[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4285: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4289: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Forum in Aggro • View topic - Toys
Board index   FAQ   Search  
Register  Login
Board index Entertainment Other Shiny Things

Toys

Not games but still cool art & entertainment stuff we find interesting!

Toys

Postby TheNesta » Mon May 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey all, feeling particularly hyper tonight because of the upcoming release of Diablo 3. So wasting some time writing stuff.

Anyone like Toys? Like, real Toys, not like, you know... adult stuff. I myself have quite a fondness from toys going back to my childhood. Equally as powerful as my passion for games was my passion for toylines. You know I had to have every Ghostbuster, Ninja Turtle, and Power Ranger around. Eventually I merged my two favorite things and started buying video game related toys.

As it stands today, I'm more of a Figure/Statue collector than anything else. I have more than a few of my favorite ladies from video games and anime in PVC form. I'd love to share some with you, but they're all packed away in boxes from when I moved a few months ago. Some of my favorites though are my KOS-MOS and T-elos. And I also have a few Figmas and Nendoroids of Hatsune Miku, Black Rock Shooter, and Dead Master.

is one of my favorite sites to visit as they usually have drop dead gorgeous galleries of figures that I wish I could afford. And if you're not into the whole sexy anime lady thing, they also have weird customs, Dunnies, and other oddities that might be more your style.

Another reason I wanted to post this was because I wanted to pimp my blog again (shameless), as I just wrote another -what is in my opinion- a pretty fun piece about random toys from the 90s that I thought were totally rad. Here's a link to both of those:

I plan to do more of those whenever I'm not lazy.

So, with all that said. Anyone else like toys?
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Re: Toys

Postby Adol The Red » Mon May 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Gotta love toys. Always had a lot of toys, but usually random stuff. No GI Joe collection or anything like that. Did have an absolute ton of hotwheels, though. Also, I randomly had a Snake Mountain, and didn't know what it even was until recently when I was talking to Alexx. The best thing I had, though, and I have no idea how we afforded this, was my powerwheels bigfoot. I loved that thing.

As far as statues go I have a few, but the most noteworthy is my Dizzy. That cost... yeah, that cost a lot.

Now I'm gonna sit back and wait till Alexx finds this thread and takes over.
Epic , brah!
Adol The Red
High Swordman LV 63/45
High Swordman  LV 63/45

Location: The Island of Sieren. I was on a ship, but I'm Adol so...

Postby Alexx » Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Yes! I'll try not to fill up this thread, but I'll start with this: . I review G.I. Joes over there in that section of the forum, and I eventually plan on opening up a blog or some such thing to start reviewing other toys 'n such. In fact, I liked how your blog was set up, Nesta! I've looked at Tumblr, but it seems like you can only post one pic at a time on the one I opened. Am I wrong?

Anyway, other than the Joe reviews I also have a ton of toy jokes spread all over various forums, though I've put a bunch of He-Man.org for the new Masters of the Universe Classics toyline (which will eventually be put on whatever blog I end up making).

So yeah, I LIKE TOYS. I currently collect anything that seems interesting, though my main ones are Joes, MotUC, and superheros on the side. Largest collections include the ones mentioned, and: Mobile Suit in Action (MSiA), Transformers (though I'm trying to cut those down), Legos, and a large amount of anything video game related that I can find (for instance, Bandai's recent D-Arts line has made fantastic figures of Mega Man X, Zero, and soon to be VILE).

I'll wait until we get a theme goin' to say more, 'cause I'm seriously interested in toys in general. There are so many different things I love about various toys, so I look forward to wherever this goes!
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Postby chrisb » Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 pm

I've been collecting these big head Marvel figures from the toy coin machines. They're too cute and awesome.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsallian ... arvels.jpg
chrisb
Undeclared
Undeclared

Postby TheNesta » Mon May 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh man, Awesome! I'm glad you guys are into it. Hm, let's see...

@Adol - Oh man, I had to look up Snake Mountain, but it's pretty radical. That's just the kind of shit I had as a kid. Had all kinds of playsets like that. In fact, over here in the closet I have, boxed, a Daily Bugle set from Spider-man, that has some ridiculous stuff in it.

Oh! I also had the BigFoot Powerwheel! Sadly I can't really remember much about actually using it, because my earliest memory of it is being too big to use it anymore, haha. It stuck around in my backyard for probably two decades until we finally got rid of it.

As for your Dizzy, consider me extremely jealous. I don't know which one you have, but I always wanted this

@Alexx - Damn, that's awesome man! I really like what I'm seeing of these Joes sets. Oddly enough, I was just listening to old episodes of The Giant Bombcast and they went on this whole tangent about G.I. Joes, and I felt like I really missed out on it back in the day. That is to say, back when the cartoon was a thing. Cause I think Joes have been around forever. My Dad will still sometimes talk about his G.I. Joes with "Life-like hair, and Kung-fu grip.". (My Dad is 52)

But, man, it sounds like you've got all the cool stuff. I'm extremely envious of your Mobile Suit in Action stuff, I've been a fan of Gundam since the late 90s, and have tried flirting with a few things like Garage Kits. They always ended poorly though.

As for Tumblr. I'll be honest, I'm still not a pro at it, and I've been using it for about two years now. I'm not sure what you saw, but I can tell you that it's possible to do something like your G.I. Joe sets on there easily enough. So you might want to look into it. If you ever get that up and running, let me know, cause I'd be interested to see it.

@chrisb - Neat! With The Avengers craze and everything right now, I wouldn't mind some Marvel stuff myself. My friend just got a few of these things called Marvel Grab Zags, which are kind of similar. The thing with them though, and maybe with yours too, is that you don't know which one you're going to get. Blindbags in the case of the Zags. It's a terrible practice that is all too popular in Japan, and it really sucks. As for my friend, she stood there in the shop and kept opening them until she got a full set of Avengers - oops!
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby TheNesta » Mon May 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Aside from that, if you guys wanted a theme to go with... uhh... well how about Legos? I know Alexx mentioned them, and honestly, who doesn't love Legos? I had a ton of them back in the day, sadly all of them lost now.

I remember my favorite ones were the Knights sets. I had back in the day as well as a bunch of other random Knights, Dragons, and other Fantasy creatures.

Nowadays the Lego Kingdoms line looks even more awesome then it was back then with stuff like , , and .

Sorry, I really like Medieval stuff - a lot.

Aside from that, there's so many other cool Lego things now. Phil Theobald over at the Player One Podcast tweeted daily during the month of December (I think) with pictures of a Star Wars kit that had you build something new everyday. Shit like that just seems so cool. Especially if I was still a kid.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby TheNesta » Mon May 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Uhg, in my hastiness I forgot to check any of those links, and it looks like none of them work. Sorry guys! /omg

Anyways, it was a bunch of Castles n' shit. Ya know.
TheNesta
Rogue LV 80/48
Rogue  LV 80/48

Postby Farore » Tue May 15, 2012 12:11 am

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't get any pictures of my toys and, of course, stuffed animals. I have a ton of random stuff, from pins to figures to stuffed animals and everything in between.

OMG LEGOS! At home I have a giant Tupperware tub FULL of Legos. I love building stuff, so much so that my first year of university I was studying architecture. But that fizzled out when I realized that the vast majority of people in the field are.. not so nice.

And I won't lie, I had an everliving EFF ton of Barbies when I was little. Like.. tubs and tubs of them. My sister and I each had these three piece, two story Barbie houses. I had the motorhome, the corvette, and clothes. So many clothes. To top it off we even had a bright pink Barbie "life size" corvette that my sister and I drove around in. It wasn't actually life size, but I can't think of what to describe it too. It was.. you know.. like those mini jeeps and trucks and stuff they have for boys? Well this one was pink, and a corvette. And we knocked the mirrors off so many times my parents got sick of gluing them on so they put Velcro on them so we could just stick them back on.
Farore
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Kerreth » Tue May 15, 2012 12:46 am

I was writing this post and got a little distracted...

Because Ryder wanted to show me Perry the Platypult.
Kerreth
High Acolyte LV 63/45
High Acolyte  LV 63/45

Postby Alexx » Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 am

Ah, Legos. That's an interest that I always considered "dormant", because it could blow at any time. The only reason I ever ignored Legos was because of how expensive they are. As I had already stated: I collect a LOT of different toys, and it doesn't leave room in the budget for everything I want to get.

So bascially - for a good while - I bought very few Legos and told friends 'n family that, although I don't buy them, I still LOVE them, and they make great gifts if you have no idea what to get me for holidays and my birthday. Any Legos; doesn't matter. So for a bit I had some cool Castle sets from my mom that I let sit around until the Lego bug bit me and I put 'em together. Sadly, as I expected; putting them together erupted the dormant volcano and I HAD to buy another set. It was when the Pharaoh's Curse sets were just coming out and they really took my interest.

So I bought bought a set with some gift cash and sat down to build it...and my wife was attracted to the sound of something being built. She never had many legos growing up, but she is a big fan of putting things together (she has lots of Puzz3D sets and a few Erector sets, some normal puzzles, and various other things that require building) so she sat down with me and asked if she could help. I was more than happy to let her, because I honestly don't like doing repeat items like legs (which are just the same thing over again). Well...the bug bit her as well. HARD.

So now we're sitting on more Legos than even I ever had growing up. She really likes any of the big buildings and ships, so we've got a castle, some towns, three ships (one gigantic one), the modular buildings (most of them) and just a ton of various other items. AND THEN, of course, her Lego buying only fueled my dormant interest and let the lava flow freely, so then I got a ton of stuff as well....oy! Needless to say, we have a lot of new boxes and shelves that now contain Legos. Our future idea (for when we have a house) is to get some big tables and set up a whole Lego world - you know, a place for medieval times, a place for current city times, space, pirates, etc etc. I'd like it to look like all you need to do is travel a bit and you'd be in another world.
"Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog
Alexx
Knight LV 98/50
Knight  LV 98/50

Next

Return to Other Shiny Things