[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Soul Calibur V
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Soul Calibur V

Everything related to games~

Soul Calibur V

Postby ThePaul » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Been almost a week now since it came out here, and I've been playing it ever since. The game has it's plus and minuses, but over all I'm enjoying it (when I'm not cursing at people online).

Most depressing to me is the lack of Individual Character endings, as the game instead opts for a Mortal Kombat style story mode, which is mostly told through story boards with voice overs. There is also a major lack of single player modes and other such awesomeness that have been included in the series from the start.

Character creation is super baller though. Probably one of the best character creators in any video game, let alone a fighting game. And online works pretty nifty too with several different ways to set up fights. I'm a like too rage-y to play much more of it once I get the last online trophy, though.

Also, don't let the "Spider" bite you!
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Re: Soul Calibur V

Postby Kerreth » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Four words with a question mark:

Character. Creator. Stat. System?

Other than that, I played it for about 10 minutes at Best Buy the other day, and realized I completely forgot how to play. /sigh
Kerreth
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby RollCasket » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:01 pm

They thankfully took out that dumb stat system. My only real problem is with some of the balancing, but everything seems fine and cool so far.

I'm also pretty rusty though, I was super pro in 2 and played in tourneys and had tons of fun, and with each game that's come out I've gotten worse from not practicing and adapting to the changes lol. I'm pretty ok I guess, I just haven't decided yet who I really want to practice up with though.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:15 pm

And now, after playing it some more, I feel I shoul have posted it in the NSFW area, so I can truly express how much I hate the computer sometimes.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby RollCasket » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, at my current skill level I just can't beat those high difficulty ones and it's really frustrating cause I know what I'm doing wrong but I somehow keep making stupid mistakes >.> The worse part is against the high lvl ones you leave one dumb opening and they do a half life or higher combo instantly >.>

Once I get used to it I'll be able to guard impact more to get out of it better but it just seems too much like its reading exactly what I'm inputting.
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Yeah, it took me about 40 minutes to beat the boss off Asia Route on hard last night. That was with a character using Lizardman style though, and I haven't figured a cheep move to just spam against bots with him. I really like this character though, so I'm not abondoning her just because I can't spam bots good.

Now, to try to kill Legendary Souls for the only difficult trophy I have left.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Bear » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I haven't played SC seriously since 2 but my friend was big into 3. I remember 3 having an interesting looking single player mode and was curious if it was any good and if 5 has any such thing.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm

SC5 doesn't have a lot as far as single player is concerned, the story mode as Paul said is a set story where you play as a few characters along the way and that's about it. There is no "story" for each character. The only other things is Legendary Heroes mode which is made up of high leveled computer opponents and Offline mode where you can pick between a range of opponent difficulties and get new titles.

SC3 was my least fav of all of them...but that single player mode you're talking about was the best part of that game and quite fun.
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:10 pm

I loved the Single Player Champaign thingy in 3. I'm pretty sure 3's my favorite Soul Calibur. 4 would be my least favorite. Everyone's ending was kinda' boring and I friggin hate Challenge Towers. Also, I didn't like my stats being tied to what my CaS Character was wearing.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby RollCasket » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:05 pm

This isn't SCV related but it IS SC related. After I saw the opening to SCV which was disappointing...I remember how AMAZING the intro to 1 was. Sadly, it seems not everyone is aware of the goldmine that is Astaroth, because putting only Astaroth for every possible option gives one of the best openings ever. Though try as I might I didn't see that anyone else had done it on YouTube which makes me question humanity as a whole.

So now...I'm going to have to hookup my Dreamcast just to see it again =P
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Next

Return to Gamer's Paradise