[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Whatcha play'n?
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Whatcha play'n?

Everything related to games~

Re: Whatcha play'n?

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:34 am

Have been playing the latest Borderlands game with my girlfriend. It's quite fun, the same boderlands formula that we all know and love with some nice tweaks. Playing in low gravity makes for a whole lot of fun and the new laser weapon type is awesome. The story is pretty cool as well. it's interesting to see what caused Jacks fall from grace or however you want to put it.

Also everyone on the moon is Australian apparently which I enjoy to no end.

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby Alexx » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:48 am

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is finally out! Playin' it now with all it's awesome music and dialogue and smackin' things with hair. Those Wayforward folks know how to put a game together.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby Librari » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:13 pm

I won't have a gaming PC for a while, so I've been playing Minecraft on 360! If anyone's up for helping me make a pasture, I could use an extra set of hands. ;P

I'm also gonna start playing Borderlands 2 on 360, if anyone's interested in that. :3 I just have to find where I packed the game disc...
I'm a wizard! :]
Librari
Wizard LV 80/48
Wizard  LV 80/48

Postby The Lich Tree » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:29 pm

lotta pc minecraft, some evil within (little frustrated at chapter 7 right now), been thinking about some monster hunter 3 ultimate and been thinking about dark souls 1 again.
There would be a pretty good signature here if I was witty enough! Probably.
The Lich Tree
Wizard LV 72/30
Wizard  LV 72/30

Postby Adol The Red » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 pm

Been playing a bit of everything here and there, but not really sticking to anything. Mostly it's because I don't have a lot of time for games right now. Made it a pretty good way through Tales of Xillia, though that's on hold for a while because I need huge chunks of time to play that. What I tried of Watch Dogs and Darks Souls Two so far was fun, and I want to play Shadow of Morder but I really need to stop buying games I can't play right now.

That said, I downloaded Fantasy Life on Sunday and did pretty much nothing else. I still don't have a lot of time for games, but when I do I'll probably be playing that. I've heard it described as Skyrim but adorable, and I'd have to say I agree. Only tried one job at this point, blacksmithing. I like how the system is set up. A lot of games have made things like smithing interesting, but this is the first time it was actually fun. I could see it getting old after a while, and I hope the minigames for the other crafting jobs are a little different for variety's sake, but it either way the game can really suck you in.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Pie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Fantasy Life so far Adol. I've been reading about people getting really into it so it's gotten me curious. I don't have an interest in Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon which Fantasy Life first sounded similar to when it was first announced, but I've read that though it may have similar type of elements, it has a "Je ne sais pas" to it that makes it stand out as being different, and to some, more charming and engaging. I'm thinking maybe like how you can compare Terraria and Minecraft playstyle? -so if you happen to have anything else you want to share about it, I'd be happy to read. =D
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:09 pm

It has elements similar to animal crossing, but so far as I've seen that's only in as much as arranging stuff in your house. As far as crafting goes, you have set recipes for which you have to gather ingredients, and then you perform minigames to actually craft. So far I've only done three lives - jobs, essentially - and only one is a crafting based life. I still found it intriguing, though. As a smith you have a few different types of recipes, like armor, weapons, or tools. You use raw ingredients to form ingots, then combine those with other ingredients to make items. It also includes leather crafting, so you'll need animal components and the like. I think most any ingredient can be bought, and you can make a profit at it even if you never gather a single thing yourself. Also, there are skills you get that can be applied to the minigames to turn them in your favor, and you can learn to mass produce or auto produce items. However, if you do it in auto you miss the chance to make better quality items. And I'm still not even a third of the way through smithing so I haven't even seen all there is. One thing that stood out to me though was how they managed to make higher level items more challenging without simply making it harder. It always bugged me in fable two that when you became a better smith, smithing simply grew more difficult. With Fantasy life you get harder recipes that get easier and faster as you level up the skill and get better tools, so it better simulates learning a skill, a good balance of simple and engaging. I don't know it'll last over time, but I'm not too worried about it.

Otherwise, I've done mining and woodcutting. So far these jobs are simpler, the first gathering ores and stones, while the second gets wood and items like berries. The minigames have you interacting directly with ore deposits or trees, and they both function the same way. The setup is different than smithing, but you still get extra abilities that can help you out. So these two jobs perform similar functions and are set up similarly. I'm certain that smithing and carpentry are set up the same way as well. I still haven't even tried fishing, cooking, alchemy, magic, hunting, or being a paladin or mercenary (and whatever else I'm forgetting), so there is a load of variety.

Also, you gain character levels from crafting. I was level nine before I ever fought a monster. Naturally they suggest you try out every life, and for the purposes of the story and fun that's probably best, but I also think it would be fun to try sticking to one life and see if I could beat the game that way. Another neat thing is that each life comes with a master trainer and a few involved characters. As you raise your skill level, you'll get unique conversations with them. It sort of makes you feel like you're getting to know the people better because you work with them.

This post is getting long, and I could keep going. I like the dungeon designs. They're fairly small, but big enough to set up a nice world, and full of variety. They're crawling with animals and monsters, and not everything is hostile. You can kill strong enemies (or mine strong deposits?) for bounties you can cash in at the guild office. You can have pets, though I haven't tried that yet. And I know you can ride horses and giant tortoises, but I haven't done either of those. The story pretty much lets you go at your own pace, and there are sidequests a plenty. These, though, will require some knowledge of each life to complete.

I have to say, its surprisingly in depth for its simple appearance, and has been a lot of fun. It sucks me in when I do have time to play it. And I still think "Like Skyrim but adorable" is about as apt a description as you can to get. Dungeons and fighting are simpler, but crafting is more in depth. Now Ima go chop down some trees.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Librari » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 pm

That sounds more like heavily modded Skyrim than vanilla!

Also, now I really want a 3DS.

Wait, it has multiplayer? 8< gimme 3DS :D
Librari
Wizard LV 80/48
Wizard  LV 80/48

Postby ThePaul » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Yo, Terrordrome is great. A free fighting game built around most of the greatest Horror Movie icons fighting each other in spooky places. So far Tallman and Pumpkin head are my favorite, but I've only played about 5 of the 14 characters (well, 13 if you don't count the Second Jason Voorhees, even though their move sets are completely different). If you check it out, I don't suggest downloading the final update (2.9.8) unless you are really good at fighting games. Pinhead got his AI "upgraded" to spam chains everywhere and is pretty much impossible to defeat in Story mode (and is the last or second to last person you fight in everyone's Story). Of course, if you just want to play with a friend or use the online (though bring a friend to the online, I'm not sure anyone is playing there), go ahead and patch it up.

/no1
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Librari » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:07 pm

I've gotten hooked on Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. The mechanics are pretty simple and you can't effectively run a specialty shop, but it's fun watching your net worth rise every day, and there's a surprising amount of depth to the strategy of stocking items as the game progresses. I haven't gotten into the dungeon grinding much, seems like it's not even worth it until post-debt content since the drops are pretty worthless compared to the profit potential of a shop full of vending machines stocked with melons selling at 12k each during a surplus when I can buy them for 7k and then I laugh at the little girls who I'm ripping off muahaha!

...Whoops, I had a little evil wizard moment there.
Librari
Wizard LV 80/48
Wizard  LV 80/48

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Paradise