[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - That One Boss
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

That One Boss

Everything related to games~

That One Boss

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 am

You know the one I'm talking about. You can't wait to fight this boss, and the longer you go without getting to that fight, the more amped you get. Not because you're excited for the challenge, or because you know beating that boss will open up the next major sequence. No, this has nothing to do with game advancement. This time, it's personal.

Maybe this boss has been hitting you from behind the entire game. Maybe this boss has done some truly appalling things over the hours. Maybe this boss just rubs you the wrong way. Whatever the case you just can't wait to reach this boss and put him in his place. You can't wait to go head to head, to show him that for all his talk, all his evil, he can't stand up to you. You can't wait until he's nothing but a memory, a memory that ends with your victory. This isn't the guy you were excited to fight because you thought he might be tough. This is the monster that you just hated and wanted to take down.

For me, it was Dalles from Ys II. The odd thing about him is that he recognizes you as a threat from the beginning, but still runs his mouth anyway. He's essentially the right hand man of the main boss. He is part of a group of monsters terrorizing the land of Ys, though Dalles himself can pass for human. He's dressed in a black cloak, and is mainly a wizard.

(mild spoiler warning)
As you travel through this game you come into contact with atrocity after atrocity commited by Dalles. The first time is when you get a town where everyone is mysteriously hostile to you. The only way to progress is over the bridges that lead in and out of this town. The north bridge is raised, and the operator will not lower it to allow you to pass. It turns out that Dalles came and kidnapped the operator's son to hold him hostage and turn the town against you. When you finally rescue the boy, he makes a mention of being scared that he might starve. Another town you reach is nearest to the monster's nest, a shrine that the monsters took over, which used to be the seat of power on Ys. This town has been under constant attack, its residents periodically kidnapped to be used as sacrifices. Every day they can hear the five chimes of the bell tower that signals another sacrifice. Dalles' handywork again, and he still has the audacity to walk through this village passing as a human.

In the shrine he gives you a chance to turn and run, and when you don't take it he curses you into another form. Somehow, he believed that would stop you. Later, you find some people you were looking for hidden away after escaping the prison where sacrifices were being held. One of them you befriended early in the game. You think you've saved them, but Dalles was really just following you. He shows up and curses them as well, and taunts you about how powerless you are. By this point, I'm really looking forward to taking him down, but of course, I have to cure my friends of the curse first.

The kicker is in the bell tower. You arrive there just as a sacrifical countdown has begun. You can't reach the altar, and the girl there tells you to save yourself. Instead you race up the tower, the bell chiming away, and arrive a moment too late. Once again, Dalles is the culprit, and once again, he taunts you before warping away without a fight. You make your way back down the tower and see the girl there, apparently dead. As you exit the tower back into the shrine, the music changes, perfectly reflecting how I now wish to tear apart every monster in my way, but none more than Dalles. I've defeated every major enemy he's thrown at me, and I absolutely cannot wait to take him down.

Finally, I reach him. This fight has it's own music, which is pretty crazy. To be honest, I didn't find him to be that tough of a fight. In both of my playthroughs of Ys II I was able to take him down on the first try. That didn't really matter to me though. At that point, all I wanted to do was scream his name as I ran in to tear him apart. This is what I did, and watching him go down was extra satisfying. Dalles was everything a villain should be. Not just another enemy to slow you down, but the guy who gets in your head and gets your blood boiling. The one you'll stop at nothing to beat. I love Ys II, absolutely love this game, and my own personal feeling against Dalles are probably a huge reason why.

As an honorable mention, I would like to add that if you got the chance to fight Sodia from Tales of Vesperia, she might be in the same vein. Wow but she ticked me right off. Anyway, I'm sure plenty of you have good stories on this matter, and I'm eager to see what bosses really affected you like Dalles got to me.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Re: That One Boss

Postby TheNesta » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:31 pm

TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Wow. Yeah I really need to play Suikoden II. I do intend to buy it at some point, but a friend of mine did recently, so it's available to me when I get around to it. I want to finish the first one before I do, though. I have an interesting relationship with that series. I own I, III, IV, tactics, and V, but I've only beaten III. I've gotten to the end of IV, and played tactics a little. V I love and have played probably about halfway, but I keep getting ahead and not building up my characters like I need to. The last major battle I fought was... can't remember the name of the city, but it was set on three islands, and was a combination land and sea battle. Good lord but I hope there aren't any more of those.

Anyway, the story of that final fight with Luca sounds pretty crazy, and sounds like something to look forward to when I finally get around to playing it.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Joseph Collins » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm not that hard to find… if you know where to look.
-=()=-
Joseph Collins
Archer LV 11/1
Archer  LV 11/1

Postby TheNesta » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Oi. I really butchered the Suikoden name there. /shy
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Alexx » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:01 pm

HMMM...I'll have to dig deep for this one:

- Secret of Mana: Thanatos - Throughout Secret of Mana, Thanatos is the guy that is thwarting you the WHOLE way. He kills some suckas, sets up temples and steals people from a town, controls people's minds, and is generally an evil dick. Each time you get to him you figure you'll be fighting him - or at least doing one of those fights you're supposed to lose - but this guy gets away every time. Right up to the very last dungeon in the game. Needless to say, I was chompin' at the bit to get this guy. Best thing about it is that - even though the song is scary and he turns into a giant skelebeast with instant-kill hands - you can still wipe the floor with him by staying out of range of his hands and casting your strongest spells in his face. EAT IT THANATOS.

- Final Fantasy 8: Rajin, Fujin, and Seifer - I don't like this game and I don't hide that fact. Nonetheless, I try to stay away from bashing it for no reason. On top of that, I did want to give it another shot...I just couldn't. My wife was playing through the FF games herself though, so I lived through her and watcher her play FF8....and watched her develop the same complaints I had about it. ANYWAY: On top of hating just about everyone in that game, I did also hate the bad guys! Seifer and his two idiot friends Rajin and Fujin were so damn stupid that I couldn't wait to beat on them. It was personal from the first time I read anything that Seifer or his henchmen said. So when I heard I would be fighting them on board the Lunatic Pandora I was SO EXCITED!! I was prepared, I thought, and I figured that since I was taking down the current enemies well enough I would be able to whip them around like rag dolls. I'll cut to the chase: they killed me. Quickly. I barely had a chance, and it pissed me off. That was it, for that game. I was already not enjoying it, so I kinda set it down and figured it would get back to it later. Sadly I was borrowing it and the Playstation I was using to play it, so somewhere along the way I gave it back and my game accidentally got erased. I had to live through my wife and watch her beat the ever loving #@&$ out of those asshats.

- Cave Story: The Doctor - Oh boy. If anything counted for this thread it would be this guy. Cave Story has the amazing ability to grab you emotionally and drag you in with very little. Simple graphics, short game, few characters, but SO much personality. The Doctor is one of the most brilliant villians i've run into (in terms of video games), because he just does so little, but what he does is so despicable and you are so powerless to stop him that, when you get to him, you're so ready to fight that it just extends past the game experience. You seriously hate this guy! He succeeds at everything he does in the game until the very end, and he's so powerful that he doesn't have to pay any attention to your doings. Standard badguy overlook, but it somehow works for him and moves past the cliche. I dunno what it is about that guy...maybe it's just cause he's so realistically human. There's no over-the-top villiany about him: just cold logic and the power to do whatever he pleases. You just cannot wait to fight him, and when you do, he doesn't disappoint.

- Guilty Gear XX: I-No - It's sort of a lesser extent here, but OMG is she a bitch. She is the most basic troll-jerk and she only opens her mouth to piss everyone off. It's not like she's talkin' to the player, but it's pretty plain that you wana beat the daylights out of her when you get there. Sadly, you gotta bring your A-game or you're gona get murt. At least you're pumped though, 'cause you really wana smack the sass outa her facehole.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones off the top of my head!
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby Adol The Red » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:37 pm

I hated the Doctor after just watching Alexx play a small bit of Cave Story, and I'm glad he got brought up because the doctor was certainly on my mind when I posted this topic. Alexx put it best. You only have to see even one thing he does to really hate him.

And on I-No, I pretty much hate her too. It's extra special because Dizzy is my favorite Guilty Gear character. If you don't know, each character's story mode in GGXX has 3 endings. Most are easy to get, and some have very specific circumstances you have to carry out. One of Dizzy's, though, is freaking hard. See, I-No with boss powers can pretty much wipe the floor with you, no matter what difficulty you're on, even when you know how to evade her murderous attack balls (what else you gonna call 'em?). Well, one of Dizzy's endings is losing to I-No in that fight. Everyone else gets to just hit retry, but with Dizzy, you have to play the entire mode over again to get the ending that involves beating her. I was shaking by the time I finally pulled it off. I was so revved up that I was taking out the enemies before her in seconds. I swear I beat Faust in ten seconds during one of my runs. Once you beat her, though, you get to fight her again with gold powers Dizzy (each character has an unlockable gold form, which grants you more speed and power, and for some characters, such as Dizzy, gives you a regenerating health bar). That battle is sweet retribution, and I thuroughly enjoyed dishing out the pain with an unstoppable Dizzy.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Probably Yami from Okami. You knew there was some really evil dude pulling all the strings to let the demons into Nippon, but you just couldn't tell who it was. After fighting each of the bosses in Nippon, it never seemed like you had completely made the problem go away. However, when you boarded the Ark of Yamato and fought each boss again, it was obvious that something was going down. The form they put Yami in, as a little fish in a bowl controlling this huge destruction dealing body was a bit silly, but you stopped laughing when he took away all your powers and made you retrieve and use each brush technique against him in an epic battle. That was the first time I felt like I had truly beaten a game.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby RollCasket » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Well I posted a reply but my phone apparently ate it. As far as I-no goes though she's not that hard once you see some of the things she does. There are certain moves that she will always do after certain attacks/combos, and the "murderous death balls" I believe she does more often when you hit her with a combo over a certain number of hits. I forget all the specifics though as I haven't played in a while. I WILL say though that some of the fights in the story mode in general are pretty absurd what they want you to do.

If you want hard fighting game bosses though, and I'm talking ball bustingly hard, look no further than ANY SNK FIGHTING GAME EVER. Some are especially bad, but even the easier ones are harder than most any other fighting game.

I'll add more to this thread when I'm not on my phone =P
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Adol The Red » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Interesting. I've never been much into fighting games, really. I used to be terrible at them. I got into Guilty Gear because someone lent me the GGX soundtrack and I could not stop listening to it. Eventually I had to play it, and for a few months we went nuts, playing GG every day. I have a few series I enjoy, mostly GG, Soul Calibur, and Tekken, but I'm not what you would call "good" at them. I can beat them, but I'm usually too frantic to notice things like which combos to use and stuff. The best tactic I ever came up with for I-No is to hold off on special skills so I could save my faultless guard for when she launches the wide spread attack of death balls. I know you can avoid them if you jump at the right time, but I never managed to figure out the timing. Still, I love Guilty Gear. Some of the smoothest 2D fighting out there, in my opinion (along with Blazblue, of course). Also, nothing beats Gamma Raying some fools in the face.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Next

Return to Gamer's Paradise