[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Recipe for Failure
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

Recipe for Failure

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

Recipe for Failure

Postby Bear » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I was going to post the aborted comic here on the forums, but Pie really didn't want it circulating around on the Internet with our names on it, so I suppose I'll leave it up to your imaginations.

I have to say, nothing is as frustrating and embarrassing as missing a comic entry. I've read that it's common for comic creators starting out to miss entries and how important it is not to do so. I was able to feel a little bit of pride that even if we were sometimes a day late, we never missed a complete entry. It was nice to think that with absolutely no buffer we were able to go our first 16 months without completely missing a beat.

One of the biggest reasons for this misstep was the fact that we jumped into the two comic a week schedule a bit prematurely. Had we done the sensible thing, we would have made the two comics a week schedule part of our routine, but only posted one. I didn't like the idea though of jumping to our big comics once a week to a rather short comic once a week until we had a buffer - it just felt like not enough content. At least this way we could have at least started to build a buffer, but I was optimistic that we may even be able to work on 3 comics on certain week, and have the 3rd comic start to populate our buffer.

What really ended up killing it this week was the fact that Pie had to spend a large chunk of time at the beginning of the week finishing up the shirt design and the fact that we were experimenting with a new style for Friday's entry. The result was interesting, but it just wasn't funny past the original concept, and it didn't FEEL like a Life in Aggro comic – it was completely missing our essence, I guess you could say.

Anyways, there is no sense beating ourselves up over a failure-its part of growing and getting better. I just hope the little doodle Pie drew at least garnered a smile.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Re: Recipe for Failure

Postby RollCasket » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 am

Don't beat yourselves up too much over it, stuff happens, or in this case, life aggros. Besides, part of the reason was finishing up the shirt design and that's also related to the comic/site in general, so it's fine.

But yeah, it happens to everyone. In fact, this week for me even I had to work 3 morning shifts (and I never work mornings) and then 2 graveyards all in a row...obviously I've been doing little more than sleep/try to sleep (one night I slept for 2 hours and laid in bed for 5 hours unable to go to sleep again) which is why I haven't done much on the forums lately.

So yeah, try not to be too down about it, just pick up where ya left off and keep going. In a way it's good that it bothers you guys so much though cause it shows how important it is to you guys and how serious you are about making it work, just don't over stress to the point where it can get in the way of enjoying it =P
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares