[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Howdy! I thought I would join and chat with you guys!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Introductions Hi! I'm New Here!

Howdy! I thought I would join and chat with you guys!

Welcome! Come on over and tell us a bit about yourself~

Howdy! I thought I would join and chat with you guys!

Postby XelaReko » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:16 am

Howdy! My name is XelaReko and I am rather new to Life in Agro, only finding out about it a few months ago. I am a gamer, a scientist, and a programmer which I like to say gives me a "unique" view point on video games but in reality means that I just do things such as sit staring at the textures, judge the accuracy of the game's physics, and try to figure out how they programmed segments usually while driving anyone who is watching insane by my easily-distracted play style.

I fell in love with the art style and writing of LiA as soon as I saw it and I figured it was time to join the community, so here I am!

I guess I will share some random facts about me now:
1. I am colorblind and love valve for putting colorblind modes into their games.
2. I really love school. I am completing a masters in physics and software engineering and probably will pick up another degree in math if allowed.
3. I practice several types of martial arts, but only have a black belt in one system. The rest were just to try different view points and ideas.
4. I work at a National Lab that holds most of the world records for High intensity magnetic fields and we have made frogs float before.
5. I have a love of spreadsheets and graphs and structured systems which I like to play up as a romantic interest or obsession sometimes. (So don't scared! It is all in good fun!)
6. I am trying to learn Danish but find it hard as it is so different from English.

If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to try to answer! =D
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Re: Howdy! I thought I would join and chat with you guys!

Postby RollCasket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Welcome! Always nice to have more people around, especially with a different take on things such as yours. Though I have to say there have been a few times I've stopped and starred at the scenery or physics in different games.

Semi random, but now when I see posts by you, I'm going to think of floating frogs...which also reminds me of Shrek when they puff up the frogs to use as balloons...
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby XelaReko » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Then allow me to put an image to the floating frog story.

XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Soeroah » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Hello and welcome!

Also, I think English is one of the harder languages to learn if it's a second language :p But I was never good at languages anyway.
Soeroah
Dancer LV 82/50
Dancer  LV 82/50

Postby Bear » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 am

Hi Xela! It is indeed very awesome to have you join us, so welcome!

Bravo on the awesome introduction; Pie and I really love to hear about the personal lives of other people. She is a natural stalker, as indicated in the Persona 3 Portable comic, and I just like to be a general creeper! So thank you for all of your delicious details!

I've never really enjoyed school myself, which should probably be evident in how bad my grammar and punctuation are. If it seems good, it is only because I excel at mimicry and nothing more. I do, however, love to learn; but I like the hands on feeling of jumping in and getting my hands dirty and learning through experimentation.

I've always been interested in training in a martial art. I've looked into it a LOT, and if I had the time I would want to train in Shao Lin Wushu. I'm mostly drawn to the weapon play and more gymnastic nature of it. Sadly I doubt I will ever seriously take it on because there is always something I would rather do with my free time. I do think it is really awesome that you train your body and mind equally; I've always wanted that sort of balance for myself.

Also, thank you very much for your kind words, and please make yourself at home. It is very exciting seeing the forum community growing; I feel like we are starting to get to a point of critical mass of users that is necessary to keep them active, so, yay for community!
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby RollCasket » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:06 am

I wouldn't worry so much about grammar, this is the internet afterall =P I'm prolly the worse here anyway as I'm sure anyone who is reading my posts is like "omfg stop using commas! the run-ons are killing me! KILLING ME! ::jumps off a cliff::"

And thus the reason why the forums are often dead...hospital time from cliff diving is just no fun /shy
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby Mistaque » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:03 pm

...Danish fried floating frog legs with a side of spreadsheet and colorless sauce...

..uh... Welcome!

Interesting interests you have there.. in fact, I can't really relate to any of them.. (school = yawn)
..other than gaming of course.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you fully or only partially colorblind? D:
Mistaque
Mage LV 63/45
Mage  LV 63/45

Postby Tehwilburforce » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:20 pm

I did not know that Valve does that. I knew they were awesome already, but that's really considerate of them. Does the colorblind mode change up the look of the game much or would someone who isn't colorblind not notice much of a difference?

The floating frog in that video just didn't really seem to care, though, for all I know, he could've been thinking, "What the f%#k is going on? Are you thinking about creating physics engines for games with your degree. That part of gaming really isn't my thing, but I like seeing how differently physics are tuned to fit particular aspects of different games. I want to get into games, but I'd be much more comfortable drawing concept art or writing scripts.

Martial Arts are awesome, but I've never really been able to get into them. One that really catches my eye is Capoeira. The fact that it combines dance and fighting is rather awesome. Have you ever tried it before?

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby XelaReko » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 am

@Mistaque: I am Blue-Yellow colorblind which means I see everything in shades of red, white, and blue usually (GO AMERICA/FRANCE/BRITAIN/A LOT OF OTHER COUNTRIES!)

@Tehwilburforce: Valve is awesome! They usually change game-play dependent stuff like the glow around people in left 4 dead so that they don't look the same. Little things like that which add up to a very happy customer.

Yeah, the frog kicked the wall before we started recording and spun like crazy and then he didn't move much. I think it scared him.

@Bear: Shao Lin is awesome! I always loved the way it looks like it just flows, but its peaceful appearances hide some really efficient and powerful strikes! It doesn't take much to started in the martial arts. You would be surprised how much you can learn by simply doing a two day a week at a beginner class and training for 30 minutes on the off days.

I usually differentiate between academic grammar and social grammar. Academic grammar is strict and complex while the only rule that matters in social grammar is that you made your point clear!
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby XelaReko » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 am

Ghak! I missed one of Tehwilburforce's questions! I have tried Capoeira, but found out that my legs refuse to be above my head. My other training makes it feel so... wrong. It is sad because it is probably the easiest one to learn here because there is a really good school.

When I went to go check it out, they put you in groups based on how good you are and by the end, I was surrounded by 5 and 6 year-olds. I talked to the teacher and said it wasn't going to work out and he pretty much agreed.

I also have some issues with the ideology with Capoeira. It was a martial art hidden in a dance and I feel it lost some of it's purity when it did that. That said, it doesn't make it less effective. I have been somehow kicked in the chin out of no where while sparring with Capoeira students. Seriously, it is like they have a rocket on their foot and can turn it on a dime!
XelaReko
Acolyte LV 63/45
Acolyte  LV 63/45

Next

Return to Hi! I'm New Here!