[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - The Favorite Anime Thread
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

The Favorite Anime Thread

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Re: The Favorite Anime Thread

Postby ThePaul » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:13 am

Alrighty, here's my favorites. These are totally just my super favorites. Ones I own on DVD and can spend a weekend watching non-stop (with only one exception) and think everyone should watch. No order here, but I will keep the movies and shows separate.

Ergo Proxy: I don't know what it is about this anime about the lead singer of Evanecence's life, but I just really enjoy it. Perhaps it's just because of Pino and heard rabbit footie Pajamas that she wears for most of the show, but after the second time watching it, I think there's more to it than that. Perhaps it's the part where it becomes a travel anime after the first act, because I tend to enjoy those.

Gurran Lagann: I don't think there's anymore I can add that hasn't been said. Also, most of you have seen it anyway. If you haven't, then correct yourself. Please.

Monster: Although I don't think I could watch the whole thing a second time (it's like 72 episodes), I do love this show. Just all the horrible things our hero comes across in the wake of the antagonist is like oh snap. The closest thing I can compare it to is if Dexter was chasing the Trinity killer for all 6(?) seasons of The show.

Kino's Journey: Again, you all have seen or know that you need to see this. Do eet.

Movies-
Paprika: The Japanesse did Inseption first, an their's is better.

Tokyo Godfathers: Probably the best Christmas movie (besides Die Hard) ever made. Great story, laughs, serious bits, and even a little action.

Tekkonkinkreet: Sort of a weird duck of an movie. Sort of Shin Chan-esque characters, but the world around them is amazingly detailed and freakin sweet. The story is also pretty sweet, if a bit insane. Also, the theme music that plays throughout is something that always gets me pumped, no mater how many times I watch it.

Edited for Spelling and Grammar by Ghosts
Last edited by ThePaul on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby RollCasket » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:45 am

Ugh...with a side of UGH...

I just mentioned this to Farore but I found out that Katanagatari did end up coming out here, but it's sub only, and even worse cause it's "Chinese bootleg" quality subs. The did it in 2 volumes and force you to get this big premium edition thing for each raising the cost a good bit.

I really wanted to watch that last episode again...so much awesome it's crazy. Wonder if my old roommate still has it on his comp or not...>.>

As I had said I didn't include anything Farore had on her list but as a quick note to Gurren Lagann...BEAR WATCH THE SECOND MOVIE ALREADY OMG!

If anyone hasn't watched the 2 movies you really should. It's basically the whole series condensed, BUT in the 2nd movie is when there are some differences including an even more over the top last battle. You can't say you've watched Gurren Lagann till you've seen it =P
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Alexx » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Bah! Such a hard question. Heck, any "favorites" question is always tough. As the opening thread states: I'd like to leave it to just the REAL favorites. Top of the class, you know? It's just hard to separate the ones I've loved in the past because they were new and interesting and the ones that REALLY stand out. In any case, here goes...in no particulat order ('cause that just makes it harder):

- Gurren Lagann: It's been mentioned many times already and for good reason! It covers so many bases. What I love about it is the growth of the characters, and the never-give-up attitude. As a person who often falls into bouts of ugh-this-is-pointless, it's refreshing to see a show where the characters never give up, but aren't granted success just because of that alone. Of course, it has that feeling that gets me charged up, but ends up fading away the morning after. If I could just figure out how to get REAL inspiration from this! It fills you up while watching, but then it fades so quickly. Either way, it's not just that feeling - it's the whole package. My favorite part is the multiple timeframes and watching a society build up from a rebellion to a community, to a city, to more rebellions, and finally to what we all fear: the time when there are simply TOO MANY of us! Overall I think it's a great look at humanity on a smaller scale.

- The Slayers: I've watched Slayers through Slayers Try time and again and I never get tired of them. The comedy is simply fantastic and the action is over-the-top and fun. The enemies are EVIL, and the good guys are...not bad! It was one of the earlier shows I watched but it still remains a favorite, unlike some other early shows that have not stood up to anything but my nostalgia for them. I have yet to watch the two new seasons, but I'm looking forward to them.

