[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Mass Effect 3
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Mass Effect 3

Everything related to games~

Mass Effect 3

Postby TheNesta » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:54 am

Mass Effect 3 (X-Box 360, PS3, PC)
Release Date: March 6 (NA), March 8 (AU), March 9 (EU), March 15 (JP)

Mass Effect 3 is the epic conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy from Bioware. This thrilling space opera follows the exploits of humanity's greatest hero, Commander Shepard, as they fight for the survival of the entire universe against the ancient genocidal race of aliens known as Reapers. This time the Reapers have targeted Earth, and it's up to Shepard to unite the forces of the universe against this common threat. Combining high octane shooting action, and Bioware's signature role playing game mechanics, Mass Effect 3 is looking to be one of this year's hottest titles. Finish the fight!

Sorry if all that was corny, marketing spiel. I just always wanted to make an OT for a game. Anyways, who all is checking this out? It's easily one of my most anticipated games, and I've been looking forward to wrapping up this story for a long time. Plus, I just really loved Mass Effect 2. Not only was I already on board with the story from the first game, as well as the characters (Oooh, Garrus <3) I thought the game was just amazing. I cemented this opinion when I did an Insanity run later that year, and it was honestly one of the most exhilarating gaming experience I've ever had. So, anyone?

P.S.: If anyone needs a save file for Mass Effect, is a great site.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Re: Mass Effect 3

Postby Bear » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm certainly curious. I'm not usually a fan of space type stuff, tending to stick more toward fantasy elements in games. I've completely missed this series though and if I get a chance to sit down with the trilogy, I might play through it to see what the buzz is all about.

My experience is that if there is a lot of buzz like there is surrounding this series, chances are it is well founded and I will enjoy myself.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Soeroah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:06 pm

I was excited for it, but this whole story-significant-day-one-$10-DLC thing is making me want to boycott the game.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby Bear » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:43 pm

Wow seriously? Do you have a link to that Soeroah?
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby th3squirr3l » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Go have a look at Total Biscuit's youtube page. He has a ridiculously long rant about it.

I agree with most of what is said. If it's material important to the game, with actual content that plays a role in the plot, it should be released as part of the game... They're just trying to cheat people out of their money.
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby Bear » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Wow, that sounds pretty damn underhanded. I'll take a look at it later, thanks Squirrel.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Tehwilburforce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:28 pm

I'm not planning on getting a 360 anytime soon (it is Xbox exclusive, right?), but I did enjoy playing through the second game some. It was so awesome!!! Bioware is just one company that always manages to elude me because whenever they make an awesome game, it's on a system that I don't own. When they make a game on a system I own, it's usually just meh (*cough* Sonic Chronicles *cough*).

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby ThePaul » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:49 pm

It's on the PC and PS3 as well.

As far as the story-significant-day-one-DLC goes, I don't really know much. I mean, I know most Day one DLC exists because people don't want to get laid off during the down time between game completion and actual approval and release. And I know EA said that's why this one exists. But I'm not really a ME player, so I don't have an opinion of whether it is OK for them to ask money for something like this (because if it's as important as you guys say, they could've released it as free day one DLC, since it wasn't made before they submitted the game for approval, and thus couldn't be on the disc).
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby TheNesta » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm

Well, I didn't mean for this to turn into a hate-fest on modern business practices, but, okay.

Look, I know people are upset about this situation, as well as some of the reprehensible marketing EA has taken with this particular game. Sure, it sucks. Does that matter to me personally? Not at all. As I said, this is a game I've been very excited for, and regardless of whether I was going to obtain this content or not* wouldn't really effect my excitement for the game, let alone boycott it. Now of course, that's just my opinion on it, your mileage may vary, and in fact, looks like it has based off the replies!

Now, of course there's quite a bit of an uproar over this, and, I guess rightfully so. But, I think until people actually get to play the game, and see the significance of the DLC, it's just people theorizing on how much people are really getting screwed over here. Should the content be included? Yeah, probably. But keep a few things in mind a few things first.

It could be less important than you think. - As I said above, we really don't know how big a role this DLC plays in the grand scheme of things. For example, with Mass Effect 2, the character Zaeed was included as free DLC in new copies of the game. A better way to handle the situation to be sure. None the less, were used gamers screwed over all that much? A little, he was a whole other character after all, but on the other hand he impacted the game very little. You could have an entirely complete Mass Effect 2 experience without him.

It's 2012, DLC is going to happen. - Like it or not, DLC is a common strategy used in the game industry nowadays. I won't bore you with the details of this, as you are probably already aware of the pros and cons of this system. Now, with that said. There was undoubtedly going to be DLC for Mass Effect 3. Now, I think the reason people are so upset about this particular piece of DLC is that it happens to be Day One DLC. Again, not uncommon nowadays either, but it does strike a bit of a nerve because it implies that obviously this content could have been included with the purchase of the game. So, this doesn't really make the situation any better, but, would it really be that big of a deal if this DLC was put out a month from now? No, I don't think people would be making nearly as big of a deal out of it.

Now, that's really all the defense I can offer. To be clear, it's a shitty situation, and I wish that weren't the case. In fact, it's painful to see EA using such brute force tactics to promote this game, because it just leaves people with a bad taste in their mouth, and as a fan of the franchise, I'd rather not see that. Still, I tried to provide a bit of explanation for it, because, hey, why not?

I know someone said they were going to boycott the game, and that's perfectly acceptable I guess. You know, vote with your wallets and all. But I guess when it comes down to it, the idea of boycotting is always so ridiculous to me. At this point, it's not going to make a difference in this particular case, and if you were interested in the game originally, it seems like you're just cheating yourself out of the experience. But, there are options. If you wait, you could get the game for cheaper, and the DLC could cover the cost of a full price game. You could wait for the eventual Game of The Year Edition which includes all the DLC. Or, I guess you could just get the game and not worry about the DLC.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. If it makes any bit of difference, I'll report back in here with how significant the DLC actually is.

*Note: I will be getting the DLC.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Soeroah » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 pm

That's one of the things about the whole situation. There was day one DLC with Mass Effect 2 as well, but it was free across all platforms.

This one is $10, available on Day One and indeed is included as part of the Collector's Edition.

I was pissed off enough that Arrival was DLC, considering it leads directly into ME3. I still didn't get to play it, but if I play ME3, the events are going to reference it as if I saw it firsthand. That shouldn't happen.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Next

Return to Gamer's Paradise