[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Graphic Novels, Comics, and Books
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

Graphic Novels, Comics, and Books

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Re: Graphic Novels, Comics, and Books

Postby Farore » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 pm

This puts me in a tough spot.... keep my arm or get snow cones.......hm.....
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby chrisb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:05 am

chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby chrisb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 am

Forgot to add that the theme of family in the TV series is probably the best part. Very touching. The dub is one of the best ever made.

I also wanted to list some of my favorite novels:

Fahrenheit 451 - Amazing and frightening story about censorship. Firefighters actually set flame to "dangerous" books and one of the firefighters starts to question his job and his society.

Ethan Frome - Classic literature. Depressing love story between a man and his sister in law in the snowy 1800s New England. I'm not much of a romance fan, but the writing is really sensual and dark. More of a gothic romance I guess.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - One of the best horror stories ever written! I love horror when it is both emotional and freaky.

Edgar Allen Poe's short stories - I guess I have a thing for classic creepy gothic lit.

The Giver - A children's book, but an excellent story. A boy who's chosen by his society to be "given" the emotions that are no longer experienced. He begins to question the Utopian society he lives in after he realizes that life isn't the same without pain and pleasure. Some very dark themes for preteen readers.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Farore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:30 am

Fahrenheit 451 and The Giver are such great books. I believe I first read each of them in middle/high school but I've gone back and reread both since then, and they are still very deep books. They are both relatively quick reads so I suggest if you haven't read them you should! They both make you really consider the world around you.

Another young adult author I have always enjoyed is Laurie Halse Anderson. I actually have a signed copy of Speak which I've read multiple time, and listened to the book on tape! It is about a girl who goes through a traumatic event that brings the cops to an end of summer party, but she is unable to tell anyone what happened. The book focuses on her freshman year of high school and how the summer incident affected everything.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Bear » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby chrisb » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Oops /swt2

All the reviews for the show are revealing the same info so I wasn't being cautious. Hope I didn't spoil it for anyone!
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Adol The Red » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

My favorite author, and the one who got me interseted in writing, is Michael Crichton. You've probably seen one of the movie versions of his books (most of them were made into movies). He comes off as an expert on whatever the book happens to be about, and actually did complete medical school so in the case of his novel "A Case of Need" he actually is an expert. I would suggest any of his books, with special mention for Prey, Sphere, Jurassic Park, and Rising Sun.

I mention him, though, for one of his nonfictions, a book called "Travels." It details his love of travelling, telling of places he's been and acting as a sort of autobiography. The book goes beyond just talking about roaming the world, though. He is incredibly honest in this book, which is really about his travels through life in general. Toward the end, his travels become more metaphysical, which is something I did not expect. Through reading him I've always found him to be very scientificly minded, so it was surprising to see him talking about going to psychics and visiting a guru and things of that nature. Of course he was very scientific in his approach to it all, but also very open minded. I really learned a lot by reading this book, and I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you're having a hard time understanding life and deciding where you want to go with it.

On a different note, I must also recomend John Ajvide Lindqvist's "Let the Right one In." I loved this book from start to finish. Also, if you're an aspiring writer, you'll be quite envious of his ability to cut the fat out of his writing and get to the point. It is very well done and certainly not your typical vampire story. He has a few more out, but I still have yet to get to them.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Farore » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:05 pm

The Read or Die OVA was awesome! We started watching it last night and finished up this morning. I loved the multiple times where the only thing she cared about was getting her book back. I now need to hunt down a copy of the TV series to watch that as well.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:02 pm

I approve so highly of distopian societies in books. In addition to Farenheit 451 and The Giver, both of which I've read, I'd like to throw 1984 by George Orwell into the fray for discussion. Pretty awesome and quite discomforting. The concept of Big Brother made me a bit nervous (Imagine, then, the reaction of my dad, who read it well before the year 1984. lol.) The fact that the government controls every possible thing and watches every tiny detail of everything you could ever do is astounding. The scene where the protagonist is caught by the secret police is particularly good (Don't get me started on the ending). Having read Animal Farm and 1984, I have to say Orwell is up there on my list of favorite writers. Other favorites of mine include Catcher in the Rye, The Hobbit (haven't read the trilogy, please don't kill me), Life of Pi, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby chrisb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:10 pm

^ I loved Animal Farm, but could never get into Catcher in the Rye. Throughout the whole book I couldn't help but hate the main character.

The last novel I read was Tarantula. It was adapted into the new movie The Skin I Live In with Antonio Banderas. It's depraved and very entertaining. It has a certain neo-noir feel to it and although it is twisted it never feels too exploitative.

I really want to give Perks of a Being Wallflower a try. Has anyone read it?
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shiny Things