[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Do No Damage
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Life in Aggro Illustrated Laughing Squares

Do No Damage

In Soviet Russia, comic draw you! Chat about LiA~

Do No Damage

Postby Alexx » Fri May 31, 2013 7:01 am

OH MAN DnD...such a past with that. I don't think I'll ever go back, honestly. It wasn't so much the joke in the comic (though we were plenty confused in many areas) but I just did NOT take to all the rules. Not that I didn't agree with them...it just didn't sink in. Every damn time you do something you have to roll, add, look something else up, blahblahblah. The worst thing is that by the time you're done with all that junk you still have a good chance of just MISSING. It's one thing to choose "attack" in a video game RPG and miss. You didn't lose much by pressing a button. But in DnD you waste SO MUCH TIME figuring all this crap out JUST to miss in the end. Make that twice in a row and you sap all my energy for the game right quick.

I did have some good times, though! We kept at it for awhile and continuously changed the rules so we increased the imagination part and decreased the "roll your life away" part. One of my favorite stories involved our group trying to get into a building full of badguys without being noticed so we could get the drop on them. The DM made it clear that getting the drop on them wouldn't be possible, but we all decided that a diversion would work. DM couldn't fault us for that, but wondered what the heck we could do for a diversion. WELLL someone noticed that chickens were crazy cheap - I mean we didn't even have to pool our money to buy hundreds and hundreds of them. So we bought those hundreds of chickens, got on the roof of the building, and POURED THEM IN. Bam! Instant surprise attack amidst the chaos. DM couldn't disagree.

Of course that was during our first game where we were still playing it straight classic style, and since none of us were skilled in the game - including the DM - we all ended up dying by some Phase Spiders 'cause aparently if something can attack your constitution to zero then you die just like it was hitting your HP. (My character in that game was a halfling with a riding dog named Chewybitems. The dog also had a catapult on it's back that would launch me when you pulled his tail).

Anyway, like I said: we kept changing the rules until we all grew tired of it...or maybe it was just me, I can't remember.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Re: Do No Damage

Postby Adol The Red » Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 am

So, uh, I gotta ask... Is Total Soda good? Because it looks really good.

Never played D&D, but I always wanted to try it. There were more complex (and crazy) reasons I couldn't join Alexx when he was playing, but I was always curious.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby RollCasket » Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 am

Pirate Pie is adorable /rice I also love the "Cool Guy" mug and Twizzlers isn't of Red Vines? HMMMM...

I've played DnD twice, and neither times a full campaign (sadly lol). I played a thief both times, cause I feel that's where I can do the most crazy antics. It's been a while, but I remember the DM describing this you-really-don't-want-to-mess-with-this-guy in the pub we were in and I'm like "...I pickpocket him!" which got worried looks from everyone, but it totally worked! I also usually ended up with the best stuff cause when it came to rolling for things like that my rolls were awesome...which helped make up for my terrible combat rolls lol.

In other news, it's also good to see the Tiger is still on the loose.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Fri May 31, 2013 11:10 am

I played a little bit, but it wasn't all that fun to me. I had horrible rolls and it mostly devolved into us pissing about till the angry guy got pissed off. We never actually did anything funny in game, except kill this one dood that was supposed to give us a quest. The DM was able to work that into the plot, and that dood came back as a ghost villain.

I did resently purchase some (new) World of Darkness books (a Pen & Paper game set in modern day with various creepy crawlies like Vampires, Werewolves, and such), but of course can't find anyone to play with.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Maple » Fri May 31, 2013 4:20 pm

MapTools.
Maple
Thief LV 25/18
Thief  LV 25/18

Postby Adol The Red » Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 pm

Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Maple » Fri May 31, 2013 6:26 pm

Were they tasty rolls?
Maple
Thief LV 25/18
Thief  LV 25/18

Postby Eccs » Fri May 31, 2013 6:36 pm

DnD and other role playing games bring back so many memories. But yeah games were generally too long since we had to roll for just about everything. We spent a whole day at burger king/hungry jacks (which ever one you know) with our free refills playing during the weekend in high school. But yeah games just took forever just to get anywhere at all. It probably didnt help that I had terrible rolls most of the time.

I also remember trying out this Samurai role playing game with my friend, I remember it felt like our dungeon master deliberately punishing me, but he always made it sound kind of comical. E.g. You are up against giant. "You are going to attack it with your no dachi?" *Rolls* "Well, look at that it looks like you stabbed a tooth pick in his foot, how his going to step on you." *more rolls* "Wow you are lucky your still alive, barely though you are holding your head up with a twig"
^ In hindsight I released it was probably because I wanted to be a super samurai with the sword of impending doom, where as everyone else used a katana and bow. Probably why I was the one who always seemed to take a beating.
Eccs
Priest LV 90/50
Priest  LV 90/50

Postby Fixxxer 117 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:27 pm

I've all ways been put off of tabletop gaming mainly because of all the time you need to put into setting everything up, and then spend all day sitting around. I guess that stems from my love of speed, but if I were to play tabletop, I'd like to try out Battle Tech. Because Mechs are so freaking cool.

I do the impossible, like skiing through a revolving door.
Fixxxer 117
Assassin Cross LV 94/62
Assassin Cross  LV 94/62

Postby RollCasket » Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 pm

Well yeah Roll isn't known for combat so when Roll was Rolling combat Rolls the Rolls weren't very Roll...I mean weren't very good.
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Next

Return to Illustrated Laughing Squares