[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Whatcha play'n?
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Whatcha play'n?

Everything related to games~

Re: Whatcha play'n?

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 pm

XCOM is definately on my list. In fact it had to be a decision between that and Dishonored, but in the end I know XCOM isn't the kind of game I usually play, so I went with Dishonored, which I am loving. That isn't a knock against XCOM though. From everything I've seen it looks far too awesome to pass up.

I'm also taking a stab at Infinite Space again. This is my third time starting the game up, and this time it seems like I've found my groove. I'm getting pretty damn good at space battles, and I seem to have the patience for grinding. I really don't like the melee battles though. Completely random. At least in the space battles there are ways to try and determine what the enemy is going to do. If you see them go from yellow to green without attacking you, it means they just hit dodge so you should either wait until they do something or launch a bunch of normal attacks. In melee you just choose an option and hope. I could compare it to the duels in Suikoden games becase the RPS mechanic, but in Suikoden the enemies at least give you some clue as to what they're going to do, and the duels are usually pretty fun. What's hilarious about this game is that you have a typical looking young anime lead character, but so far the best way to get through the game is to choose all the gutsiest, manliest options. Attack! Show no mercy! Seriously this game has gone to some dark places at moments, but that just makes it better. Really enjoying it, especially now that I have a battleship.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby ThePaul » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:49 am

Yeah, I got Dishonored, too, but I haven't made it very far, because I need to kill all those aliens. I'm sure once I get to the point where you get the super powers I'll be playing lots of Dishonored.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Adol The Red » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:00 am

Beat Dishonored twice now, and still have a few more playthroughs I wanna do so I can play through the game with different approaches. Damn good game. Now I play XCOM though, and now I kill the aliens as well. Whew but I would have lost so many troops if I didn't keep reloading. When I get better I'll do a playthrough where I don't do that. Careful as I am I still end up in bad spots. One of the worst was having a guy die because he ran to cover behind a car and triggered a reaction shot that lit the car on fire. Then the aliens got their turn and then the car exploded before I ever got the chance to move him again. To counter that, its quite satisfying when I really need to take out one of those bloody X rays and I have my assault trooper (Daniel "Cat Dan" Cattoni) use the ability that allows him to shoot after dashing, and I run right up and put a shotgun blast right in their face. Now if only you could use the stun gun with that ability. If only.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:44 pm

FORZA HORIZON!
UUUUGGGGNGNGNGNFFFFF!!!

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby Adol The Red » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:13 am

Wow, XCOM sure is a good stressed out commander simulator. I'm doing good at keeping up with missions and getting my troops geared, but I'm behind in satilite coverage. Woefully behind. For one I need more satillite links. Not bad, but first I need more engineers and more power. Okay, excavate, build a lab, build a workshop, build a power generator. Awesome, there goes the budget. Oh, and now I can build a foundry. That sounds important. Hmm, down there I can set up a good steam generator and take care of my power woes. ...more excavation. Finally, a generator. Now I can finally build that uplink. Sadly I had to sell my reserve UFO computers, so I have to settle for a crappy uplink, but at least its under construction. And I have enough carapace armor to go around. And at least one satilite in reserve, and another under construction. Of course, I'm way behind in my research because WANT PLASMA RIFLES!!

While all of this is going on, I find an alien base and mount an assault. I send all my best troops so it goes pretty well, though I couldn't capture the sectoid commander. On top of that, all of my best guys end up in sick bay, two of them for over two weeks. The only one who wasn't injured during the mission was Alexx's soldier character I made. He's a heavy, and scored five kills in the base. That was only his second mission. Exactly one day after that mission, one of my few satilites spots a UFO and I shoot it down. Alexx leads a team of mostly Rookies, including the completely green character based off of me, and manages to capture both a thin man and a sectoid commander in the same mission. Personally. I, on the other hand, got mind controlled, and was saved thanks to some crack shooting, and the gumption of the character I created off of Alexx's dog. Side note, the generic nick name for Rory (the dog) ended up being Wardog. Exactly one day later, one freaking day later, I experience my first terror attack. Once again Alexx leads the way, flanked by three freaking snipers. They save all but one civillian (this is my first game, and I'm not playing Ironman, so I reloaded until they made their damn shots). Whew, awesome. Two days later I get word of abductions. Motherfudknaosdfiakdsfoa!!! Alexx again handles business with Rory, the three snipers, and his wife. She is a great medic, but in 6 missions she has one kill. She, cannot, shoot. Through all of this Alexx remains uninjured. So yeah, his constaint reminders of how awesome he is translates to his character in my freaking game. Now he is a Captain and one of the primare leaders along with Luther, Zaid, and Cat Dan.

And I still don't have that freaking satilite coverage.

That may all sound like complaining, and at times the game is frustrating. As in my assault troop running up and missing an 85%, no cover, three tiles away at most shot. That is frustrating. But the game is also rediculously fun. The war stories it creates are great. In my next game I plan to just go through and let fallen soldiers stay fallen, and see if I can still win. I'm having a blast. There is one thing I find odd, though. Twice now I've had the screen suddenly drop me down into the blue space beneath the level. Stuff is still going on while I'm down there, too. The first time it came back up, but the last time it just stayed down there. 2 floaters blew up while I was down there, even though there were no visible floaters before the screen dropped, and it was still the aliens' turn. Had to shut it off that time. Was just wondering if anyone else had that same problem. And of course looking for any good stories.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby Tony May-San » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:00 am

I watched a friend playing XCOM a few days ago. I like the way they set your base out and that you can see people going about their jobs. the only piece of advice i picked up was stun guns, useful for when people are being mind controlled! its a harsh society..
This tomato tastes like your mom..
Tony May-San
Thief LV 63/45
Thief  LV 63/45

Postby ThePaul » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 pm

My busy and my best troops were always snipers (with squad vision). Mine also had the pistol perks, for those times that floaters jumped the whole map to get her.

I never Oragon Trailed it with my friend's names, though. I liked the names they have you well enough. I did have to change every soldier's appearance all the time, though. Why's everybody gotta look the same?
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Adol The Red » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeah I always take squad vision with snipers. The other perk would be useful if it weren't for the -20 aiming penalty. My lead sniper had a lot of kills in the base infiltration because of squad vision. As far as names go I asked my friends if they wanted to join up and fight the alien menace. Otherwise I named them after a characters from old stories, or just from jokes, like Cat Dan. I wish there was a little more variation in the voices. I like having a number of options, but most of them sound pretty similar.

I just need to get smarter on the ground. I always catch myself just not thinking of things. Stupid stuff, like that I had my sniper pistol equipped for overwatch. Then I take a shot and facepalm because I forgot to equip the sniper rifle. I also need to stop having my soldiers always attack in the order the game gives me. Ah well, I am using this first game to learn. Will definitely need to plan out base construction better next time so I can take advantage of adjacency bonuses.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Postby ThePaul » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah, I got that same problem. Not with my sniper, mind you (she's always so far back, the only thing she could ever get a shot in with is the sniper rifle), but my assaults.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Adol The Red » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:05 pm

I love my plasma sniper rifle equipped sniper with squad vision and double tap. He's making it hard for other guys to level up since he kills everything.

Assassin's Creed III is out now though, so yeah, not playing anything else. Some changes to the interface and I'm still getting used to it, but pretty damn cool. Boston is fun to run around on, and the buildings feel set more to scale than in previous entries. I'm in what looks to be a long prologue, but I like the character.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Paradise