[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Whatcha play'n?
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Whatcha play'n?

Everything related to games~

Re: Whatcha play'n?

Postby Alexx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Last edited by Alexx on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby ThePaul » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:51 am

Finally getting some gaming time that isn't Dark Souls (and thus Gaming time that doesn't turn my brain into moosh), but I'm still trying not to die all the time in it. Finally bought a Vita on Tuesday and grabbed Gravity Rush and Hot Shots Golf (because GameStop and BX had no copies of Gravity Rush and the PSN Stop took forever to update). Have played very little of Gravity Rush, but quiet a bit of Hot Shots. Also, bought Lollipop Chainsaw at the same time, and have played through the Prologue and First Level. Pretty fun stuff, but I'm afraid Hot Shots has gotten the most play time this week /swt2
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon was one game I was putting a few hours into this week. I was afraid the huge gameplay changes would take away from the overall experience, but it has actually made the game intense x1million. I don't think I've played such a game for a while where I've been so on edge. It's great, though. The immersion into the role of pilot or gunner is made so much more real. On another note, I've also enjoyed the story, despite it not being set in the fictional world from previous games. It's a really cool, clever story of a NATO force trying to stop an evil organization (essentially the Russian mafia) from destroying the world with a mysterious weapon.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Adol The Red » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:00 pm

So I went and got Dragon's Dogma yesterday. I was mostly intrigued by the Pawn system, where you create a character who travels along with your created character. They don't really have their own will, and you can hire other pawns to be in your party, including pawns other people have created. These pawns learn things as you fight monsters, complete quests, and travel through various regions, and that information can be helpful in your quest. They can also learn stuff when they perform quests for other people.

Anyway, that's as advertised, and I was interested. So far its a neat game. I like the character creator a lot. It starts you off by choosing from a list of presets, but you can go into further detail after those if you wish. Instead of lots of sliders to tweak the facial sculpt, they give you presets of each individual part to scroll through, each of which can be modified to some small degree. This may seem like it would be limiting, but I have to admit that I've created far better looking and more unique characters in Dragon's Dogma than I ever did in Skyrim or Mass Effect. I'm certainly not knocking those character creators; I am a fan of depth of control, but this system just works better for me. What's also cool is that you can tweak their body type, from skinny to fat and frail to muscular, regardless of gender. You can also set their posture, from a timid, face down stance to a more in your face stance. I like to be able to control these sorts of things. Finally, you have six voices to choose from, though so for my main character has never spoken, but your pawns do.

Pretty much its the standard fare. Get quests, fight things, but it has a good feel. The combat is more actionful. You have normal and strong attacks, and can set special attacks. You start out with three classes, which can be upgraded to more specialized classes later. And in combat the pawns are actually very useful. For one they can spot an ambush way before I ever can, and the traversal AI is so far very well done. (Speaking of traversal, you can climb up on things. Now, when I play anything with a big world, I see tall things and want to get on top of them, so having the ability to jump and grab certain ledges is very cool to me.)

Now, if you've seen any reviews for this game, then you know the pawns don't shut up. Normally this doesn't bother me, but when I'm searching the beach I don't need three different people, each about six times in a row, telling me that you can see seamonsters from the shore, and they can see you. And the other phrases. It's not a game killer, but damn it can get annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if each voice actor for the various voices had slight variations in the wording... but they don't. And I'm tired of the word "aught". Maybe there is aught of use up that path, but could you please pick a different favorite word? Just play it, you'll see what I mean. The only other thing I can't seem to do is use healing items on my pawns, or make them use their own items. This is a problem during a long trek because when you take damage you lose some points off your max health. Magic will only heal you back up to your limited health. To restore it you need to rest, or use one of your very abundant healing items. Now, I think this mechanic is kind of a cool way to handle the notion of getting tired over a long trek, and since items can boot you right back up its not ever a big deal. Except that I can't seem to item heal my pawns. And you don't have any direct control of them so I'm not sure what to do. If anyone knows about some obvious things I've missed then please tell me.

