[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Graphic Novels, Comics, and Books
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

Graphic Novels, Comics, and Books

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Re: Graphic Novels, Comics, and Books

Postby Farore » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 pm

I have read The Perks of Being A Wallflower, but it was... oh my, years ago in high school. I honestly can't remember many details about it, but I do remember that it was a very good read. I do remember it has a distinct style; the story is conveyed through letters written by the protagonist to an anonymous recipient.

An Wilbur, that's too funny. I have also read The Hobbit but not the trilogy. I tried multiple time actually, but they just seems so much more drawn out than.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Haha. Thanks Farore. That makes me feel a little more secure in my limited wisdom of Middle Earth. I haven't even tried reading the trilogy, though. I'd like to someday if I have the time. Definitely before I finish college.

The only other fantasy book I read and liked (sort of) was Harry Potter. I had it from an early age, but I just didn't grow up with it like others did. I'm raring to read a lot more fantasy stuff this summer. I got both of Lewis Carroll's Wonderland stories in one book and I can't wait to read that once school starts winding down.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Farore » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Ooo Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass you say? One of my most prized books happens to be just that. When visiting my grandma's house one time I went through some of my mom's stuff with here and persuaded her to give me this:

It's old enough that the only information it has is Author, Illustrator, and Publishing Company. No ISBN, no date, heck, it doesn't even say it's copyrighted!

It smells amazing, which I learned is because old books were somehow made with some amount of vanilla.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:13 pm

That is amazing!!! I think my grandma might have some Oz books that are old as that one. I know she has a shelf full of really old books that are great to read when we visit.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Adol The Red » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Farore » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Aha! I'm not crazy, they do smell good!
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby TheNesta » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:38 am

I'm churning through as many Fantasy novels I can nowadays. I never used to read that much, but I bought a Kindle last year and I cannot stop reading. In fact, one of my favorite moments in the day is laying down to go to sleep, and losing myself in these novels.

A few series of note...

A Song of Ice and Fire

I'm sure everyone knows about this by now, seeing as how popular it's become with the Game of Thrones HBO series. This is my passion right here, there's not many things I love more than ASoIaF. Above, I mentioned that I didn't really read that much, the exception is this series. I own all the massive hardbound books in the series and have recently started to repurchase them on Kindle. Hell, I bought the latest book A Dance With Dragons on Kindle, and the actual physical copy at the same time. Haven't touched the actual book though.

If you aren't aware, it's a gritty low fantasy story, it does have some magic elements in it, but they're down played a bit. It has a huge focus on politics, which, I dunno about you guys, but politics bore the shit outta me in real life, but in fantasy I find it very compelling. A lot of crazy stuff happens in the books, and some of the chapters are infamous at this point for catching you totally off-guard.

I highly recommend the HBO series as well, as it is pretty true to the books (so far), and has some amazing acting in it. But if you get started on that, and don't want to wait several years to get caught up on the story, then you should dive into the books.

The Kingkiller Chronicle

Another fantasy series, this one deals more with magic, but it has some really cool explanations to most magics, making it almost scientific. The main character Kvothe is amazing, and you basically follow his life story. The character arc he goes through is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and by the end of the second book I had some very passionate feelings and expectations for the character. This series isn't nearly as gritty as ASoIaF is, but it's still pretty centered in adult literature. This is probably my second favorite book series.

Ready Player One

This is actually more Sci-Fi than fantasy. It's a standalone book that tells the story of the not too distant future. Where the world has gone to shit, and most people spend their time plugged into a virtual world. If it sounds a bit like Snow Crash, it is I guess, though I only just started reading Snow Crash, so forgive me. The hook here though is that a billionaire has left behind his entire fortune to anyone that can solve his "game", and the key to that is by being very well versed in 80's culture. Yeah, it's pretty neat. It's not the greatest book around, but I really enjoyed all the references in the book, and it was just a lot of fun to read.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Bear » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 am

I forgot to mention I'm really happy you like the OVA to Read or Die Farore! I'm hoping you are able to track down the TV series and that you will enjoy it =)
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Farore » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 am

It's definitely second on my list of things to get. Since I enjoy and would like to continue having use of my arm though the Zelda Graphic Novels are first!

I reallllllly want to get a Kindle, but I'm afraid I'll miss having a tangible book to smell. And, with the ability to buy and instantly download said books I'd spend way too much on books >.<
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Adol The Red » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:32 pm

My friend got a Kindle. Really neat. When I first saw it I thought it had a sticker on it or something, but that was just the screen. Whatever technology they used to make that paper like screen, it's awesome. Seems like there would be so much less eye strain with that than a regular computer screen. Still haven't bought one myself though.

What's neat, though, is that you can buy covers for them that sort of look like books. Or maybe like a folder. Anyway, you can customize the covers. The label on my friend's says that it is her Magic Book. Kind of makes sense. Buy yeah, downloading would be way too easy. I have that proplem with XBLA and PSN games. I can just keep buying them and buying them. Can't afford to do that with one media type, much less two.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shiny Things