[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Do No Damage
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

Do No Damage

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

Re: Do No Damage

Postby Eccs » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:13 am

Yeah table top games do take a while to set up and play, I remember when I used to play Warhammer 40k. Part of the problem with that was probably we rocked up to the local tabletop games club and had to find people to play with then figure out what army sizes to use. Then you had to calculate army values/deployment and yeah @_@ so much time. Especially when there are more then 2 players. Campaigns and tournies also took ages, I think it usually spanned over a long weekend and it would be like morning to evening games all the way through.

I still have my army but it is all in pieces from neglect and wear and tear, but yeah I enjoyed painting the models and figuring out strategies and stuff. But since uni and work it kinda became too hard especially since the club only runs on Sundays and I have church so in the end I stopped.

Would definitely like to pick it up again but yeah things have probably changed quiet a bit.
Eccs
Priest LV 90/50
Priest  LV 90/50

Postby Zyran Lionheart » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 am

I think that Bear and Pie had the right idea with how to play. You don't have to obey the rules completely, as long as you have fun. The benefit of the Dungeon Master is making a game that is fun for everyone, even through playing Dungeons & Dragons on a Heroscape board. Hehe
Pots OP
Zyran Lionheart
Thief LV 52/40
Thief  LV 52/40

Postby hrist » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 pm

CRIT! CRIT! this sounds like me in many mmorpgs and rpgs, lol this was agreat comic, I love Role Playing and DnD too much, I love wil wheaton too he really has a great thing going on with the tabletop gaming show on youtube it has me wanting to play more games like that

hrist
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Airk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 am

I thought I'd register here just to comment on this comic and the attendant... text.

I'm a long time D&D player. Like...25+ years. It's pretty entertaining sometimes.

But I don't actually recommend anyone START with it. In fact, I'm not even really sure I recommend anyone pick it up out of the sea of other tabletop RPG games that are floating around, because for all useful intents and purposes, no matter WHAT you want out of a game, there's a game out there that does it better than D&D.

D&D is where it is because it has been around longer than everything else. This, in turn, has allowed it to accrue a large player base. Many of whom try to make it do things that would be better done in a different game, but who are unwilling to branch out from what they know.

So it comes down to what you want out of a game. The current edition of D&D ("4E") is a strong tactical miniatures game with a pleasantly "crunchy" system, but it doesn't many any serious attempts at either simulating a world or giving you any real tools to tell a story with. Older editions of D&D made more effort to simulate a world, but were less streamlined and balanced games.

If you're really looking to tell a story, you're probably better off with a game that has more interest in telling a story. I like (which is actually translated from a Japanese game), and it's "big brother" (The former is a less complicated version of the latter, based in the very interesting world of David Petersen's Mouse Guard graphic novels. Burning Wheel is set in a more generically Tolkienesque fantasy world.), and . Though there are countless others.

In all honestly, I suggest you gather a group of people interested in playing a cooperative game of some sort, acquire some rules (again, I don't -really- suggest starting with D&D. Just because that's how everyone does it doesn't mean it's the right way to do it.) and flail your way through it. It's a brilliant, creative, clever hobby that can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be (If you want to buy "all" the books for an edition of D&D, you're looking at hundreds of dollars. If you want to play Fate and just make stuff up, it's completely free assuming you can scavenge some six-sided dice from an old copy of monopoly or something. Picking up the Tenra Bansho Zero rules will cost you $50 and you'll never need to buy anything else.). Tabletop roleplaying is something I think everyone should do. Just not, necessarily, with D&D.
Airk
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby Maple » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 pm

On an unrelated note, have you people heard about the new Terraria update?
Maple
Thief LV 25/18
Thief  LV 25/18

Postby Zyran Lionheart » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:56 am

*Rolls a d20 to see if he spots the comment*

I hope that they don't make a console-only update or something like that... but then again, would be nice having motivation to play the game from scratch again. I am aware of the update though, as just about half of my YouTube subscriptions have been making videos on it for a while now, hehe. (That and Starbound)
Pots OP
Zyran Lionheart
Thief LV 52/40
Thief  LV 52/40

Postby Pie » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby Airk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 am

I'm always proud to be the first do something. ;) I think the main reason you don't hear people recommend other games very much is that D&D is really very popular, and most people tend to feel that it's "good enough" or "perfectly fine" or "all the game they need" - I've been there. But then you start exploring some of the other offerings in the space and you start thinking "Huh. You know, a lot of this stuff is a lot smarter than the way it works in D&D, and this really encourages me to try to tell a story." Which, if it's what you're after, means that game fits your style better than D&D. But you'd never have known if you didn't look.

There is kindof a lot of reading involved in the hobby, but a lot of it can also be skipped initially if you're of a mind to do so. Tabletop Roleplaying games tend to have rules for a lot of different circumstances, but many, many of those circumstances are rather obscure. Most non-D&D games have a straightforward resolution mechanic that handles 90% of what you want to do. (D&D kindof does too, but there's the still rather arbitrary distinction between the way "attacks" are handled vs "skills".) For example, if you're playing Mouse Guard, and you're trying to find a lost mouse child in the woods, you'd just pick up dice (standard, 6-sided ones even!) equal to your scout skill, roll them, and count how many rolled 4,5 or 6. That's how many successes you have, it's compared to a number set by the game master that determines how hard that kid is to find. That's it for the core mechanic. There are various add-on bits - your friends probably want to help you look. If they can explain how they're helping, they can each lend you an extra die to roll. But in all seriousness, a lot of the reading in a lot of these books is learning about the world you are playing in.

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting information about "how long it takes to get anything done" - while it's true that to play a session of an RPG game does take several hours - depending on the game and the players - this is generally because you are doing LOTS OF THINGS. In general, any given "task" or "action" shouldn't take more than a minute or two, and that's only if it's something complex or you're not sure what the rule is. "You hear voices! Someone's coming!" "Okay! I'm going to close the trunk and duck into the shadows behind the wardrobe!" should take as long as it takes to say it, plus maybe 30 seconds to roll some dice. Maybe not even that long. And then you're on to "It's the duke and his son! You can't quite hear, but it sounds like they're discussing the upcoming Council meeting!"

The general rule of thumb for a properly run RPG is "say yes or roll the dice" - with the implication that dice should only be rolled if failure is both plausible and interesting...or can be made interesting. You shouldn't be rolling dice to order beer, but you might want to roll dice to drink the big guy under the table.

Time is another reason I don't instinctively recommend D&D - getting into a fight in D&D can take hours; This can be a good thing or a bad thing. It's a good thing if you're really concerned about figuring out tactics, who is flanking whom, and whether you can get to that goblin in one move or whether you'll have to charge and so on. It's a less good thing if you're not really interested in the minutiae of combat.

Lack of friends to play with is an awkward problem - while most RPGs can be played by two people, it's generally not optimal - 3-5 is generally a healthier number. There are options for this of course - sites like http://www.rpggamefind.com/ can help you find a group in your area, or you can play a "virtual game" with people via email, forum, Google hangout, or whatever.

In fact, I could probably be talked into helping with something like that if you're actually interested. >.>
Airk
Undeclared
Undeclared

Previous

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares