[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - LiA 79 - Club Wheatley
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

LiA 79 - Club Wheatley

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

LiA 79 - Club Wheatley

Postby Bear » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:27 pm

http://www.lifeinaggro.com/Archives/lia20111021.png

A Portal comic without cake, portals or the companion cube. That was our goal and we were able to accomplish it, but hopefully the comic came out funny. We were intentionally staying away from those topics, because they seem played out by now. Everyone and their grandmother has made these references, and it would be really tough to be fresh with it.

Pie really went overboard on this one as far as shading went. I think it came out looking great, but I was worried she was burning herself out spending so much time on it.

I know Pie and I were laughing quite a bit at this one while making it, but damn. I look at it now and it does nothing for me- I've seen it too many times. I thought the comic was silly and cute, kinda random with the animals. We had some idea that there would be some fantastical "thing" that you were missing out on when Wheatley asks you to turn around- just don't ask how a wild miniature animal party is supposed to open secret exits...that's an ancient secret long forgotten.

Also, RIGHT after we posted, I had this epiphany that the last reaction frames of Wheatley should have been cut completely. I was wondering if those sort of shots, meant to bring closure, end up stealing thunder from the comic, as people may, maybe even subconsciously, misinterpret those to be the "punch line", when really the humor is decidedly elsewhere in the comic . I guess I was thinking about it since the House of the Dead comic on why so many people were underwhelmed by it, and started to draw a similarity in how they both ended.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Re: LiA 79 - Club Wheatley

Postby RollCasket » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:26 am

I'm happy that you guys didn't go with the overplayed stuff...like god...that Still Alive song...I really don't want to hear it anymore x.x I do love Wheatey's accent though on an unrelated note.

How can you not turn around when there's some crazy techno and lights goin on behind you? I think the part that gets me though is the animals dancing, then being toys...how is he making them move? =X I think the expression at the end though is kinda cute cause it shows off his character.

Hopefully it didn't burn Pie out too much, but it looks good at least.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:29 am

Wait...toys? lol They are just little minature animals. They stop moving because...they are just as shocked by Pie as she is of them. hehe
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:35 am

Oh, well now it takes an even different albeit weirder and even more random turn, LOL!

Well then miniature animals...carry on! untz untz unzt~
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Bear » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:38 am

Hahaha! The sound effects, we ALMOST left out because we thought the comic was getting pretty busy as is, but the untz untz's came out looking pretty good in just white, so it made me smile that you recognized it as techno and used it in your post =D
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Bear » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 am

Oh oh, sorry for the double post, but something that we wanted to show but was REALLY hard to do was that there is confetti in the first frame, and as they realize Pie is there, the confetti stops dropping and the music stops playing.

Pie was also really unsure of having the "Dramatic Head Turn!" text. She liked that it slowed down the pace but really wanted those frames to be silent. I was concerned that it may not have been clear enough that the animals were also turning their heads to look at Pie though.
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:48 am

Haha, I liked the sound effects, even though I typo'd my 3rd one, oops. It's a small and simple touch but I think it works. If I had to make one tiny change though, it'd be for the to be in there, possibly even in the same pose lol.

Semi related, I would hope every true nerd could recognize techno!
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares