[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Meditations on the Martial Arts
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

Meditations on the Martial Arts

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Meditations on the Martial Arts

Postby XelaReko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:57 am

After seeing the interest in martial arts that took place in my introduction thread, I thought I would make one here. This is not only for practitioners, but also for those who are just generally interested in them.

Ok, I will get right into it then. I practice Wing Chun (please don't sing the song) and Zui Quan mostly with some basic training in American Kenpo.

I train 6 days a week for about 1-2 hours depending on my schedule. I find it extremely relaxing and the fact that it helps me stay fit is a lovely bonus as well. I usually spar with my brother who practices American Kenpo and traditional Taekwondo. I started some weapon training a few years ago but my teacher moved away and sadly, I have not found another whose ideas line up with mine.

How about you guys? Do you have any questions about martial arts or want to share stories or perhaps you just want to discuss the differences between various martial arts.

(NOTE: Don't come in here saying "THIS ONE IS THE BEST! IT CAN BEAT ALL OTHERS!" we will laugh you out of the thread)
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Re: Meditations on the Martial Arts

Postby Tehwilburforce » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Like I said before, I really have an appreciation for Capoeira, not only because it is also a dance, but also because of how fluidly each move blends into the next. The fact that a capoeira student can look so elegant and still be able to change their movement on a dime is just so awesome to me. I also like that there is room for improv, as well, if you find yourself in some trouble.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Pie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:34 pm

It must be extremely fun to be at a level of a martial arts where you can spar people and have it be like a game where you adjust your strategies and moves depending on your opponent's and to always try getting the upper-hand. XD I've always wanted to be at that level since small. -and to have the physique, flexibility, stamina, and cardiovascular system to be graceful or do acrobatics. =D

Do you have any knowledge of jeet kune do? I've always been kinda curious about it since seeing the movie Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (starring Jason Scott Lee). Great movie by the way. XD
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby XelaReko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:07 am

I LOVE Jeet Kune Do, but I have not been trained in it, nor do I know any who has. I would be hesitant to call if a full-fledged martial art as most people view it as a philosophy that compliments the actual martial art, but in reality, that can be said of lots of martial arts as most flirt with the philosophy/martial art line.

Jeet Kune Do is all about efficiency in everything. Basically, it is how to get the most out of whatever you are doing, but it is also applied to so much more than martial arts. The idea is extremely attractive to me and I would love to learn more about it.

The on this is actually really good and has a ton of detail on some of the principles and ideas behind Jeet Kune Do.

From what I have seen, it takes a lot of Wing Chun ideas and expounds upon them while taking theories and ideas from other martial arts and doing the same. It is kind of cool how you can identify different ideas being used from all the different martial arts that Bruce Lee learned and used.
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Return to Other Shiny Things