Anyway, my last point is on bosses. These are very cool fights in that you don't just beat on them until their HP runs out like any other enemy. On some of them you have to systematically attack certain parts to disable their skills. You also make heavy use of the grab system during these fights. During one I had to grab on to the monster's leg and attack to pull it off balance, which made it fall on its back where you could get at its head and do considerably more damage. My last fight was against a gigantic Hydra. It had about 8 stacked life bars and its scales were nigh on inpenetrable. To beat it I had to climb up a neck and lop one of its heads off. And this only made it run away, so I'm sure I'll be fighting it again at some point.

Okay, I just wanted to give a few thoughts on Dragon's Dogma and I did another freaking sort of game review. Anyway, playing that while on vacation, along with working on some stuff in Journey. Finally did another journery, got some trophies, and got the white robe. And I think I'll stop typing now.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Ninja_moofin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Actually Adol I picked up Dragon's Dogma as well not sure entirely about how it would turn out from seeing the reviews, But I have to admit I liked the game a great deal! they do sort of have a way to get the pawns to be less talkative, but it was a great game for me, maybe not for everyone but I personally enjoyed the game.

Hiring other peoples pawns is cool cause the info they have from what other people have done can help a great deal at times. also some of the bigger monster fights are crazy fun! the Big Red Dragon from the start of the game is hands down one the coolest fights I've played in awhile. if your hooked online most of the NPC's that fill the town become peoples pawns. I ran around and explored and just messed around but it was a lot of fun.

The story even though I read some reviews on it being really poor, isn't so bad actually if you do all the side quest type stuff it flushes it out a bit more to help you understand the whole thing instead of it seeming a bit random.
Ninja_moofin
Swordman LV 52/40
Swordman  LV 52/40

Postby Tony May-San » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:56 pm

i watched a friend play dragons dogma on saturday actually and i was quite impressed. he had started fresh so i saw the character creation and alot of the start of the game. i like the jumping, i used to be very in to parkour so watching him play this was amazing. some of the things you can climb are quite impressive, and being able to mount and attack larger enemies? brilliant. i may be buying this soon >.<
This tomato tastes like your mom..
Tony May-San
Thief LV 63/45
Thief  LV 63/45

Postby ThePaul » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:25 pm

I couldn't quite get into Dragon's Dogma, but that's probably because I haven't played a game where you need to manually save so often since Skyrim and most resently I've been playing Dark Souls where dying just means going to find you corpse for your souls and humanity. Still, I liked the character customization and the rediculous things you can do with the climbing and grab mechanics. Still, with so much customization in the characters, not being able to have more than one saved character is kinda a drag.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Adol The Red » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Paul you just voiced my one major complaint about Dragon's Dogma. It feels like a rediculous limitation. I feel like I should never see the screen "Proceeding with new game will delete all saved data" on a modern game. Ever. Even if it creates problems with people having a lot of main pawns, you could just limit people to having a main profile that shares their pawns online, while relegating the rest to simultated sharing. If that's even a problem. Bah, maybe I should be putting this in Rants and NFSW. It's just pointless to have such a good character creator that I can't play around with. Do you have any idea how many characters I created in Skyrim? At least 8, not that I've done much with all of them. (And my only complaint about Skyrim in this regard is that each character's saves are in a shared file. I very much like the profile system in games like Mass Effect.) I know complaining won't change it, and I'm certainly not going to stop playing a game I already bought because of it, but there are just things that games should and shouldn't do, and after decades of game design they should have figured all of this out by now. In fact, I think I'll make a topic about it...
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Bear » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Dragon's Dogma sounds pretty interesting from what you describe Adol and Kurtis. Like Tony, I love being able to run around exploring and climbing on things; parkour is really cool to me and it's one big reason Mirror's Edge is in my top games list. The boss encounters sound really cool too, so I might want to check it out.

As far as the save system, I really can't stand when companies artificially limit save slots or limit concurrent play-throughs. There just is no point in it; I'm certain there are always better solutions. Another huge gripe of mine is that more games should, especially console and computer games, have quick saves if you can't save at any time. I think creators should be mindful of letting players pick up and drop the game as life necessitates, such as if you only have a short amount of time to play before work.

As far as gaming goes, Pie and I beat Eternal Darkness (3 times, no less), and will probably be focusing on Amnesia now with a bit of Lone Survivor and Sword and Sworcery EP thrown in for good measure; I couldn't say no to the last indie bundle lol.

And yes. It is always time for Tetris.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Paradise