[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Game boxes vs download games
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Game boxes vs download games

Everything related to games~

Game boxes vs download games

Postby RollCasket » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Obviously, there are multiple factors involved here, but I'm talking primarily about the choice between the two. Some games only came as dl titles, some started in box then later dlable, then some older games which are only playable by dragging out the old system and game. Almost a side topic, but PS Vita is dl games only, so how do you feel about that? I'm curious about the topic as most grizzlied old folk like me usually prefer having the box.

Personally, I have tons of dl games, but in a heartbeat I'd pay extra for a box and maybe even more for instruction manual I'll never read...at least, for most games anyway. I also have quite a collection of older games too so I dunno if that factors in. I think Bear mighta said something similar about dl games having a special release with box once they've gotten big. On that note, what about special editions? As we move towards more dl only games our sweet sweet special editions will be gone.

So do you mind this turn towards mainly dl only or would you rather pay more to have the box and such?
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Re: Game boxes vs download games

Postby Bear » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:52 am

Hmm, I thought the Vita was only getting rid of , not the actual physical cartridges.

As far as this discussion goes, as a collector I would always prefer the physical copy. That goes the same for anything though. If I watch a TV series that I really enjoy, I will want to own the DVDs / Blu-Rays even if I could get them cheaply as digital downloads.

I don't really mind things being digital as long as the price is reflective of that. It might just be better that regular/standard editions never see the light of day as a physical copy. Have a suitably priced, download-only version, then have collectors editions with swag be the only physical version offered.

I know Supergiant Games is doing for Bastion, though they exclude a physical copy of the game. If they are concerned about pirating, they should just have a code that is redeemable with Steam, XBLA, or PSN and have the installer put the necessary files in the right spot on whatever system it is to save the user from having to download the game.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:50 am

Ah, that's good news then, for some reason I couldn't find any concrete answer on dl only for vita...though, searching stuff on the phone is a bit annoying. At the very least I know it doesn't play umds any there was some word about maybe being able to turn them into digital copies or something but I dunno if that was confirmed or not...

ANYway...as said I definitely rather having the boxes for games, movies too, though I don't care as much about music CDs, I don't mind buying physical or digital. My worry about everything eventually being digital, besides the fact that I prefer having the boxes, I think the price will end up being the same cause there are no other alternatives. As it is pricing is already all over the place especially as there are so many different vendors/places to get games and a slew of varying deals between them. Maybe that's straying a bit off topic though.

What I want though...is Castle Crashers and Super Meat Boy game boxes. If they don't want to have game piracy either do the dl code and/or just have the soundtrack in there...maybe an art book too while we're at it, lol. Cool that they're doin Bastion though, that one was pretty good.
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Soeroah » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Vita annoys me. They are moving toward game cards and virtual downloads, so it's not backwards compatible with the PSP games I have. And I can't get those games for free from the PSN, I'd have to buy them on the Vita. And some of the games aren't even ON the PSN.

Raage, Vita!

Why must Nintendo be the only company who embraces backwards compatibility?
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby Bear » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:24 am

Well, for portable systems, yes. I thought it was really revolutionary when the PS2 allowed you to play PS1 games; that was crazily awesome and to the best of my memory the first console that allowed for it.

I'm still kind of upset that they killed off the PS3 backwards compatibility though. It forced me to buy one of the first generation models because I knew they were in the process of getting rid of the emotion engine hardware in favor of software emulation. I was really surprised when they took it out completely. So now I pray my PS3 never goes up in smoke haha.

I always felt that the UMD was a terrible move for Sony and I'm glad the format is dead now. Solid state flash cards are awesome, sad though that they are using Sony proprietary ones. I can't say I'm too surprised though because I bet they don't want to deal with supporting users who buy cheaply made flash cards that might have a higher failure rate...and of course the business drive is there for them too to make more cash.

At least this move now sets them up to have the PS Vita 2 or w/e re-use the PS Vita cards if they make it that far. It would be nice to have some sort of transfer though where you could transfer UMD movies and games to Vita flash cards so you aren't forced to give up your old library.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Well the one thing I have to say, is umds were never terribly portable, so it was kinda a losing battle to begin with. I do kinda like the long and slim cases they came in though. With DS (or 3DS) carts you can stuff those in your pocket if you wanted to...even though I wouldn't =P

My old roommate's 60gig PS3 just bricked oddly enough...they offered to either take it and give him a new 120 for $99 or fix that one for even more (he didn't say how much).

On the subject of PSP and PS3, I kinda like having multiple different size boxes cause the contrast looks good when all of them are together. Although...any boxes bigger than DVD size is a bit much...like Sega cd/Saturn or 3DO for that matter.
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:56 pm

These days, I'm starting to like Digital games more and more. With the situation I'm in, I could be moving around a bit over the next year, and I don't know if I'll be able to handle all these games I got stockpiled, let alone this stuff AND physical copies of everything I have downloaded.

Still, it is kind of a bother on consoles and handhelds, as I have about the bare minimum on Storage Space options. I should've sprang for the higher priced stuff, but I still wasn't trusting of Digital Downloads and Cloud Anything when I bought this stuff.

All that said, I have no reason to watch physical media to die and make room for Digital. Because digital doesn't take up physical space, cause... um... I think that's what it does... or something....

Also, I would include a big long rant here in defense of letting the UMD rest in peace and how Nintendo has totally abandoned game formats in the past, but my New Years resolution is to rant less, so... um.... /peace
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby RollCasket » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 pm

This is almost side note, but for a long time I was against trading in games and used games. I'm still picky about used though and it either has to be like new or really rare for me to get it used. Trading is also harder if I have the box and manual and such too, so it's an ever compounding problem of me wanting to keep my games and game stuff.

I can understand space issues though as I've just had to move and I have even less space before and I had to get rid of some things I didn't want to. Really though, digital has some similar problems as I have old hard drives and spindles full of CDs/DVDs only it's worse cause if you're looking for something specific it's a needle in a haystack. At least with things like Steam you can delete and redownload whenever but that's only for those games you have on there.
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Personally, I've always been a bit of a classic fan, classic cars, movies, games and basically things that are old and cool. I prefer to have the box because it's kind of like saying "I am definitely in possession of this game and it it MINE." That being said, I do have more dl games than physical.

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby ThePaul » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:51 pm

I've never been all that keen on classic, but I suppose that's because what I like only sometimes becomes classic. And even then, it's Cult Classic, which probably means the original copy isn't all that collectable or worth showing off.

On that note, I'm really good a picking up games that aren't worth keeping (or buying in the first place, for that matter), so I've had much deals with the Used games shadow market. I still don't trust online used purchases or flea markets, though. Been scrubbed too many times to trust them ever again. In fact, I got a tattoo of a Flea with a cross through it that says, "Never Again," underneath... I think... that might have actually been a dream through... I gotta' go check...
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Return to Gamer's Paradise