Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Gamer's Paradise

The Secret World

Everything related to games~

The Secret World

Postby ThePaul » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Ok, so I've been pretty hyped about this game since I first heard about it, but lost a lot of interest after a couple hours of Beta. Still, I descided to pick it up again last weekend (because I had preordered it after all), and I'm sitting here wondering what turned me off to it during that beta. I mean it is no Guild Wars 2, but I'm defiantly in love with this game.

The modern setting and the monsters and urban legends help the game stand out from all the Azeroths out there, but isn't really the main sticking point for me (but it is pretty sweet). Also, combat isn't too different from other MMO's, and despite the classless style of the game, people are sticking heavily to the Healer/tank/dps dynamic. Nope, the main draw for me in this game are the characters that inhabit it. I just love clicking on all the dialog boxes to listen to what the people have to say about the crazy shit that's going down outside their front door. I guess the closest thing I can compare it to is Vampires: The Mascarade: Bloodlines, but I don't think anyone here played that either. Also fun, if a little frustrating, are investigation missions, where the main focus isn't so much about killing things, but more discovering hiden secrets. Follows clues hiden around the map and even sometimes using the ingame browser to figure out the meaning. One example of this (that everyone uses, so I'm no spoiling anything you're not going to find if you look up anything about this game) is a mission where you rechieve information in Morse Code. You then have to actually look up morse code on the Internet to figure it out (or just look up the answer on a Wiki somewhere). While I can't claim to have finished a single one of these missions on my own, I still am enjoying them.

Yup. Fun game to play if you can handle more than one MMO (cause GW2 is totally coming out soon, y'all)
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Re: The Secret World

Postby Ninja_moofin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm with you Paul, all the things in the game remind me of a older MMO though. The setting and mood it puts out are awesome and the quests that you have to solve puzzles and such are amazing as well. but for me to much of it is the same ol same ol, same quests, animations in it just didn't catch my interest personally but that is just me. I actually REALLY liked the fact that a large part of the game is build off of myths and legends though. but just didn't seem to have enough to really pull me in.

I remember Vampires: The Mascarade: Bloodlines! that was a fantastic game when it came out! /no1
Ninja_moofin
Swordman LV 52/40
Swordman  LV 52/40

Postby Bear » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:40 pm

You know, I started to see this game around only recently, and I have to admit that the idea of no levels and classes, along with the modern myth setting is really interesting to me. I also really love the idea of having a a skill buffet and just creating my character the way I want.

I would like to check it out, but I guess there is no demo out yet for people to check out, which is quite a shame. The real killer though, and it actually amazes me that they think this is a good idea, is paying full retail price for the client and a $15/month sub rate on top of that. With high quality games like GW2 going no sub and PSO2 shaping out to be pretty nice at no sub or purchase, I think competitors in the MMO space are really going to have to re-think their business models. Sure, WoW gets away with that, but that's WoW. I mean, look at the mess that EA and Bioware are in with SWTOR, and there was a hell of a lot of hype for that game.

Anyways, I love the idea that I could actually be invested in more than one MMO at a time because I would no longer have to worry about time ticking down on active subs (thus making me want to get my moneys worth, as much as possible). I'm pretty certain I will be playing PSO2 once it's localized, since what little I've played of the Japanese version, and what Luc has told me, sound pretty solid.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Ninja_moofin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:54 pm

I'll be honest never played PSO always wanted to try it and never really did, you all seem to enjoy it though so maybe i'll give it a shot one of these days.
Ninja_moofin
Swordman LV 52/40
Swordman  LV 52/40

Postby ThePaul » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Yeah, subs suck. But one night of too much drinking, a stable job where you aren't going to miss the money, and an unwillingness to try to cancel your mistake the next day make a life time subscription happen...

.... oh God, what have I done?!? /sob
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby ThePaul » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:48 pm

It appears that in celebration of hit the one month mark you can sign up and play for free this weekend. So if anyone was curious, you know what you have to do.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby ThePaul » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Ok, now you can sign up for a 3-day trail (that can be extended to 5-day trail if you complete 30 missions during the first 3 days, plus in game cash shop fun money). So now everyone can try it out whenever the heck they feel like it, and I don't have to come into this thread again, unless someone wants to talk about the game with me.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Return to Gamer's Paradise