[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - LiA 69- Friendship is Magic
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

LiA 69- Friendship is Magic

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

LiA 69- Friendship is Magic

Postby Soeroah » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Curse you, Life in Aggro, for bringing up my addiction to ponies *fist shake*

Also, I totally missed this comic until today because I forgot about the bi-weekly format :p Sorry about that.

So, apart from the ponies and knowing that's Solid Snake, the mushrooms have admittedly lost me. What the hay does it all meeeeeeean?

Edit: After getting to the news post associated with, it makes sense, also lol xP
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Re: LiA 69- Friendship is Magic

Postby RollCasket » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:24 am

You know...it was all Snake's fault for handing it to him on a platter. Also, it TOTALLY shoulda recharged the wiimote by Bear eating them, so I dunno why Snake tried to stop him D=
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah, we were like...this kinda doesn't make sense since Snake himself recharged batteries by eating the mushrooms, so why would he stop Bear? Pie thought up some convoluted reason for it, and we just thought, eh, its funny this way and who cares if it doesn't make 100% sense...most of our stuff is silly randomness anyways, right? lol

Also, thank you both so much for posting these threads - I know I should find time to do it myself and maybe add a bit more insight into the comic creation, but wow have we been busy lately haha. Anyways, I'll USUALLY have time on Saturdays to post and stuff, so I'll see what I can do.

I really like the Derp or Die shirt, a small but obscure reference to "Skate or Die". MLP:FiM has been getting so much attention, and the animation looks really really well done, that Pie and I have been wanting to check it out. I hope that we can afford to get satellite service back soon so we can check it out...as well as Ugly Americans...damn I miss that show!
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Soeroah » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:42 pm

If you can stomach some cheesiness, and you watch MLP, there's a decent chance you'll get addicted. At least you'd be getting into the first series as the second launches. Speaking of which, I have a YouTube to browse...
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby RollCasket » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Yeah, somehow I just can't make myself watch MLP, so I have no comments about it =P I'm too busy lately to watch much of anything anyway, as it is I barely get much game time anymore =/

No problem though about the threads, I figured you were busy, especially as you two are tryin to get in the groove of postin 2 comics a week now. Plus, I totally gotta get to High Priest yo! I remember Skate or Die, though the one I'm thinking of is prolly not the same one, cause I played it on Commodore 64 =X

But lil more back on topic, I still think the comic works fine that way, and I love randomness so it's all good =P
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:16 am

So Soeroah, what is it about MLP that's appealing to you? I've read some pretty cool things about the creator and the production team that make me think they have a good handle on catering to fandom, which is really cool.

It's funny to me how many people can get turned off by the idea of watching a "kids show", but the fact of the matter is that this stuff is made by adults and a lot of times with anything that's good these days, the "kid shows" will have a ton of topical and hidden adult humor so the parents of kids don't have to sit through a bunch of drudge. I think it's a pretty big feat for a show to be able to cater to such a wide age demographic, and that's pretty cool.

Speaking of "kids shows", I remember one of the coolest things when I was a kid was watching Ren and Stimpy with my dad. It was so absurd and goofy and my dad enjoyed it so we got excited watching it together. The same goes for Duckman, though that was admittedly aimed for adults. I think that was a pretty strong bonding experience between us - well, that and playing games together which was always really awesome.

Wow...total derailed there. So yeah, how much of a fan are you of MLP Soeroah? lol
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Soeroah » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:49 am

Well, put it this way, when I read that after the next episode there will be about another month before the rest of the season, I whined out loud and complained in an IRC channel full of other fans about it :p

I have no idea what's appealing to me, really. I never REALLY grew out of my love of cartoons- I still watch Disney movies even though I'm 21 and I love Kingdom Hearts because of all the references (and other things). I enjoy Fairly Odd Parents for some reason. So I guess it's not much of a stretch for My Little Pony to enthrall me.

A lot of the humour is great for me. I love Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. I never thought I'd like My Little Pony after all the adds I saw as a kid, but this version almost feels completely different. The animation is great, the voice acting is top-notch, although cheesy the plots can be entertaining. Mabye it's because of the sub-culture it's spawned. I -love- that fan names for characters are becoming canonical- there was a character called Ditzy Hooves, but after fans called her Derpy that became her name. Along with 'Doctor Whooves'. The writers love that adults are enjoying it as much as the adults love the show. There's an Equestria Girls parody done by the cast as a commercial, which is great (it directly references 'bronies' and shows that the creators are fully aware of the fanbase). Songs are generally good too, even if they get stuck in my damn head!

So yeah. Good characterisation, great humour, fun stories, good fan base (mostly) and the show's owners are fine with fans using images and video clips to make stuff- they understand the whole culture of Internet memes and allow it, which shows respect, as I see it.

Random video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITr90v7UaNg I'm a big fan, but not quite as big as that guy :p
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby RollCasket » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:23 am

Holy crap Ren and Stimpy! To this day I sometimes wonder HOW that show ever made it on tv, lol. I mean when you think about it, there was some pretty effed up stuff in there, but everyone who watched it still enjoyed it anyway =P Rocko's Modern Life was ok too, there were a lot of good cartoons that came on. I also really enjoyed Freakazoid and Earthworm Jim =P

I think in general I've just been turned off by more modern cartoons cause I just feel they're not as good as the ones I watched. It's not just cause I was a kid either, cause many shows I watched well into my...uhh...not kid years and still enjoyed them =P Speaking of modern cartoons, has anyone else seen the new Looney Tunes? It's reeeaaallly weird >.> The best way I can describe it is a cartoon sitcom with Looney Tunes characters, 99% of the "comedy" comes from jokes instead of stuff happening. To make things more weird, the "Merry Melodies" segments are full on songs sung by whatever character its for...including a rap by Yosemite Sam, I shit you not. The ALMOST light at the end of the tunnel was at the end of it where a Road Runner short played that was almost like the old RR cartoon...except CGed for some reason. Also, when Wille E Coyote who was trying to camouflage himself to catch Road Runner got smashed/fell/whatever...a sign flashed on screen that was like "CAMOUFLAGE FAIL!" and I'm like "...is...that really necessary?" as it continued to do it each time >.> As the Ren and Stimpy horse would say "No sir, I don't like it!"

Sorry that was wall of text-ish, but yeah, cartoons =P There's only two channels I watch on tv and that's Comedy Central and Cartoon Network, though I don't watch tv too often. This is quickly becoming the cartoon thread =P
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares