[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Whatcha play'n?
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

Whatcha play'n?

Everything related to games~

Re: Whatcha play'n?

Postby Librari » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:03 am

Oh my gods yes, ZUN totally needs to get Touhou onto Steam. I'd buy every single one of them, sale or not.

Well, right now I'm playing Skyrim (FINALLY). No mods for now, I feel like I need to experience a game vanilla style at least once before I go wild on the modding (I never played Fallout 3 without mods, and then vanilla felt cold and alien as a result). Naturally, I'm a wizard, and I'll be even more of a wizard when I get around to trying out mods. If anyone here has done a lot of Skyrim mod gameplay, lemme know so I can pester you for suggestions later. /no1
I'm a wizard! :]
Librari
Wizard LV 80/48
Wizard  LV 80/48

Postby Kerreth » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:01 am

I've been playing a few short and/or casual things, and I have good things to report:

1. Gone Home is actually pretty fantastic. I had gone through Dear Esther a few weeks ago, and that was just absolutely dull. Even turning off my "games are for funs" lens, I just couldn't think of Dear Esther as anything but a pointless walk through nothing (it's The Chinese Room's premiere pressing W simulator) while the narrator talks about people that I have no idea about, and switches up those names a lot just to make it extra confusing. The story went completely over my head, and there was this annoying desync with what the narrator said and what was actually happening in front of you (For example, there's a part where I walked all the way down a tall cliffside, and the narrator said something to the tune of "and I broke my leg as I reached the bottom," but there's no indication of that. You're still walking at the same speed and only the narration is telling you anything).

So that kinda put me off going through Gone Home, since I heard the games are similar in this whole "virtual interactive experience" thing. But Gone Home just drew me in, from the setting in an old family house, to all the 90's stuff (granted I'm a bit too young to get all of it, the youngest character in the game is about 18 in 1995, I was 6), to all of the things I was finding out about the family, to (arguably) the main subject matter of the game (which I don't want to spoil here, but I'm pretty sure that's been spoiled all over the internet by now). The game made me want to find out as much as I could about the family and what happened and where they were, and I just couldn't stop until I was done (in 2 and a half hours). It got me thinking a lot about my own life as it brought up a bunch of subjects I kinda like talking about, and it brought just a few tears to my eyes. I didn't actually find everything (there's a major plot point buried somewhere about the father and great uncle characters, which was still spoilertagged in every thread I looked at, and I can't believe I couldn't find the one thing that would reveal all the things about that), but it was worth it just for the main story. $20 might be a bit much, but if it goes on sale again anywhere, I'd say give it a whirl.

2. Cook, Serve, Delicious! is pretty fun. I quite liked those fast paced "do all these tasks before people get mad" games like Diner Dash, and Cook Serve Delicious is great at doing that. If you're not in the know, CSD has you play the role of apparently the only employee in a new restaurant, and you have to manage the menu and actually cooking, serving, and cleaning. When you're cooking, everyone orders their own personalized special order, which can be as simple as a corn dog with nothing on it, to as complex as a burger with double meat, double cheese, tomatoes, bacon, and pickles, and you have to serve everyone as fast as possible to rake in all that moolah. So it gets pretty stressful, especially during the rush hours where they throw everyone at you. It also has a

3. Just got through the first episode of The Wolf Among Us and it's really interesting, and that's coming from someone who knows nothing about the Fables series. Similarities to The Walking Dead are there, since it uses pretty much the same conversation/QTE system, but the theme is way different, focusing instead on a noir murder mystery rather than survival after an apocalypse, and it's very intriguing. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

4. I bought Shelter. I haven't played it yet, but I did launch it to make sure the settings were right and the game was working, and I saw that I'm not even colorblind and I can barely read it!
Kerreth
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Librari » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:04 am

Well, add Atelier to the list of game series I have just GOT to get ahold of somehow. I've been seeing a lot of fanart recently, and the whole lighthearted thing is more in line with my recent interests. Plus, alchemy!

I've been taking a Skyrim break and playing Rune Factory Frontier again. Again, very lighthearted gameplay as the Rune Factory series is a spinoff of Harvest Moon. As always, it's difficult to choose .
I'm a wizard! :]
Librari
Wizard LV 80/48
Wizard  LV 80/48

Postby Kerreth » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:12 am

I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth! (Yet!) I have more finished games!

1. Rayman Legends. While it was pretty good, I kinda find myself liking Origins better. Not that Legends was bad, mind you, but I think the level design in Origins was stronger. It also doesn't help that about a fourth or a third of the game is just remastered levels from Origins, and you need to do at least some of them to unlock the final painting. Also, in the conversion from a Wii U exclusive to multiplatform, the Murfy levels, which relied pretty well on the Wii U's touchscreen (from the demo of that I played), lost a bit of itself and ranged from tedious extra button presses to weird extra button holding on the PC version. That all said, the levels are still pretty solid, and the musical levels are absolutely fantastic. It's still solid, but I think I was "wow'd" more back with Origins.

2. Remember Me. Now, I know I heard mixed reviews about this one, and while the game isn't stellar, I found it a pretty enjoyable game with a story, setting, and protagonist I really liked, though that story was riddled with "why am I doing this... oh because it ties in to the game mechanics and that's really it" moments (for example, there is no reason for the final boss fight to exist other than for having a final boss fight). The combo lab system is pretty neat, and it ties together the rest of the mechanics of nonregenerating health and big cooldown skills pretty well, though the combat is in desperate need of a lockon system. The memory remixes are by far the game's most interesting parts, both in playthrough and in "holy shit, what did I just do why didn't I stop (oh right, video game)" guilt afterward, it just kinda sucks that it's hardly used. One of my favorite things about is was the questions I had to ask myself about agency, particularly Nilin's, since agency is probably the biggest most important factor in writing good characters. I enjoyed it, and I believe it's one of this month's free PS+ games, so I'd say at least give it a try if you can.

3. The Walking Dead: Season 2: Episode 1. FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. Not because it's bad, it's actually pretty good so far, but only because I WANTED TO FLIP A MOTHERFUCKING TABLE 10 MINUTES IN, AND THAT WASN'T EVEN THE WORST PART. Take note, if you're squeamish, there are at least 2 scenes where even Telltale's special visual aesthetic will still make you want to throw up.

I've also been playing a lot more Final Fantasy 14, but I'll save that for when I can really write a lot, since the late leveling game, the level 50 game, and the 2.1 patch all have a lot that can be said for them.
Kerreth
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby ThePaul » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:30 pm

Got X-COM Enemy Within and Starbound recently. Fun stuff. Also, X-COM is frustrating more than my first full play through, but I got a cold and can less deal with it's difficulty.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby RollCasket » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:48 am

Bravely Default! I'm pretty happy for portable releases these days cause they're much easier for me to have time here and there to play. I can play a bit at one of my jobs also so that's always a plus.

My friend code (again) is 2836-0094-8855 though I just barely started. I know I added Wilbur's though you didn't add back =P I need more peons...I mean help for my village!
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Greatly enjoying Bravely Default so far. Glad to see the return of the Mystic Knight job class under the name of Spell Fencer, and I like the tweaks they added to make grinding far less time consuming. Friend Code 1306 - 5528 - 0032.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Kerreth » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:14 am

Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 2 is suuuuuuuuper tense the entire time (and the big reveal twist in the middle that they teased at the end of Ep 1 is BULLSHIT NOT POSSIBLE WHY actually that's okay and awwwww), and Guacamelee is fantastic so far.
Kerreth
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:31 am

I agree with kerreth on the twist in the walking dead. I played it with my girlfriend and we were both like "HOW!? WHAT!?"
Still enjoyed it though.

Apart from that I'm basically only playing Dota 2 during my time off work

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby The Lich Tree » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:11 am

not a damn thing but i will be playing the living hell out of my playstation after the midnight release of dark souls 2 tonight. was playing some monster hunter 3 ultimate on the wii u. i just wish chrono trigger was on the wii u eshop. :c
There would be a pretty good signature here if I was witty enough! Probably.
The Lich Tree
Wizard LV 72/30
Wizard  LV 72/30

PreviousNext

Return to Gamer's Paradise