[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - LiA 65 - Epoch Cake
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

LiA 65 - Epoch Cake

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

LiA 65 - Epoch Cake

Postby Bear » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:12 pm

http://www.lifeinaggro.com/Archives/lia20110827.png

I had to post this as a topic...

I've never felt so defeated by a comic before. We worked so long on it and fell so short. I almost wanted to scrap it completely, but that would mean no update... I dunno... Just felt terrible about it as I sit here just after posting it. Hope you guys smiled a little, though I'm expecting the reactions to be sub-par. @_@ Please be honest if you guys do post~
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Re: LiA 64 - Epoch Cake

Postby Soeroah » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Honestly, it does fall short compared to the others, but I still snorted in a 'wtf' way. The problem with having something really good means you compare it to everything else, so it gets harder to enjoy for what it is. Happened to me and Moffatt the writer after that Blink episode of Doctor Who.

Don't despair =)
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby RollCasket » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:55 pm

I'll admit I was really excited when I saw it was Chrono Trigger related but it did unfortunately fall short =/

I will say though that I liked that Ayla was eating with her hands and Frog had a giant fly on his plate, those were nice touches. Poor Robo though...nobody uses you in their party D= I hope this doesn't discourage you two from a future CT comic though. I mean all things considering this one was a bit longer than some and had a lot going on art-wise, so I imagine it prolly took quite a bit of work, so try not to be too discouraged. Keep it up!
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:55 pm

Sorry for the late reply...I really had to take some time away from being social...and doing much of anything, really... after that last comic. I think the biggest thing that I'm learning in doing the comic...hell, anything creative, really...is that Pie and I just need to take some time away and refresh. When we made this comic, we were kind of driving on empty and our situation is precarious right now. Having some "us time" and relaxing a bit helped, and I think it really shows in this week's comic, which I am much happier with...even though I'm unsure how well it will be received.

Thank you both so much for your encouraging words...it means a lot to us both. I think IF we do another CT comic, its going to have to be amazingly good to make up for this one hehe.

Also Soeroah, I'm really intrigued by your comment about Doctor Who - did you work with Moffatt on Doctor Who, or did you mean after that episode, it became harder for you to enjoy other episodes from him? I always liked the idea that unexpected people are around on the Internet participating in discussions and stuff, its very awesome how you get to see people who do extraordinary things just being...people. hehe

Anyways, about Doctor Who! I'm really curious about this series. Pie and I had a guild mate in WoW that would watch it all the time with his daughter and tell us about it on Ventrilo. Sadly, Pie and I have been without TV service for a long time, so we never got to check it out. I feel so isolated from popular culture right now....not that I've ever been really deeply into it, but we've been living like hermits lately and I definitely feel the withdrawal hehe
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Soeroah » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Oh, no, I've never worked with Moffat. Not even a writer :p

It's the second bit. I've always been a Moffat fan, and one episode of the new Doctor Who series called Blink was fantastic, but it unfortunately resulted in me (and the rest of the family) comparing his later works to it. Even some episodes that use the same theme aren't as good. It just felt...unique, I guess? The other episodes he writes are still good and entertaining, but Blink was one I chucked on an iPod and took around to different friends to get their reactions.

However, I have read that Moffat was a Doctor Who fan from way back, and that a forum post he once made like...16 years ago turned out to be 'prophetic' of an episode he wrote recently. So that fits in with your statement about writers participating in forums and such.

If you haven't seen Doctor Who, I'd recommend Blink, but if it then encourages you both to watch other episodes it will be the same as watching the best thing first, then watching the other things with the bar raised high. Of course, opinions are subjective, so you might not even like Blink. I believe it's one of the popular episodes, though.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby RollCasket » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:11 am

? /heh Still, don't be afraid to take extra time on comics sometimes. You could even do something like a quick drawing or small comic (like the bonus time ones) in place of what you were going to post in order to work more on the main one.

In any case, I love CT too much to say not to do another comic of it, so maybe I'm a bit biased =P
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:28 am

Hehe...indeed ^_~

We can't take TOO much extra time - I mean we already do that now (hence late Friday, sometimes Saturday posting) but it's something that I really want to get away from. I think it's important for us to strike while the iron is hot and I want people to be excited to check the site. So to Pie and I, it's the biggest let down if we are late because it sucks to be a fan of something and find out there is nothing new.

It is tough on us now, but its okay because we love it so much. I desperately want to get successful enough to not only make a full time living off of comic making, but also have enough to hire a colorist similar to what Christopher Hasting () does by having his friend Anthony Clark () color for him. That way Pie and I could focus on scripting more comics and just have her worry about the line work and me do more writing and whatever business stuff.

What I'd REALLY like to be doing is 2-3 LiA's a week as well as significant progress on the Chromatic Shift manga at the same time. That would be TIGHT!
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares