[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Old lady art
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

Old lady art

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Re: Old lady art

Postby Pie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks for sharing your craft Farore. I know it sounds cliched, but it looks great. XD It must be pretty cool to be able to make knit crafts. I don't know anything really about crocheting, but can you make hats, dolls, gloves, etc. too? It reminds me of how I wanted to take home economics in middle school to learn some useful basic skills like sewing but couldn't because my school discontinued it a year before. '_'
Pie
Gypsy LV 87/55
Gypsy  LV 87/55

Postby Farore » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 am

You can make just about anything crocheting that you can make knitting! I tend to stick to blankets and scarves just because they're easier, usually anyways. Unlike knitting where you use two knitting needles crocheting is done with a single crochet hook. They vary in sized from itty-bitty to about the thickness of a finger or thumb. This one was made with a size I hook that is 5.5 millimeters in diameter. They look like a pencil with a rounded hook on the end and a bit squished in the middle. I'm horrible with descriptions, it might be better to just google a picture of one >.<

I took Home economics when I was in middle school, 5th grade I believe, but the quarter I had it was focused on cooking. I was a giant loner so when we formed groups I was left to be in the group with the only other person groupless. It turned out okay though because we still made the same size recipe (for four) but got to split it between the two of us! End tangent.

I had my grandmother show me how to knit once. I *can* knit, just not very well and not very quickly. Knitting is very unforgiving, a dropped stitch can essentially unravel an piece if not caught. In crocheting you can miss a stitch and it won't compromise the integrity. I personally find it easier, but some people find it the other way around. I'm working on a new blanket now (this one is for ME, I made the blue one for Roll). It is black and red and has a shell pattern. When I'm done I'll throw some pictures up. This one seems like it will take less time so long as I don't get distracted too much!
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby ThePaul » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:40 pm

My middle school's Home Ecc class was only cooking and interior decorating. Although, it was lumpEd into a four for one combo class with HomeEcc, Technology, Art, and Typing. Different class every quarter.
I am not a reasonable man.
ThePaul
Minstrel LV 96/65
Minstrel  LV 96/65

Postby th3squirr3l » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I had a mandatory Home Ec. class every semester during middle school. It rotated with a woods shop class. Other than all the delicious food stuffs we made, I made a hoodie, some awesome rainbow t(y/i?)edye pajama pants, a pillow... And probably some other stuff xD
th3squirr3l
Sage LV 97/50
Sage  LV 97/50

Postby Luc of True Wind » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Wow I can't believe some of you had Home Ec. classes! The LAUSD has not had it since like 1970 something maybe and that's pushing it! Not to mention how broken our district is... but I digress :)

Your crochet blanket is so beautiful! We know kitty loves it /lv
Luc of True Wind
High Mage LV 52/40
High Mage  LV 52/40

Postby Farore » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Why I never get anything done in a timely manner:

Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Farore » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:24 am

Wooo done!

Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Doctor G33K » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:41 am

Neato!

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly
big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but
that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
~R.I.P. Douglas Adams (I promise I'll stop confusing you with Stephen Douglas)
Doctor G33K
Bard LV 75/44
Bard  LV 75/44

Postby Bear » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:56 am

Looking great Farore! It looks so comfy and warm. Pie and I love to take pillow and blankets to the couch and chat or watch movies together, so I hope you and Roll get some mileage out of your hand grafted goodness. If your cat will let you, of course XD
Bear
Arc Bishop LV 149/120
Arc Bishop  LV 149/120

Postby TenaciousTinkerer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:37 am

Oooh check pattern :3
Big sword you say!? Im in :D
TenaciousTinkerer
Knight LV 68/1
Knight  LV 68/1

Location: Somewhere blasting, N smashing stuff with a laser greatsword

PreviousNext