[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Xela's Travel Log
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

Xela's Travel Log

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Xela's Travel Log

Postby XelaReko » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:29 am

So starting a less depressing thread to chronicle my travels, but this time without the doom and gloom.

So far I went fishing in south Florida and to my first steam punk con near New York City which was awesome! I plan to go back to New York in July hopefully if fate allows it because I didn't get to be a tourist at all.

I went to the con with a bunch of girls and a guy that makes costumes so they dressed me up in some rather awesome stuff (the hat is still mine)! I have a few pictures off of my friend's camera (Mine had a battle with a fish in south Florida and lost), so enjoy!

Me and my girl. She may like the drill hand (or "Drilldo" as it was called) a bit too much...

One of the guests was a martial arts expert and held a few bartitsu lessons. Bartitsu is the 18th and 19th century fancy english gentleman's way of fighting and it is really fun. Mainly doing this for fun and yes I see all the errors in my stance so shhh, I won't tell if you won't. I kind of had what my friends where calling "A huge fanboy crush" on the instructor, Mark Donnelly ("Noted Scholar and Distinguished Gentleman" Said so on his card so you know it is true).

Meet Michael, the costume craftsman. He had a bigger drill arm that no one got pictures of sadly. Just look at his steam punk robot arm and leg! They bend and glow! How cool is that?

Close up of the hand drill plus robo arm. So awesome...
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Re: Xela's Travel Log

Postby chrisb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Looking sharp there! That is some pretty awesome looking steam punk going on that con. Drilldo sounds scary!
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby XelaReko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 am

It is. You have no idea...
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Jane Gray » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Wow, I've never seen anything like this. You guys look cool! I'm considering going on my own adventures now. I'll probably have to make a poem about you... I've got to get some information collected first though. Very inspirational.
Jane Gray
Jane Gray
Thief LV 40/30
Thief  LV 40/30

Postby th3squirr3l » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Gotta love steampunk :D

Was at NY ComicCon this year and there was a booth with loads of awesome steampunk themed apparel, but it was all so expensive >.<

My friend picked up a really cool pair of goggles there, I just wish I had had enough money at the moment to get a few things myself...
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby RollCasket » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm definitely a fan of the goggles. Steampunk stuff always reminds me of Bioshock these days, lol.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:44 pm

It really is funny how popular Steam Punk is these days. Well, that and zombies. I thought that steam punk zombies would probably be popular, and doing a google search, I was able to find people already cosplaying as some, which is pretty cool and funny.

Thanks for sharing your adventures Xela! I look forward to more of your travel entries!
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby XelaReko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Th3Squirrel: This is my friends' shop. They always undersell everyone else because they aren't jerks. http://www.etsy.com/shop/NightTerrorzOd ... ef=si_shop

plus they do good work! I know, I was wearing it!

Bear: Yes! There is the cosplay zombie rule. If there is a cosplay, there is a zombie version of it.
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby th3squirr3l » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:30 pm

^I might have to get something from them. I particularly like the catastrophe valve ring. Not sure why, but it's a lot of the intricacies that attract me the most to steampunk. Attention to minute detail makes something all the better, which is why I love smaller pieces like this.

Me wearing my friend's goggles:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 1453_o.jpg

Don't mind the bad haircut, or the guy in a banana suit. xD
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby Farore » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Looks like you've been having a great time Xela, glad to hear it.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Next

Return to Other Shiny Things