[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - The Favorite Anime Thread
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

The Favorite Anime Thread

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Re: The Favorite Anime Thread

Postby Tehwilburforce » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 pm

I've seen a bit of Lupin, Crispy, and it was pretty cool. Might wanna follow the entire series. Also, can anyone recommend a Miyazaki movie to watch? I might want to start looking soon. Alright. Here's my list for you guys.

Kino's Journey: I loved, not only the aesthetic of this show, but also the message that each episode had to give and the overall theme of how the world is beautiful because of our various human flaws and mutual differences. I loved that. The story of how Kino came into possession of her motorcycle was a bit sad, too. Amazing art and story with just the right characterization for Kino.

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad: This show gave me a huge appreciation for some friends whom I grew up with who were in their own band. The underground sort of culture of garage bands was an interesting topic to cover for anime. I think it really worked, though. Sure there were some cheesy moments and the writing wasn't always the best, but it was a show about growing up, too, so I won't get on its case that much. Some of the songs from the band in the show were actually ok. Nothing I'd put on my iPod, though. I think even the romance (between the main character and his love interest, the lead guitarist's sister) is handled pretty well. They made a pretty cute couple.

FLCL: This show is so out of its mind, that I'm surprised that it was released for human consumption. However, beneath all the craziness is a pretty cool story about some weird chick from space who wants to find her boyfriend (by manipulating a ten year old kid, of course). Though it is short, it is sweet. The different animation experiments pay off, and you get some good WTF moments.

Spirited Away: (aka the only Miyazaki film I've ever seen) Yeah, I know. I should watch more Miyazaki. However, what I saw of this film is so beautiful, that I want to buy each of his movies and take a look at each. To be honest, I'd probably watch the movie if it was muted the entire time. It's that pretty. The trademark Miyazaki style is prevalent throughout and it never fails to deliver. The only thing I have a complaint about is that, for such a nice Alice in Wonderland sort of story like this, you don't get to see much of the rest of the world that the protagonist is transported to apart from the witch's bathhouse. Aside from that, I loved the movie. Some nice fantasy weirdness mixed with familiar real-world places and things make for an interesting feel that only Miyazaki can provide.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby chrisb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki movie. Really draws you in to the fanciful world.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Tehwilburforce » Sun May 27, 2012 12:36 am

SO!!! who saw Toonami tonight???

I didn't catch Bleach because I'm not into it. I've watched it a bit, but what I've seen doesn't really draw me in. I did watch both of the new shows, though my mom interrupted me during Deadman Wonderland. Deadman was kinda weird to me, but I'll watch the next one next week. Casshern was a bit weird too, but the grit and bleak landscape on display kind of drew me in. I wanna keep watching to see where it goes. As always, FMA, GitS and Bebop were there to round everything out. Need to familiarize myself with Brotherhood since I only watched the original FMA anime. Hadn't watched all of the 2nd season of GitS, so I was fortunate the episode on was mostly filler. Bebop, though. I gotta say, it kicked ass to see it on a nice big screen like the one I watched it on. :3 Perfection.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Soeroah » Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 am

My list, keeping in mind I haven't watched many:

Accel World
Fate Stay/Night
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Code Geass
Death Note season 1
Acchi Kochi

Favourites as a kid:
DBZ
Pokemon
Yu-gi-oh

Accel World is quite new (up to it's 8th episode) but damn do I love that show. It's quite possibly become one of my favourites (by the fourth episode no less) for no identifiable reason. It just clicked with me.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby chrisb » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:47 am

New Sailor Moon anime coming out in 2013...

Excuse me while my head explodes. I have never experienced this amount of awesomeness before.
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Tehwilburforce » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm

I saw on Twitter!!! I watched a bit of Sailor Moon in my childhood, so I'll give it a look. (Just as long as they still have Sailor Jupiter :3)

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby Bear » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 am

Wow, that is really surprising news! Sailor Moon was one of the first series that started getting me into anime, so it will be interesting what a more modern take on the series will be.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby ThePaul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:41 am

Am I the only one that had a TV remote back in the day, and could switch channels when the girl shows came on? /hmm
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby chrisb » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:18 am

You may have been the only boy that wasn't a total perv and was excited to see the hot sailor girls every afternoon after school /meh2
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Soeroah » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:28 am

Just watched Steins;Gate a few days back, now it's one of my favourite animes of all time. Short at 24 episodes (25 if you count the very last one made a year after the rest of the series) but so gloriously complicated with its premise. I LOVE that.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shiny Things