[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - LiA 76 - Fairy Shop of Horrors
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

LiA 76 - Fairy Shop of Horrors

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

LiA 76 - Fairy Shop of Horrors

Postby Bear » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:33 am

http://www.lifeinaggro.com/Archives/lia20111007.png

I really ended up liking how this one came out, corny punch line and all. To me, I think a lot of times for the long form comics, the real joke is never really in the last frame, its usually in the 2nd or 3rd to last. I think that ends up happening a lot because we need to tie up the story in a way to a point where we are satisfied.

One of the big decisions to try and move away from this format was that we were getting some feedback that they weren't sure where the joke was...which seemed odd. I guess it might be similar to if you were reading a question and the upward inflection didn't come at the end, it would be pretty odd. So perhaps people were getting set up for some big punch line, expecting it on the last frame, when the real joke came before it, then they would feel as if the overall comic was weak due to a bad finale.

So yeah, the real joke for me in this comic is definitely Ryu turning into the Pygmy dragon, which I thought was a great change from the original script. We had originally had him thought out to be a regular dragon just mangling fairies, then the "male" fairy saying a more normal line. That was the original concept, and it made us laugh a lot, but then when we were working, it just didn't seem right. It was too serious and more cool looking then funny. That's when I had the idea to change him into a pygmy dragon and go the goofy route, which I think made the comic. The last pun at the end was just thrown in because we didn't want to take it seriously, so we just decided...let's just go for the "groan-worthy" pun, because its stupid but made us smile nonetheless.

Hope you guys enjoyed it! Let me know which one of the sister comics you liked better and why!
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Re: LiA 76 - Fairy Shop of Horrors

Postby RollCasket » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 pm

I was about to make a thread for this but I was busy, and then work happened, and then working overtime happened, in which case sleeping all day happened, but then sorta didn't cause I just got woken up >.>

In any case, I love both of them. It's kinda hard to say which of the two is my favorite cause I love different things about each one. The poor new fairies died so fast =X I like Ryu's "What the HELL is this?!" cause that's pretty much your reaction to the game, lol. Of course Pygmy dragon is awesome, which is easy to tell it was that cause it's the only "dragon" form without arms, lol, also funny cause to fairies even that would be big to them. Also, for your thoughts post, Pygmy totally has a move! He has that fire breath move! He also squeaks and is awesome, lol. My one personal preference change would be "AWESOME YELLING SOUND!!!" instead of "DRAGON FORM!!" but that's just me, lol. Roommate also got a laugh out of both of them.

That's interesting feedback though...I dunno, I personally don't have a problem with the joke being anywhere, but I guess for those just looking for teh lulz it might be weird.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares