[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Gurren Lagann, most epic anything ever.
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

Gurren Lagann, most epic anything ever.

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Gurren Lagann, most epic anything ever.

Postby RollCasket » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 am

I thought I had made a thread on Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but apparently I didn't o.O

Firstly, I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who has seen this anime. It's 27 eps long and a 2 part movie. The movies are more of a retelling of the series with a few small differences and an even more epic final fight. Saying it's "the most epic thing ever" is I'd say more fact than opinion by pretty much everyone who has seen it.

It's an over the top (understatement) mech anime by Gainax with awesome characters. It came out a lil while ago and has been dubed and subed (movies sub only) and was on Netflix live stream also (maybe still?) and I can't recommend it more if you haven't seen it. Haven't talked to a single person that didn't like it, and I pretty regularly go back to watch certain episodes and scenes.

You're welcome in advance =P
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Re: Gurren Lagann, most epic anything ever.

Postby Bear » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:13 am

Pie and I have been long time fans of Gurren Lagann, it is indeed one of the most influential anime in existence.

Everything about it is absolutely amazing, save for episode 4 which has uncharacteristically bad animation for the series, but that has its own controversy behind it. That really doesn't matter though because everything else is so god damn fantastic that it is mandatory viewing for anyone interested in any form of entertainment. Period.

What makes GL so amazing is that it just excels at everything its doing. Animation, sound, timing, characters, choreography, story, color, charisma, passion, attitude...the list goes on and on and on. It's not just an anime, its a way of life and living. It reaches out to its audience and screams at them to do better, to take on impossible challenges and make it happen. I would sit back and think, how can they possibly have made something SO GOOD?! And I feel like the creators are reaching out to future generations and peers and saying "we made this...how will you top us?".

Anyways... just like you Roll, Pie and I have watched this series more than once and go back and watch certain scenes for inspiration. I pray that they will release a Blu-ray set of the whole series...I really want it in high def.

Also, there are two wall scrolls in our office - both right above our desk for inspiration. The one above my side of the desk is Gurren Lagann and the one above Pie's side is One Piece. Kamina is pointing upward and Luffy is pointing forward, and we take that inspiration to heart in our own endeavors to keep climbing higher and going forward. To say anime (and manga) has had a significant, positive influence on both of our lives would be an understatement of rather large proportions.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:03 am

Oh good, I was hoping it wasn't just me, lol. Did you guys watch the movies also? First one has almost nothing new, but there are pretty significant albeit small changes to the second.

But yeah...ep 4 was done by a different crew. It wasn't ALL bad though as they sucked at animating people but were good at mecha and their combine animation was used in several episodes.

I'm pretty sure though that there isn't anything else that can pump me up like some Gurren Lagann.
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby RollCasket » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 am

Oh yeah, wall scrolls...I only have one up, of Haruhi and crew, but I have a TON of scrolls and posters but nowhere to put them currently till I get a place of my own >.> that may not be too far in the future though at least...

Sorry totally off topic =P
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 am

I remember seeing the first movie, but I'm not quite sure I've seen the second. It was nice, but I felt that there was more heart and "oomf" in the series, so I've only ever went back and re-watched the series for inspiration/motivation/entertainment.

On more than one occasion, if I feel lacking in energy and I have to get pumped up, I listen to this GL track:
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhh D= Ok so, when I first heard movies were coming out I had seen the first one and was like "oh...it's just the series abridged" and so never watched the 2nd movie, but then I found out what they had added and HAD to watch it. Trying not to spoil anything, but it's worth watching, even though overall I like the series better. The small changes even include some NEW MECHS and an EVEN BIGGER MECH and the last battle is EVEN MORE CRAZY. I think you'd know if you had seen it just off those alone. I'll spoil one small thing, Lordgenome is made more bad ass by materializing Lazengann with his will instead of it coming out of Tengen Toppa.

Also yeah, that's a great song, but I like a lot of the music in GL. They also make a slightly altered version of the opening song for the movie last battle.
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby RollCasket » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Wasn't sure if I should link it cause it has a slideshow of images that are spoiler-ish, but I figured I should link the song anyway, you can just open it up in a tab and then close it when the song it done without watching it =P Also worth hearing cause even if you watch the movie this is the full version of the song, good stuff.

Seriously though, as big fans of Gurren Lagann you totally owe it to yourselves to watch that second movie, I can't even oversell it. If it helps there is also some brief Yoko and Nia boobage? Plus I TOTALLY want to talk about it without saying super vague things, lol.

Anyway, here's the song, remember to without watching D=
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Return to Other Shiny Things