- Cowboy Bebop: Music, characters, writing, voice acting *sigh* I love it all. It's a great collection of connected and disconnected episodes. Slice of life in many different places whether it be space or some random planet. The FEEL of this show is what draws me in the most. That, and Spike is the ultimate lazy badass. I always seem to idolize the ones that focus mostly on relaxing but are able to jump up and kick butt when necessary.

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Laputa: Castle in the Sky: I'm lumping those together because I love them for similar reasons: wide open landscapes, mysterious backgrounds, and super-powered nostalgia. I actually watched Warriors of the Wind first (in terms of Nausicaa) so I have a small fondness for some original lines from that, but overall they cut out very important parts and I have to enjoy the new uncut versions better. When I saw these two movies I knew they were DIRECTLY up my alley. From the days of He-Man toys and flipping through the mini-comics they came with I grew a very fond love for the open landscapes with mysterious technology or ruins scattered about. These movies have them in spades, but it's also the characters, the music, the beautiful animation, and the style. As much as I love these movies, though, they will always have an almost depressing power over me, for that longing for mysterious things will never be a reality in my life. C'est la vie.

- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: I've seen the movies, but they never hit me as hard as the show. I love every little bit of it! Much of it focuses on humans and what it means to be one - perhaps what it means to be conscience. 'Course there's also military action, badass characters, and it totally quenches my thirst for cybernetics, robotics, and all that techno-jazz. I LOVE that kinda stuff. Overall it is probably one of the most complete packages for me: psychology, sociology, and technology all in one place!

- Kino's Journey: Did I mention I like traveling mysterious landscapes? Yeaaahhh....Kino's Journey. Completely awesome for those stand-alone shows that tell a story each episode. Great show.

There are still a bunch I care for dearly, but these ones are off the top of my head. If they're the first to mind, then they gotta be my top favorites.
Last edited by Alexx on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:19 pm

It's Nausicaa!

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby Adol The Red » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby TheNesta » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 am

As if I didn't write enough already this morning! Here's some Anime I really like.

1. Cowboy Bebop
I was first introduced to Anime like many people, with Dragonball and Sailor Moon. And while I do have an affinity for both of those series, I think Cowboy Bebop was the first time shit got real. To this day, this remains my favorite Anime series. The combination of genius director Shinichiro Watanabe, and the mindblowingly incredible soundtrack from Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts would go down in history as an
Anime dream team. I still look forward to any new project these two work on.

Speaking of the soundtrack, I used to listen to the entire 3 disc soundtrack, the Knockin' On Heavens Door soundtrack, and Vitaminless all the friggin' time. Over and over and over again. Bebop also has one of the best English dubs ever, and one of the only Anime that I will still watch the dub of. I even got my Dad into the series so much that he bought the whole series for himself just so he could watch it all the time. Hell, he even has figures of Faye and Julia!

Ahhh, it's just so great.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion

NGE was the other series I got super into at the same time as Cowboy Bebop, and not too surprisingly it remains one of my favorites. It wasn't technically my introduction to the Mecha craze in Japan, but I think it was the first time it really clicked with me. And it was the first time I ever experienced the awesomeness that is GAINAX.

The religious theme also did a lot for me, not that I'm a religious person, but I just love the mythology behind it. Also, yo, I dunno if you know this, but shit gets CRAZY in this show. A lot of it went over my head at the time, but all I knew was that it was amazing.

The new movies are doing a lot to keep the legacy going for me, but aside from that I've already purchased the entire series on DVD several times now. And I still love it. Except for episodes 25 and 26...

...which is totally a moot point because The End of Evangelion is the greatest ending to anything, ever. For as terrible 25&26 were, EoE totally redeems the ending of the series. It was the first time I had ever seen something so... devastating. The final scenes where the infamous song Komm Susser Tod plays is one of the craziest, most beautiful things I've ever seen. It still gives me chills.

3. Death Note

I've thought this over for a while, no, not just while I was thinking up this post, but over the past few years. The conclusion? Death Note is my third favorite Anime of all time. It's-so-good. The story is so incredible, and the plot twist are so... furious that I get excited every single time I watch the series. All of that combined with some incredible animation, and an amazing soundtrack make Death Note a classic for me.

