like crazy o.O To maybe offset this slightly, modern Super Sonic flies a bit off the ground and and easily go over tons of obstacles easily.

I'd say the game is easily worth it as I found myself playing through many stages many multiple times. The game gets more fun as you get better at it too as you rush through seeing shortcuts and alternate paths along the way urging you to try again till you find that perfect path to beat your best records. I just hope they add in some extra stages as DLC or somethin at some point, I want more =P
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Re: Sonic Generations

Postby Pie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks a lot for posting this review Roll! =D I think I mentioned in one of my posts my initial feelings after hearing the unveiling of the game and how they've changed over time after seeing more in-game content. It looks promising and sounds rather good from multiple sources. =D It's great to hear that a new sonic game finally turned out rather good! I've actually been rather interested in it though I'm not a very hardcore sonic fan. I'd still like to play Sonic Colors too. =)
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby RollCasket » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:05 pm

So, after a surprise xmas present, I've gotten to play the 3DS version now also and am kinda torn on which one I like more. I'll just list off some of the differences.

First major difference, although 3DS has the same classic and modern Sonic, the modern stages are more like 2 1/2D than the normal 3D they're played in, which is a lil stage considering the 3DS can handle it just fine. Still, I don't terribly mind it as it still plays well. Most stages are the same, but there are a few different stages to the 3DS like Mushroom Hill and Radical Highway (one of my favs) and a few different bosses also like omfg Big Arm from the end of Sonic 3 which was super awesome to play and hear again. Also, if anything, the 3DS version seems a bit harder too, esp for getting good times on stages or those damn mission modes (which you can use play coins to get more).

I think there's 2 things though that make me hesitate in saying I like the 3DS version more. One is no Super Sonic after beating it (unless I need to do more missions or something?) and the other is I fell a TON in the 3DS one. It just seems like it throws you into stuff too quickly to react to it if you don't already know it's there >.> It's not really that much of a problem cause you can keep continuing and whatnot, but it was a bit annoying at parts =P
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby RollCasket » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Bringing this back slightly cause I'm bored, but also to link the 3DS Big Arm boss music (music only) and the console credit roll video. I really like this rendition of Big Arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmmDXfgT ... ata_player

Credit roll
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT3z110f ... ata_player
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby RollCasket » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Wait one more, cause this is like the coolest boss on the console version, Egg Dragoon, this guy beats it pretty quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0lqHMi ... ata_player

Ok that's enough of that for now =P
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Return to Gamer's Paradise