[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Tales of Graces EEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!~~~~~
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Tales of Graces EEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!~~~~~

Everything related to games~

Tales of Graces EEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!~~~~~

Postby Pie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 pm

It's out in stores!!!! If you're a Tales fan, go get it NOWWWWWW!!!! -and tell me what you like and dislike about it! XD /heh

I would post a link with some basic info like the back story, characters, systems, etc., for those who don't know much or anything about the game but unfortunately, Bandai Namco of America has a tendency to NOT MAKE official pages for a lot of their games. >_>

Here's what I was able to scrounge up for you guys XD;; :

I'm so Tales obsessed right now. T-T

Edit: oh yeah... I don't like the "UK March Trailer," hopefully that doesn't discourage you from looking more into the game. >.<
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Re: Tales of Graces EEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!~~~~~

Postby ThePaul » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:45 pm

I need to buy this game, because these are fun games. But I also need to buy Yakuza: Dead Souls and Silent Hill Downpour, which also came out yesterday T_T

Well, I guess I did just buy Downpour for my brother's Birthday (in September) and I'm still not done with Yakuza 3&4, so that settles it, I'll go buy it tomorrow! Just as soon as I recover from my sun burn and other aches (that aren't imaginary, like The Iron Man Incident).

Sorry Pie, I'm going to have to buy online, so I can't talk to you about how awesome this game is till the weekend. Hopefully I can find someone to play it with, because that's the my main draw to this Tales games :)
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Bear » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:57 pm

But I like your imaginary illnesses. It gives me something that I can react to in total seriousness and play off later like I knew all along....

wait.

I'm doing this wrong somehow.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm

SIGH...normally I'd be the one not only already talking about it but I'd have made the thread too, sorry =(

Things are too crazy lately and money too tight...though I'll be getting Kid Ikarus with some trade ins at least. My old roommie is playing graces though and I'll borrow it when he's done...for now maybe I can pull him in to talk about it.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby TheNesta » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Well, here I am to talk about it, but honestly I've only played about 3 hours so far, so this is going to be some pretty limited impressions.

It's hard to compare Graces f with something like Vesperia, because Graces f is a port of a Wii game. So, despite it being quite a bit newer than Vesperia, it doesn't look as good. It looks fine, don't get me wrong, but it just makes me yearn for Xillia more which from what I've seen looks even better than Vesperia does.

On the other hand, Graces f introduces new combat mechanics which spice up the typical Tales combat a bit. I already liked Tales combat, but it's interesting to see this new system in play. Basically, they got rip of TP entirely, and now you have a CP system, which I think stands for Critical Points. Depending on your weapon you have more or less CP during battle. You spend your CP by doing attacks in battle, and you regain it through several means, like comboing enemies, guarding, and so on. There's also two different modes of attack. A and B. A attacks are your normal attacks, but instead of just mashing the attack button over and over again, you press the attack button, and a direction on the analog stick to string together different basic attacks. It's kind of like a simplistic fighting game system. And then B attacks are your usual Artes that function the same as they always did, they just require CP now instead of TP.

I only just recently got access to B attacks, so give me a little more time to play with it, and I'll let you know what I think more in depth. So far, it seems neat, but we'll have to see if the new system works out better than just spamming attacks with TP.

There's a couple of other new additions, like a revised crafting system from Vesperia, and an Alchemy pot of sorts that will either cook food during battles, or have a chance of duplicating items as you walk around. I only just recently got access to that too, but it seems neat.

All that aside, I wish I could talk more about the characters, and the story. But I just haven't seen enough of it yet. The first few hours of the game are sort of a Prologue where the main characters are just children. None of them really stand out so far though, except for Sophie, who is awesome. Asbel seems like he'll be cool too, but I can't really vouch for the others.

I will say one thing though, and that is that the game's pacing was very plodding to begin with. There were lengthy cutscenes that spent about 10 minutes depicting stuff that could have easily been addressed in half the time. Now, there's a number of reasons this could have stood out to me: A) I just got done playing Mass Effect 3, and WRPGs are quite a bit snappier with their storytelling, B) I need to re-familiarize myself with JRPGs, or C) The game just has some terrible pacing in the beginning. Admittedly it became far less noticeable the more I played, so take that for what you will.

Anyways, there you go, early impressions. I'm looking forward to playing a lot more of it pretty soon. But was trying to get through some rental games, and debating if I want to take two hours to play Journey. But, I will definitely be playing more of it soon.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Luc of True Wind » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I started playing it too, but i only played like 40 mins haha

The battle system with the CC (Chain Capacity) is taken straight from the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake. I like the battle system! It's cool with all the dodges and chaining attacks :) I also have not seen enough to say that I like someone right away, but I also think Sophie and Asbel are pretty cool so far /ok

I will be reporting more soon hopefully /ho
Luc of True Wind
High Mage LV 52/40
High Mage  LV 52/40

Postby chrisb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 pm

My girlfriend is playing Vesperia right now and I'll pop in for a 2 player game when I'm free. Great graphics. I have played Phantasia which was a lot of fun, but what got me really into the series was Symphonia. Even though Symphonia has a huge place in my gamer heart, Legendia will always be my favorite Tales of game. The gameplay is horrible, but the soundtrack, story and characters blow away all the others in the series.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Luc of True Wind » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:38 pm

I love Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Destiny. Tales of Destiny was the first one I played and I found the story so amazing and the characters so memorable. I loved it so much, I bought the PS2 Japanese remake and played it on a moded PS2 and read a translation as I played /heh The remake is so gorgeously animated and the music is beautiful /ho
I also love Tales of the Abyss because by far this one has the best characters, in my opinion. Jade is so profound, hilarious and complex, and Tear is probably my favorite character from all the Tales games /lv Vesperia is a beautiful game and I think it is an excellent addition to the series. The story becomes so complex and the characters only become more loveable as the story develops. The battles are fun and all the characters have such awesome attacks and magic. Everyone should play a Tales game! They are so much fun! /lv
Luc of True Wind
High Mage LV 52/40
High Mage  LV 52/40

Postby RollCasket » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:10 pm

That's weird...I stopped playing Abyss solely because I couldn't stand the characters and were bugging me more as I played >.> I'm sure they get better later but I just couldn't take them long enough. I'm spoiled from the other Tales games I think =P Symphonia is by far my favorite in every aspect and my favorite set of characters so far, but I think Vesperia comes in 2nd there, and though it's a lil bit of a black sheep I also really like Symphonia 2.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Alexx » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 am

The wife and I started playing this as soon as it came out, though we're only a little bit of ways into the the second section (teenagers). The Tales series kinda turned into a thing for the both of us, so we have been playing them together (the console ones, anyway) since Symphonia. She had played Symphonia herself first (which sparked her love for the series and sent her on a quest to find earlier ones) and she had urged me to play Symphonia some years ago...and I tried. I am just terrible at managing my party. I love the battle system, but for the life of me I can't pay attention to the other party members. So, seeing me only pick the game up every so often, she took matters into her own hands and picked up another controller to play it with me. Then my friend Simon noticed and did the same, which lead to us three playing through all of Symphonia! Same thing happened with Abyss (friggin' LOVE Abyss) until Vesperia, where schedule conflicts made it so Simon wasn't able to play as often, so just me and my wife played through Vesperia.

Anyway, that leads to here, where we're now playing through Graces together. She takes the helm because she can multi-task, and I'm a rabid attack dog that runs down enemies and ARTES them to death. Don't get me wrong, though: I'm not just sitting there waiting for battles. I'm of course paying attention to the story, but I also keep my keen eye on the screen for finding treasures 'n stuff, and paying close attention to dialogue. She can multi-task, but she also is so straight to the point that she tends to miss the little stuff.

Moving on: I'm liking the game so far. Doesn't seem to be as much funny stuff as Abyss or Vesperia, but it's still early and some serious shite is still goin' down. I do like the serious stuff so far; they are doing some standard character junk like ignoring obvious things 'n such, but nothing I'm not use to (and it's not as bad as in some games). I suppose I have to bow to current lingo and call it "JRPG stuff." Anyway, the story is engaging and keeping me interested. The characters are usual Tales fare; meaning I like them more than most RPG characters even if they pull some of the standard crap. Usually it's the writing that stands out to me.

The battle system totally threw us for a loop at first, but now that I understand it I LOVE IT. It's great for an attack dog like myself, because I barely have to pay attention to anything. Without TP I don't find myself suddenly mashin' away at my specials without anything happening (they found out I mash like a madman one time when in Abyss, my friend Simon paused to get a gel and found that I was still trying to hit the attack button...). Seems like I can get my CC back without thinking too much about it, and my standard attacks are more like combos so they're MUCH more fun! Like TheNesta said above: it's kinda like a fighting game, but less complicated, and I love it!

Everything else is feeling like a beautiful mix of all the best parts of other Tales games; the item mixing (dualizing) is a good example. It's like someone finally got the memo that mixing items without ANY idea of what you're going to get is NO FUN. So here you choose an item, it'll show you what you can use with it, then IT WILL TELL YOU what you get if you put them together! No looking online for a guide to mixing! It's all right there for you. I always hated random mixing; if I didn't have a guide I just didn't bother with it.

They also give you the ability to upgrade weapons, though I'm not as keen on that. It's cool, and they do give you enough junk to upgrade them so you don't feel like you're wasting precious things...but it still feels pointless when you're just gona get a new weapon later. You put all this work into some random weapon and...there it goes. So we're trying stuff out now, but I don't know if we'll continue. I figure if we are leveling well enough we won't need a +2 or +3 weapon with a minor upgrade in abilities. We'll certainly do it near the end, though!

Overall I am enjoying the game so far, and my wife is already saying "OMG BEST EVER", but only because she's nuckin' futz for Tales and she was having a serious JONES for new Tales. At the moment - even though she is loving the new systems so far - I think think it'll be tough to beat Vesperia. Perhaps it's just me.
Last edited by Alexx on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Next

Return to Gamer's Paradise