4. Berserk

Berserk is pretty much the perfect combination of what I love. Dark, gritty, violent fantasy, with a Shonen-esque protagonist. Guts is one of the biggest badasses out there, and a personal "husbando" of mine. It's just a shame about the ending, or rather the fact that there was never more to the Anime. The story is pretty much just getting started when you get hit with the biggest cockblock ending of all time. I hoped against hope that they'd eventually return to it someday, but it never happened.

Alternatively, I know that there are new movies coming out for the series. They look incredible, and I wish I could get subs for them. Hell, I wish they'd get released here, I'd actually buy them! I don't know if they'll cover more of the Manga or not, but I sure hope they do. Also, I've read a little bit of the Manga, and it is good, and I'd like to go back to it sometime, but it's just not the same.

5.Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

GAINAX Mech Anime, less religion, magnitudes more ballsout crazy. That's pretty much what TTGL is. And it plays right into my obsession of super powerful characters fighting crazy ass battles. It sounds like most people have seen this, and in fact love it, so not much more to say. But I will confirm what Roll is saying, and suggest everyone watch the second movie. It's INSANE.

6. One Piece

I'm a huge fan of Shonen Anime, it's just too bad that most of them are pretty shitty. One Piece though, One Piece remains golden. Every two years I sit down and marathon through all the episodes I need to catch up on, and it's always amazing. Luffy is my hero.

7. Samurai Champloo

Here's another Watanabe joint. And while Kanno isn't attached to this project, it still has a pretty amazing soundtrack. Also, the show just oozes with style. Everything about it is just awesome to experience. Some pretty intense action combined with some pretty hilarious moments.

8. Katanagatari

Katanagatari is actually very similar to Samurai Champloo. It takes place in Feudal Japan, it has incredible action, it has comedy, and it has gobs of gorgeous style. The last episode has one of the coolest sequences in anything ever.

9. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

It's a shame PMMM isn't higher on this list, because it is absolutely astounding. On the surface it looks likes your typical moeblob magical girl Anime we've been plagued with for years now, but underneath that is an emotionally gripping story, with enough oddities and style that SHAFT is famous for at this point. By the time the credits rolled for the series I was moved close to tears, more than once.

Not since the 90s have we had such a worthwhile magical girl Anime, along the types of Sailor Moon, and Card Captor Sakura. Except with a gritty, sometimes extremely effed up elements. And while there were some definite "quality" issues during the television broadcast, SHAFT did it's thing, and the Blu-rays are so god damn beautiful.

All of this complimented by a breathtaking soundtrack by the super talented Kajiura Yuki, and a positively stirring ending theme by Kalafina. Oh man, why isn't this higher!?

10. Gundam Wing

Yes, I realize Gundam Wing isn't the best series in the Gundam franchise. In fact most hardcore Gundam fans hate it. However, it was my introduction into the universe, back in the days of Toonami, and I was friggin' obsessed with it. The Gundams in Wing remain some of my favorite in the entire franchise, like Epyon who is still my all time favorite. And yeah, it's pretty gay, but so what? The girls in the show were absolutely terrible, so what's wrong with a little Heero YuyxDuo Maxwell. Ahem.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby TracerBullet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Fine, I'll run down a quick top 10 off the top of my head. Also note that some of the series below you can find online through Crunchyroll or Hulu, legally, for free. In no particular order...

1) Darker Than Black
Chinese Electric Batman fights against "Contractors." They're kind of like X-Men mutants except that they all have a compulsion to pay a certain "price" every time they use their powers. The price can range from smoking a cigarette to breaking your own fingers, but the powers are pretty amazing. Animated by Studio Bones and with a musical score composed by the great Yoko Kanno. You will like this show, though the second season is a bit of a letdown.

2) Gintama
Probably the closest thing Japan has to The Simpsons. A samurai-in-training meets up with a lazy ex-samurai and a strong alien girl voiced by Rie Kugumiya and they go on lots of crazy adventures that often reference Japanese pop-culture and other anime/manga franchises. Yeah, the manga has gone through hundreds of chapters and the anime has likewise hit 250-something episodes but you can jump in at nearly any point and not be too lost because the story rarely has any continuity aside from some mini-arcs.

Also, doesn't just bring a tear to your eye?

3) Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Yep, gotta put it here. A mech show that rarely took itself too seriously, so that the few times it did it really felt like an effective sucker punch to the gut. Plenty of BURNING SPIRIT and DRILL POWER to go around multiple times. I would watch this show over and over again.

4) Cowboy Bebop
I cannot think of a single episode I wouldn't watch multiple times. Amazing soundtrack, characters, soundtrack, dialogue, soundtrack, action scenes, and did I mention the fucking soundtrack that was composed by Yoko Kanno? Because I don't think I did. You cannot call yourself an anime fan without watching this whole series at least once. Also, I actually preferred the English-dub voices to the original Japanese in this one.

5) Puella Magi Madoka Magicka
Not something you want to watch if you want to feel happy or still have faith in the goodness of humanity. But if you can get past that detail this show was amazing how Studio Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbo took the tropes of anime magical girl shows, twisted them, warped them through a funhouse mirror, saved a picture of that mirror's reflection, printed out a copy of that picture, tore that picture into strips and then glued those strips to their face before running out of the room screaming "IIIIIIIIMMA PRETTY PRINCESSSSSSSSS!"

Okay, maybe it wasn't that crazy, but the way it just went deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole of what it means to be a magical girl and ended with an ultimate sacrifice really warped my perception of this genre. Then again, I'm not sure if there will be another quite like this show.

6) Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Future-Japan, super-advanced robotics and cybernetics, transhumanist issues, no pointless fanservice, great animation, cool fight scenes and a female lead who isn't useless. Also, Yoko-fucking-Kanno composing the music again.

7) Baccano!
Based off a light novel that will never be translated over here (scattershot fan-translations notwithstanding), but even before I heard that it was adapted I loved this show. It's the closest we'll ever get to a Guy Ritchie anime, with a bunch of different mobsters with various quirks all stuck on one train for different reasons in Prohibition-era America. The English dub actually fits in this setting, and the VA behind Ladd Russo really makes him funny and endearing, if you can get past the character being a murderous psychopath.

I'll also jam Durarara!! in this entry, because it's pretty much the same thing except set in modern-day Ikebukuro, written by the same author, and there's even a tiny bit of crossover with a couple of odd characters from the former appearing as cameos in the latter.

8) The Vision of Escaflowne
Old-fashioned knights mixed with weird mechs, awesome sword fights, a female lead who isn't useless and a villain who may or may not be Isaac Newton. Shame that the ending seemed a bit rushed, but otherwise I would totally recommend this one to anyone.

9) Last Exile
A world full of steampunk airships and characters who actually grow the fuck up in the heat of battle, though I still have no idea exactly who survived in the end (apparently everyone except my favorite character iirc). Still, I really love this show and have watched it more than once.

10) Black Lagoon
Adapted from Rei Hiroe's manga (and will hopefully continue if someone can drag him away from his femdom porno long enough to keep drawing it), kind of an homage to various exploitation movies. As long as you don't care about realistic physics it is an amazing show. Hell, it starts off when the good guys use an old Vietnam-era PT boat to ramp up into the air and destroy a helicopter before they hit the water.

Wow this list got bigger than I thought it would. Hope someone actually reads this stuff.
TracerBullet
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Bear » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 pm

I read all the long posts, I enjoy hearing everyone's takes on things. I actually enjoy that a number of us go into such depth on a number of threads; it takes a while to read but I feel like I get a much better sense for what everyone is like.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby ThePaul » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Wow, how'd I forget to put Baccano! in there? I need to start watching Durarara!! now. If you don't see me for a while, that's why.

Also, another anime I really enjoyed but forgot to put in my second post is Speed Grapher. Just all the weird power sets the freaks in that show had really interested me on some kinda' dark level. Even the non-super powered bad guys were suitably messed up. Our main character was also able to be badass even if his weapon was just a camera and the worst case of pink eye I've ever scene.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby chrisb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 pm

The new Lupin III is as beautiful to watch as Gankutsuo. The opening is a work of art!
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shiny Things