[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - 'Ello mates!
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Introductions Hi! I'm New Here!

'Ello mates!

Welcome! Come on over and tell us a bit about yourself~

'Ello mates!

Postby Doctor G33K » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Despite the British greetings and Doctor Who fanaticism, I hail from the mystical land of New York.

Some of you may know me from the Terraria Online forums, where I am one of the moderators. Yes, that is how I found the comic. :P Others may have seen me on youtube. That would be interesting, seeing as my youtube channel of over 2500 subs and 1.5 million views is dead on account of me not posting very often. XD Viral walkthroughs, what can I say. Anyway, I'm here to hang out and chill with some fellow gamers. Maybe get a little inspiration for the future.

Couple years time I'll be in college, major being Videogame Design. I plan to get a masters in it, and then either go indie, or try to get hired by a company that ISN'T EA or Ubisoft. I have big plans for the future, and I take this very seriously. So hopefully I'll get into a good college for it, and then make money doing something I love!

Anyway, that's it for my introduction. Nothing much more to say.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly
big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but
that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
~R.I.P. Douglas Adams (I promise I'll stop confusing you with Stephen Douglas)
Doctor G33K
Bard LV 75/44
Bard  LV 75/44

Re: 'Ello mates!

Postby Bear » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Welcome to the forums Doc-doc-doc-doc-doctor Geek!

It's very awesome that you are looking into being a game designer, it's nice to see some ambitious people here. Indie would be especially awesome if you find a great team of friends in college to make something that you can own and put your heart and soul into, but working for a great studio either way sounds very exhilarating. The great thing is your team doesn't even have to be very large and you get to own your own stuff.

Never forget your dreams and be willing and able to make sacrifices necessary to make them come true. If you put forth all of your effort, the doors will open for you to do what you want =)

Welcome to our forums and be sure to make yourself at home!
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby Tehwilburforce » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey Doc. Mind if I call you that? Anyway, I think that's awesome that you want to go into game design. That's what I'll be going into school next year for, as well. If you're still looking, UT Dallas (the school I'll be attending) has a nice program for it. I am curious, though. What aspect of game design would you like to specialize in, if at all, or would you like to be proficient in everything.

Also, I can understand the beef with EA, but what's your problem with Ubisoft? I think they've put out a lot of great stuff recently (In fact, so has EA). There are companies that have way worse reputations (Activision... derp).

As for Youtube, I just started up a channel for Let's Plays, but I only have one (crappy practice run) so far. I was wondering how I might be able to get a decent audience once I start making videos regularly. I'd love to have a number of views in the millions someday.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby RollCasket » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Pip pop cheerio Apple Jacks good chap!

I'm sure everyone here approves of your future plans as we are all game nerds lol. I know those big companies seem evil but you shouldn't rule em out. Or at least start off indie and keep an open mind. Not saying ea or unisoft specifically, cause those wouldn't be my choices either lol. Just sayin, long as you're doing what you love the experience of a bigger company can be fun too.

In any case welcome and make yourself at home!
Icon and sig art by Feining =)
"May the earth shatter, may the oceans dry, and may the sun extinguish itself. We are demons."
RollCasket
High Priest LV 98/67
High Priest  LV 98/67

Postby ThePaul » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Fezzes and bow ties...? So not cool.

Brain encased in a robot body and pink guitar? Now that's cool /no1
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby Doctor G33K » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:39 pm

I've seen EA up close. I can guarantee you it is just as evil inside as outside.

My beef with Ubisoft is their DRM stuff. If they got rid of it I could deal with working for them, although I'd find it more limiting. They seem to make safer games, as far as I've seen.

I'm personally heading into Game Design for Game Design. Looking at RIT right now as my top choice. That means I take the tools provided by the engine and sculpt with them. I'm the dude that comes up with the basis for the game, and generally spends a decent chunk of time in front of a whiteboard writing down mad scribbles that might be interpreted as insanity, and are in some cases signs of insanity. I plan on buying ideapaint (Google it) to paint my walls when I settle down into a house. I already have 500+ ideas that haven't been done in games, and at least 10+ are 100% viably unique. There's one I'm super proud of, but is probably too confusing. I'd need to dumb it down so it would be sellable, that is playing in 4 dimensions. You'd control and see three dimensions at a time, and hotkeys would switch which of the three you're in at a time. I figure out how to render the engine, and how to render characters in game. I figured out hit collision. Biggest problem is map design, as that actually requires thinking in 4 spatial dimensions. And it's difficult to make any decent sized levels in my head taking that into account. I MAY have worked out a way around that too, but that's a bit complicated to explain.

I also have a bunch of generic ideas that just aren't done enough. I plan on being much harsher on players than today's developers are. Your player's level will go in more than one direction, as it used to in the past.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly
big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but
Doctor G33K
Bard LV 75/44
Bard  LV 75/44

Postby Tehwilburforce » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Haha. Most of my ideas are based around stories, not gameplay. That's because I want to be more of a writer/concept artist. I'd like to work my way up to being a game director, so I understand that I'd need a basic understanding of the programming aspect as well. I think working for a developer would be fun either way.

-Sailor Mercury
Tehwilburforce
High Mage LV 40/30
High Mage  LV 40/30

Postby TenaciousTinkerer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:59 pm

g'day doctor and i see you didn't do that fliped avatar thing on these fourms and for that idea you came up with this is what i have to say. It is very original as i never heard of a game pushing the boundries of the 3 dimesions but i kinda can't imagine how a 4th dimesion would look like in the first place when your viewing through it. but wow you are gonna be a great video game designer if you can come up with originality like this.
Big sword you say!? Im in :D
TenaciousTinkerer
Knight LV 68/1
Knight  LV 68/1

Location: Somewhere blasting, N smashing stuff with a laser greatsword

Postby Doctor G33K » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:08 pm

The idea isn't new, but I think I'm one of the few people who can really understand 4th spatial dimensions in their head that's interested in game design, so I have a unique method of dumbing it down. Breaking it down into 3 dimensions makes it very simple for people to deal with. I could do two dimensions, but believe it or not that would make it harder on the player (and MUCH harder on the designer).

I do some writing in my spare time as well. I'm hoping that games I end up designing end up ending with some horrific failure of the main character or something. I'm not afraid to kill people off. At the same time, I won't be going all Fallout 3 on everyone.

Doctor G33K
Bard LV 75/44
Bard  LV 75/44

Postby TenaciousTinkerer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Yep my brain just shut down after trying to make sense of this :| . but hope this idea works or any other ideas you can come up with.
Big sword you say!? Im in :D
TenaciousTinkerer
Knight LV 68/1
Knight  LV 68/1

Location: Somewhere blasting, N smashing stuff with a laser greatsword

Next

Return to Hi! I'm New Here!