[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal

Everything related to games~

Re: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal

Postby ThePaul » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:33 pm

I think we need to move this thread to the Rants and NSFW forum. Think of the children.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Farore » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Well, there are I'm sure a ton of ideas floating around. The idea about a trophy room in Home, as I said before, sounded cool. Unlockables are fun. Since neither company make the majority of their games they could implement something based off the number you have. Say when you unlock X amount of trophies or achievements you get Y for your Avatar or for Home.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:12 am

I'm getting the same feeling too, Paul. I love Sony with all my heart for making some of the best games of my childhood, but this kind of makes me sad to see that there are indeed people who hold quite a lot of contempt for them. I do realize that what they've done with the PS3 is sort of ridiculous by having it so expensive for so long and just recently redesigning and dropping the price, but I still think they're a great company with a great legacy who has endeared me as a loyal fanboy. Sorry if I sound ignorant here, but I don't really care about any of Sony's shortcomings. As long as I can play some creatively developed games and avoid having the vast majority of CoD and Halo players on my friends list (who I'd have to put up with if I got an Xbox), then I'm good to go.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby TheNesta » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 am

There's obviously pros and cons to both consoles, and their infrastructures, and the way each company does business. But, when it comes down to it, The X-Box 360 and The Playstation 3 are pretty much the same thing. If you were to match up the software libraries of both systems you'd end up with a pretty similar list. And basically the only thing it really comes down to is a handful of exclusives. For me, it's worth it to have both consoles, and I enjoy them both without really picking sides.

Despite things getting a bit "heated" in this thread, I think there's a lot of truth to what's being said, when you get down to it. As for my part in the conversation, I only got involved with the Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal game. And, if my impressions of that offended anyone, I apologize. I still stand by what I said though, and think Sony will have a tough go at making this thing a success. But, I'm certainly open to the possibility of it being a fun game. And hell, I don't know if you guys noticed in my ramblings, but I actually started to get excited at the prospect of what they could do with the game. Granted, I think all of that stuff is a bit pie in the sky, it still provided me with some interesting insight: Sony has some interesting characters in the backlog.

As for the other allegations against Sony, the company, in this topic, there's truth to some of that too. For instance, Farore saying that Sony borrows a bunch of ideas. This is certainly true, but it's all part of the industry. The video games industry thrives on the borrowing, and innovating of existing ideas. Not only does it allow these ideas to become more polished, but it also generates competition in the market. "Competition?" you say. Indeed, believe it or not competition is more than just a fantastical battle of who is the better company. It also breeds the need to improve on what the competitors have to offer. Thus, we end up with better products in the end. Or at least, that's the idea.

Admittedly though, it's also true that Sony has lifted things a little more...whole-sale. For instance, as was mentioned in this thread: Motion Controls, and Trophies. There's no beating around the bush about this, The Move is an attempt at a Wii cash-in. But, on the other hand, Microsoft is guilty of the same thing with the Kinect. But who can blame them? The Wii had a very successful run, and Sony and Microsoft both believed motion controls were the key. And... where are they now? The Move is pretty much abandoned, and The Kinect, while still popular in certain crowds, really hasn't pumped out anything revolutionary. For my money? They both suck. But I digress.

As for Trophies. Yeah, they're pretty much Achievements. Sure, other people might have toyed with the concept before, but let's not kid ourselves here, Microsoft are the ones who made it relevant. Since then, I think everyone has tried implementing it into their platforms. Not just Sony, but Steam as well. Even Nintendo is just now toying with it, because they're so god damn slow at things. But yeah, it's not really that surprising. For whatever reason people really got into the whole...gamification of games. If that even makes sense.

As for where I fall on that matter, I happen to agree with what seems like the majority of people. Achievements are just more appealing. Why? I don't really think there's a definitive answer to that. If I had to guess, it probably has something to do with the fact that it was there first. So people have had a longer time to amass those points, and get attached to them. Another thing, though this is a little more personal opinion. I like that big meaty Achievement score. It's no nonsense, pretty much, BAM, you get what you see. To this day, I still don't fully understand how the whole Trophy scoring system works. However, I will say that the Platinum Trophies are pretty neat, and that's something Microsoft should probably rip-off. I'm just sayin'

As for Playsation Plus... It's actually pretty neat. I'd really rather not get into a lengthy discussion about which service is better between X-Box Live, and Playstation Network, but the long and short of it is that they both have problems. On the one hand, it's ridiculous that you have to pay for X-Box Live Gold. Ridiculious. I don't care what sort of counter argument you have against it, it shouldn't be the case. When you pay for an X-Box Live Gold account, you get access to online multiplayer, new demos, and various streaming service apps. When you buy a PS3, you get access to all that stuff - for free - forever. I honestly don't know how Microsoft gets away with it. Also with the recent UI changes which have turned the dashboard into one of the biggest clusterfucks of all time, and the fact that most of those streaming apps don't run nearly as well as they do on the PS3, I'm really starting to lean towards PSN being the superior service. Except for a few things...

With PSN, there are still a few issues. For starters, I have had terrible experiences trying to play PS3 games online. I think, now, would be a good time for your XBL counter-argument, and it goes something like this: "You get what you pay for". Another really big advantage that XBL has over PSN is that every XBLA game is required by Microsoft to have a demo. So you can try every game on that service before you buy it. Most PSN games don't get demos, so that's a major bummer. Aside from those two things, which are, to be fair, pretty significant, I think PSN does everything way better than XBL.

Wow, so much for not going into that discussion, huh? ANYWAYS- back to Playstation Plus. Since Sony doesn't charge for it's usual service, it offers a Premium service that gives you access to some neat perks. Discounts for one, which can save you money in the long run if you buy a lot of stuff from PSN. The ability to try out full featured game demos. And, hey, some free games. So, to recap. Basic PSN gives you access to everything XBL does, but if you want to pay for PS Plus, they give you a bunch more stuff on top of that. It's a pretty cool idea, and I've been tempted by the offer a few times. Frankly, I don't see the problem with it.

Final bit about XBL vs. PSN while we're at it. There is one big misconception here, and that's that people on XBL are somehow worse than they are on PSN. I hate to break this to you, but that's simply not true. While it is certainly true that putting an X-Box Headset up to your head in a game full of random racist 14 year-olds is about as intelligent as putting a loaded gun to your head - the fact of the matter is those scumbags are everywhere. Call of Duty players are still Call of Duty players, whether it be on the 360, PS3, or PC. Sadly, you can't escape them. Though, for what it's worth - advantage to Sony, because they don't package a headset with the console.

Okay, I think that about wraps it up. I hope I have mediated the conversation enough. Though, honestly, it wasn't even that bad. True, I haven't been here that long, so maybe it was a real knock-down drag out by this board's standards, but, have you guys been to NeoGAF? Shit is cray cray.

Anyways, tl;dr: Sony is a business, they make business decisions. Some of them were smart, some of them fell a little short. At the end of the day, the Playstation 3 is pretty identical to the X-Box 360, and as it turns out, both are quite good. And, we'll see if Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal was even worth discussing at all later this year.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby RollCasket » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Yeah I really don't know what happened in this thread other than some things got...lost in translation maybe.

Nobody was trying to bash Sony, as obvious by the fact that we have a ps3 and play plenty of games. This thread was about this game specifically and how it's EXACTLY like Smash Bros. If you've watched the videos, the floaty jumping, the way the camera moves, down to the characters skills are basically ripped straight from it. Nobody said they shouldn't make a brawler, just that maybe they could have, you know, made it their own.

The only reason it sidetracked into Sony as a company was because Bear asked what other things they had done. I think any open minded person can look at ALL the systems and see faults in them, I know I can. Regardless of any faults companies or systems have, it's about the games and what you want to play, and that's why I have all the systems.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Farore » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:07 pm

There are why all the consoles suck. But there are just as many as why they are good. I have all of the consoles on that list, and I still play all of them. If you're willing to look past your love and loyalty of any one system, most of the stuff on this list rings true.

Anyways, I started this thread to point out that this game is the closest thing I've ever seen to a carbon copy of a game. I'm all for Sony making a mash up brawler. I know I personally won't buy it, [i]especially[/i] if it stays the way its looking. Not because I think it's a rip off, but because personally (and don't hate me) I really don't like Smash Bros. Loved the first one on the N64, and I loved the story mode in Brawl, but the actual 4 player mode made me dizzy and irritated. I won't lie, I got the game when it came out because I wanted to play as Zelda. That's the only reason /swt2

This single game being developed isn't going to make me toss my PS3 out the window into a pile of mud or anything. But it is disappointing, and it would be just as disappointing if anyone else was making it.

I understand that people will be for and against games, but I didn't realize that voicing a less than positive opinion would create such a stir. This tread was about a PS3 game, so it follows that the opinions voiced would be about Sony. I said multiple times that other companies are just as guilty of some of these things, but clearly it came across as Sony bashing. I think from now on I'll just stick to the games I enjoy and let the others go so as to not create conflict.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby ThePaul » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:30 am

You did come in kinda' strong with your dislike for this game, and then everyone else seem to pile on their own misgivings x10. Then they all left and you were the only one left still trying to prove there is reason to dislike the game.

But yes, it is a good idea to not show even the slightest disrespect for something someone loves when it comes to things people have strong feelings about (like video games, religion, the freedom to express someone's cannibalistic nature, etc.)
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby RollCasket » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Let's please not start this up again, especially as that was not the point. All that we were annoyed with was how much it's exactly like Smash, and how the mix of serious and cartoony characters is awkward and does a disservice to both sides.

In any case, this is a video game forum and people are going to have opinions. Are you really saying there won't and can't be any even remotely negative comments? What we said was more in a joking manner than anything and there certainly was constructive feedback on things they could've done to improve on the game.

In any case it's done with now. Let's just drop it and leave it at that.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 pm

And yet we keep commenting on it.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Previous

Return to Gamer's Paradise